Sales ads to make you think....

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Once in a while I visit a sales site we have here see what is out there for sale in the line of motorcycles...

Once in a while I come across a few ads where the seller is really dreaming...

This one for instance, a 2017 gen 2 for $20k.....low kms but still a gen 2....two lines away from this is a brand new gen 3 for $23k...

Once in a while I visit a sales site we have here see what is out there for sale in the line of motorcycles...

This one for instance, a 2017 gen 2 for $20k.....low kms but still a gen 2....two lines away from this is a brand new gen 3 for $23k...

People went crazy on pricing during the pandemic. They hate knowing things arent worth that price anymore.

I just bought a Goldwing. I offered the guy half of what he was asking. He scoffed at me.

Called me 3 months later and accepted the offer.

Things are about to get worse for values.

People went crazy on pricing during the pandemic. They hate knowing things arent worth that price anymore.

I just bought a Goldwing. I offered the guy half of what he was asking. He scoffed at me.

Called me 3 months later and accepted the offer.

Things are about to get worse for values.
Prices of everything went nuts during the pandemic and bartering wasn't an option....if you wanted it, you paid what was asked or get into a bidding war...it brought out the worst in people it seems...

Now we see the residual of this but the difference is people aren't playing the game...ask too much (like this guy in this ad) and you will hold onto your bike for a long time as Hayabusas are always a tough sell...

Prices of everything went nuts during the pandemic and bartering wasn't an option....if you wanted it, you paid what was asked or get into a bidding war...it brought out the worst in people it seems...

Now we see the residual of this but the difference is people aren't playing the game...ask too much (like this guy in this ad) and you will hold onto your bike for a long time as Hayabusas are always a tough sell...
And people are now starting to feel the effects of the Honeymoon phase being over. The toys they bought, and the pinch they find themselves in now aren't going to go well.

During the pandemic, I bid on a Marshall's auction ocean going catamaran. Did my homework for months. Knew roughly if I could get in under $120K I'd be safe.

Showed up thinking who the hell would come to this out of the way place to bid. There were 38 bidders! Opening bid was $210K. It went for $270K! Took about 6 mins to auction it off.

On its best day that boat wasn't worth $270K. And on this day it needed at least $45K to make it seaworthy.

They better love it. Because they are never going to come close to getting that price for it.

"If I can't get $20,000 cash I'm keeping it so that I can get $30,000 for it next year. "

Dude...wut?

When ebay matured from a great value to a home business for millions, the used goods market was then ruined. As a large number of people sell and resell the same used goods over and over, the prices of every secondhand household good has permanently been sent through the roof. We felt the recent vehicle shortage more merely because vehicles are particularly costly, but otherwise I do not think that there was any meaningful change in human nature during the COVID pandemic.

Even houses were going like hotcakes....

The house across the street went for $50k over asking......and there wasn't even a "for sale" sign put in the yard and there were over 40 bidders....

Crazy....

One house up the street was listed for over $900k....it didn't sell then but just went for $600k.....

Is the same story down here. Beat up 2009s with bunch of abuse at the track for 12k because it has an arm and some LEDs. Some gen3s have been listed for months for 22k, then 20k, then 18k and description says “just put it back to stock” which means it was slammed, strapped, stretched and a lot of those 2000 miles on the odometer were put on it going down the track.
Home prices are no different. People get excited when they see what they can make off their current homes so they sell, but stay in the area, which makes zero sense. Why would you leave the comfort of your home to turn around and be homeless while you fight with others over your next potential home that costs more than what you just walked away from or blow over 30k living in a rental for a year while your new (crappy) construction is being built. These builders can’t pump houses out fast enough and quality has suffered. I went to do a pre-closing inspection on a relative’s new home and the guy had to get me a second roll of blue tape for me to mark all the issues they needed to correct before closing day and closing still got pushed because city inspector failed it due to a toilet being too close to the wall. I couldn’t believe it. They build thousands of homes and they can’t install a toilet to code? The toilet paper holder can’t be reached either unless you are a basketball player so it just sits there empty staring at you, while you use the paper on the portable toilet paper holder that sits next to it.

Is the same story down here. Beat up 2009s with bunch of abuse at the track for 12k because it has an arm and some LEDs. Some gen3s have been listed for months for 22k, then 20k, then 18k and description says “just put it back to stock” which means it was slammed, strapped, stretched and a lot of those 2000 miles on the odometer were put on it going down the track.
Home prices are no different. People get excited when they see what they can make off their current homes so they sell, but stay in the area, which makes zero sense. Why would you leave the comfort of your home to turn around and be homeless while you fight with others over your next potential home that costs more than what you just walked away from or blow over 30k living in a rental for a year while your new (crappy) construction is being built. These builders can’t pump houses out fast enough and quality has suffered. I went to do a pre-closing inspection on a relative’s new home and the guy had to get me a second roll of blue tape for me to mark all the issues they needed to correct before closing day and closing still got pushed because city inspector failed it due to a toilet being too close to the wall. I couldn’t believe it. They build thousands of homes and they can’t install a toilet to code? The toilet paper holder can’t be reached either unless you are a basketball player so it just sits there empty staring at you, while you use the paper on the portable toilet paper holder that sits next to it.
They built a new subdivision near me and the homes there sold for either close to $500 k or over.....

We have a thing called "Tardif new home warranty" which is good for 5 yrs of new home ownership....most of these homes have used up all of this warranty for things like leaking basements, doors that won't close due to warped wood in the frames, etc...

When the homes were under construction I noted the wood was out on the lot for a long time before being put into use.....

On the toy note, a neighbor wanted a Polaris RZR side by side a couple years ago and found only one in the area, he had to put a $1000 non-refundable deposit on it....and pay the sticker price....the sellers were definitely in the driver's seat....

They built a new subdivision near me and the homes there sold for either close to $500 k or over..... We have a thing called "Tardif new home warranty" which is good for 5 yrs of new home ownership....most of these homes have used up all of this warranty for things like leaking basements, doors that won't close due to warped wood in the frames, etc... When the homes were under construction I noted the wood was out on the lot for a long time before being put into use..... On the toy note, a neighbor wanted a Polaris RZR side by side a couple years ago and found only one in the area, he had to put a $1000 non-refundable deposit on it....and pay the sticker price....the sellers were definitely in the driver's seat....
They built a new subdivision near me and the homes there sold for either close to $500 k or over..... We have a thing called "Tardif new home warranty" which is good for 5 yrs of new home ownership....most of these homes have used up all of this warranty for things like leaking basements, doors that won't close due to warped wood in the frames, etc... When the homes were under construction I noted the wood was out on the lot for a long time before being put into use..... On the toy note, a neighbor wanted a Polaris RZR side by side a couple years ago and found only one in the area, he had to put a $1000 non-refundable deposit on it....and pay the sticker price....the sellers were definitely in the driver's seat....
They built a new subdivision near me and the homes there sold for either close to $500 k or over.....

We have a thing called "Tardif new home warranty" which is good for 5 yrs of new home ownership....most of these homes have used up all of this warranty for things like leaking basements, doors that won't close due to warped wood in the frames, etc...

When the homes were under construction I noted the wood was out on the lot for a long time before being put into use.....

On the toy note, a neighbor wanted a Polaris RZR side by side a couple years ago and found only one in the area, he had to put a $1000 non-refundable deposit on it....and pay the sticker price....the sellers were definitely in the driver's seat....
They only give you 1 year here and any issues are dragged until you are out of warranty and then they ignore you. Friend of mine bought a house and 6 months later the AC broke. She is a very nice lady but all the runaround they gave her brought her ugly side out for sure and they had to make it right for her.
As for other high dollar items, I haven’t been on the market for anything new in a couple of years so not sure how crazy things are right now, but the neighbor wanted a new Colorado and put a refundable deposit on it. A couple of months later the dealer called and said a truck matching his “must have” list had just arrived but the manager needed to talk to him about it first. He was told he had to pay an extra 7k dollars “market adjustment mark up” above the price. He gave them the middle finger, asked for his deposit back immediately and invited our other neighbor to fly to Georgia with him to help him drive back a truck he found for retail price at a dealer near Atlanta. I pray that nothing significant happens to our vehicles that forces us to go shopping.

They only give you 1 year here and any issues are dragged until you are out of warranty and then they ignore you. Friend of mine bought a house and 6 months later the AC broke. She is a very nice lady but all the runaround they gave her brought her ugly side out for sure and they had to make it right for her.
As for other high dollar items, I haven’t been on the market for anything new in a couple of years so not sure how crazy things are right now, but the neighbor wanted a new Colorado and put a refundable deposit on it. A couple of months later the dealer called and said a truck matching his “must have” list had just arrived but the manager needed to talk to him about it first. He was told he had to pay an extra 7k dollars “market adjustment mark up” above the price. He gave them the middle finger, asked for his deposit back immediately and invited our other neighbor to fly to Georgia with him to help him drive back a truck he found for retail price at a dealer near Atlanta. I pray that nothing significant happens to our vehicles that forces us to go shopping.
My son is in the market and put a deposit down on a Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid....the wait is 18 months and full retail sticker price...

My wife will soon be in the market and although I've been after her for 4 yrs to get a new vehicle, she just loves her Ford that she will drive it until it melts underneath her....we've had it oiled and undercoated since new and still it is rusting bad....the province switched road salt to a brine which gets into every crack and crevice....

The last hurricane that came through here was Sally. Followed by an unnamed store dubbed Theta.

DR Horton neighborhoods lost a ton more rooves than any of the others. Those neighborhoods were supposed to be built to the newest fortified standards. It's obvious they were not. DR is being sued. But what also has become problematic is that DR brought up the homes were all inspected and passed by the city/county inspectors.

And of course the insurance carriers are trying to drop anything built by DR.

It's a mess that will drag out for years.

And so many people are moving here, they either don't research or don't care. DR houses are at lower price points than comparable square footage homes built by others.

My son is in the market and put a deposit down on a Hyundai Santa Fe hybrid....the wait is 18 months and full retail sticker price...

My wife will soon be in the market and although I've been after her for 4 yrs to get a new vehicle, she just loves her Ford that she will drive it until it melts underneath her....we've had it oiled and undercoated since new and still it is rusting bad....the province switched road salt to a brine which gets into every crack and crevice....
18 months is ridiculous.
Good luck finding a vehicle for the wife and not getting ripped off too bad. I don’t know how you all deal with buying expensive new vehicles to drive them on all that slush that eats them up. It would make me sick!! I mean, it makes me sick if I have to leave my truck out of the garage in the sun and rain for a few days. LOL!!

Last edited:
The last hurricane that came through here was Sally. Followed by an unnamed store dubbed Theta.

DR Horton neighborhoods lost a ton more rooves than any of the others. Those neighborhoods were supposed to be built to the newest fortified standards. It's obvious they were not. DR is being sued. But what also has become problematic is that DR brought up the homes were all inspected and passed by the city/county inspectors.

And of course the insurance carriers are trying to drop anything built by DR.

It's a mess that will drag out for years.

And so many people are moving here, they either don't research or don't care. DR houses are at lower price points than comparable square footage homes built by others.
That’s the scary part with these new constructions. I recently redid my roof and they told me it needed extra work to get it up to current standards (it was the original roof from 2001) and I was shocked at the amount of extra nails they had to put in to get it up to new codes. It took them an extra day measuring, marking and nailing before the “liner” and then shingles went on. DR has had a lot of complaints down here too and last year a lot of their new homes also sustained roof damage, so you know they are not doing things the right way and to code.

18 months is ridiculous.
Good luck finding a vehicle for the wife and not getting ripped off too bad. I didn’t know how you all deal with buying expensive new vehicles to drive them on all that slush that eats them up. I would make me sick!! I mean, it makes me sick if I have to leave my truck out of the garage in the sun and rain for a few days. LOL!!
It's a tough thing for sure...

Maybe the new vehicle will be aluminum so only partially melt from the salt....

When I drive by the Toyota dealership here, you could play street hockey in their parking lot because they have no new cars at all...

That’s the scary part with these new constructions. I recently redid my roof and they told me it needed extra work to get it up to current standards (it was the original roof from 2001) and I was shocked at the amount of extra nails they had to put in to get it up to new codes. It took them an extra day measuring, marking and nailing before the “liner” and then shingles went on. DR has had a lot of complaints down here too and last year a lot of their new homes also sustained roof damage, so you know they are not doing things the right way and to code.
When I was helping my late father in law build his garage, we buttered the back of the shingles with melted tar to stick them along with nails....the winds out there are constantly strong and in the winter can get down right nasty....

It's a tough thing for sure...

Maybe the new vehicle will be aluminum so only partially melt from the salt....

When I drive by the Toyota dealership here, you could play street hockey in their parking lot because they have no new cars at all...
If it’s aluminum body then you’ll only have to worry about replacing the frame rails when they rust away with 2x4s and it’ll be good as new. :laugh: I was shocked too when I stopped by my local dealer to get something for my Tacoma. The front of the showroom just outside the glass doors that they normally use to display their top of the line vehicles had a Corolla and a bare bones sr5 tundra. The rest of the lot wasn’t looking any better.

When I was helping my late father in law build his garage, we buttered the back of the shingles with melted tar to stick them along with nails....the winds out there are constantly strong and in the winter can get down right nasty....
Down here they want over $20k for a new roof on a 2k square foot home and they want to nickel and dime you on top of that even with removing and reinstalling gutters so you know they are not going the extra mile and just do the bare minimum so they can move on to the next home.

If it’s aluminum body then you’ll only have to worry about replacing the frame rails when they rust away with 2x4s and it’ll be good as new. :laugh: I was shocked too when I stopped by my local dealer to get something for my Tacoma. The front of the showroom just outside the glass doors that they normally use to display their top of the line vehicles had a Corolla and a bare bones sr5 tundra. The rest of the lot wasn’t looking any better.
The boy wanted a Rav 4 hybrid but they couldn't even give him a timeline to get one.....

Another friend of mine wanted a new Tundra special edition something or other....they took so long he bought a Raptor instead....

Back