Rough Weather Morning..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Just had a small tornado go through the other side of the little town I live by. Tore up a few buildings then passed on toward the NW side of Springfield. Now we have heavy rain and some unreal straight line winds. Hurricane straps on my roof are earning their keep. More lightening & thunder moving in I hear.
Round 2...

Definitly got a lot of rain in the last hour. From the looks of the radar it's about all passed through. I'll get out and take some pictures here in a bit.

Just saw this on the weather channel Tom, glad you guys are ok. Joplin is getting hammered and moving your way.

We've had some unusually rough weather this Spring too. Hope everyone is alright.

Definitly got a lot of rain in the last hour. From the looks of the radar it's about all passed through. I'll get out and take some pictures here in a bit.

My company's HQ on Market St in Republic has been without power for a couple of hours now...

So far the worst incident has been in a little town called Fair Grove, north of Springfield. School roof collapsed in the winds and has trapped a bunch of the kids under it. Havn't heard any injury reports yet.
Sure hope this doesn't turn out to be as ugly as it could be.:please:

Edit: Got off cheap at the school. Was the high school and only 2 kids had minor injuries.

For the most part I love spring time in the Ozarks, but sometimes it can be a little nerve wracking.

Last edited:
Same system blew thru here early this afternoon, di a lot of damage. My town (Harrisburg) is the only town around for miles with power still. Marion, Carbondale and Murphysboro are a mess, tons of residential damage. Curfew in effect in several local towns, over 60k customers without power, trees and powerlines down all over the place. National Weather Service described it as an "Inland hurricane" 80+ mph wind gusts, tornadoes, lightning, hail etc. Linky to National Weather Service story here. Bike night at the local dragstrip cancelled due to flooding and a lack of power. My son and I headed to the basement at one point, but both us and our property are fine. We have several members in the affected ares, please say a prayer for them......

Joplin area got hit good. 71,000 in the area still without power. 1500 trees uprooted. 2,000 roofs severly damaged. I have two trees uprooted. One is an evergreen lying on its side causing no damage except to the tree. The other is a large walnut tree which took out my cyclone fence, cable/electric lines and is blocking the alley behind my house. Hard to believe but Empire electric fixed the lines and I had electricity back on at 7PM. Very lucky. Debris/branches/leaves are littering the yard. Getting help today to clean up. No one hurt, no damage to the house. My dogs freaked ! Anyway, I will have some pics later today. Some of my neighbors werent as lucky. House/garage damage all around me. Fire trucks everywhere yesterday.
My wife is a floral designer and she worked yesterday. No power at the shop and no phone. Tree took it all out, including pulling the electric service off the building and it will be a couple of days before it is fixed. Will cost the shop owner a bunch of dough as they were swamped with Mothers Day orders and were expecting a lot more yesterday and today. She has insurance that will cover part of it. Today my wife is working at the Salvation Army kitchen as they need help to feed the normal group plus additional people without power. Anyway, its a mess !

In the Springfield area we ended up with a lot of trees down, lot of sign, roof, building damage. Lots of debris clean-up going on now. Completely closed down the little town of Fair Grove where the school roof collapsed. Around 8000 out of power at the peak in the city limits of Springfield. Empire District Electric (based in Joplin) claimed 83,000 out of power in their coverage area (big area) at the reak right after the storm.
Was reported that 3 tornados were in action along with 80mph straight line winds. The straight line winds are what I got, from the way the trees were leaning and everything was flying around, 80mph sounds about right.
Hope that's it for this spring, but I figure it isn't.

Back