The next 60 hours

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
The Today show just called it: "A multi-day coastal wave event"

This is from our local weather station:

Imagine three days of rain heavy at times and very windy conditions…especially near the coast. While inland winds will barely reach 30 mph, winds along the coast could easily gust between 45-50 mph for several days. This will lead to a massive build-up of water that will only get worse with each tidal high cycle starting tomorrow morning (11 Nov). While the exact height of the tidal flooding is still questionable over the next several days…the potential exists for tidal flooding that could come close to what we experienced with Hurricane Isabel in 2003 (7.9 feet above normal high tide). It will depend on the winds speeds off shore. If the winds hit 55-60 mph offshore…for several days…the flooding could even be a bit worse…while if the winds remain between 40-45 mph…the flooding will be about a foot below what we experienced during Isabel. You might remember or have heard about the Ash Wednesday storm of 1962. That storm lasted three days (sound familiar?) and brought winds over 60mph offshore. The water was one foot higher with that storm than with Isabel! This will have to watched very, very closely! Property damage could be very high if those offshore winds get over 50 mph for that length of time. Weaker dunes could be destroyed and the ocean could invade inland spots…especially along portions of the Outer Banks.

We don't live on the beach so I am not concerned about flooding, hopefully it will not be too bad for folks who live closer to the water. I'll try to get some pictures.

Is this just up in Yankee Land? I mean I am about 10 miles from the beach here... :dunno:

Is this just up in Yankee Land? I mean I am about 10 miles from the beach here... :dunno:

Yankee Land? As I recall Richmond, VA was the capital of the CSA. :poke:

Looks rough from the Outerbanks north to New Jersey. I think you are safe. :laugh:

New Jersey is def. Yankee Land...

If you don't use y'all and fixin in everyday conversation.. you're a YANKEE :poke:

I'm hating it already *sigh*

Thank goodness I'm not in a flood zone :thumbsup:

look I'm in austin and I cannot get sweet tea in more than 1/2 of the places I've been to and here I thought it was the south :whistle: ... so me thinks that even though there's enough ya'll and fixin coming outta folks mouths here, that there's plenty enough freakin yankee down here in the south too :laugh:

and FWIW, you dont start with the Yankee term til you get north of Fredricksburg VA :poke:

I saw it on the national news, good luck, keep safe. Praying for all of you in the storms path.

Ok Virginia is in a State of Emergency, storm is still gaining strength. Should be at it's worst sometime later today at high tide. Sustained 40-50 mph winds and 60 off shore. Nothern Outer Banks getting hit hard. I am trying to get BusaPebbles to let me go to take some pictures. :thumbsup:

This is just down the street from our place:

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg

Picture 009.jpg

We've got the weather channel on at work...looks like Va Beach is getting hit hard...Dino, you guys still above water?

Area schools here are closed and I have a lot of limbs down in the yard, electricity flickers some...it's a lot like Ernesto. I was shocked to see just how flooded the river was as I drove in to work today. Everyone with a pier can't see their pier anymore :(

We are high enough that I am not worried about flood water. BP said it was bad gettitng to work but she got in ok.

My kids just found out they're heading home at 1 today before we get hit harder...

You two stay safe!!

sounds like y'all are getting more of a hurricane than we did. Sounds like a good excuse to PARTY!!! :banana:

sounds like y'all are getting more of a hurricane than we did. Sounds like a good excuse to PARTY!!! :banana:

I think we have the remnants of Ida and a nor'easter clashing...yay! LOL

I'm so over it...all the yard work I've done in the last two weeks was just destroyed overnight :banghead:

Back