Rolling out another bearing post....

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Even though I was mercilessly ridiculed for my obsession with lubrication and bearings by veterans of this Forum, I will press on with today's lecture (notice embedded pun).

Blanca, turn around and face the front of class, and put away the bag of Dorito's.

Anyways, today I moved into the big league of motorcycle bearings....the steering head.
First a philosophy...if you have disassembled an area of your motorcycle that seldom or never gets attention, and it includes bearings, I think it makes sense to replace the bearings at that time. They don't cost much for top of the line replacements (except if you go to ceramics) and it just feels good to know they are new and fully efficient, EVEN THOUGH the the old ones may function OK.

Another thing I noticed in terms of my head bearings at least, is that OEM ones are roller and they sit in a two part race track (see below pics). The replacements I am using are big tapered units that sit on a one piece track surface. Also, all else being equal, tapered bearings have more contact surface doing the work so the psi is lowered due to more swept surface area (way noticible in the pics below). In some applications that may not be desirable or even relevant but in the steering head, I think it's an upgrade.

One more thing, when I was breaking down the front forks and triple tree assembly, before I removed the striped down assembly itself, I stood in front of the bike and moved the unit back and forth from lock to lock....it really concerned me when I felt how UNSMOOTH the steering action was! It felt "gritty" (if that word makes any sense) and somewhat unprecision with a "notch" in the movement when in straight ahead position. When all apart, there was nothing visible that would indicate wear or malfunction....and the bike was a well cared for Busa with 19k miles on it (the Superbyke).

More later when forks are back on! Love ya, Doyle

ps can't wait to massage these big new bearings with grease!

IMG_0018 (5).jpg

IMG_0017 (4).jpg

Doyle, where did you source the Japanese bearing from for the steering stem? I should probably do mine this winter since I'm at 65k.

Doyle, where did you source the Japanese bearing from for the steering stem? I should probably do mine this winter since I'm at 65k.

Good decision! Google "All Balls Racing"....it's all there. Doyle

So will you be applying liberal grease conservatively or liberally applying conservative grease :whistle:

timeout_kenwilcox~s600x600.jpg

Good decision! Google "All Balls Racing"....it's all there. Doyle

Doyle, Doyle, Doyle..

All Balls is complete garbage, cheap Chinese bearings. I made the mistake of replacing my front wheel bearings with them, and got 10k out of them. Left me stranded in Delta UT. My friend got less than 25k out of his and they looked like this when he pulled them out.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/tomekd65/IMG_1660.jpg

Do yourself a favor, and return that and get a good Japanese bearing. I got a set of Koyo/Nachi rear wheel bearings from bossbearing.com - they carry premium Japanese as well as cheaper sets. Sorry to rain on your parade - but my own exp with All Balls and hearing from other folks, is that they truly do suck.

All Balls is complete garbage, cheap Chinese bearings. I made the mistake of replacing my front wheel bearings with them, and got 10k out of them. Left me stranded in Delta UT. My friend got less than 25k out of his and they looked like this when he pulled them out.

We are talking a steering head here not wheel bearings that see high RPMS, heat and abuse. Those bearings are completely up to task to handle the job of turning the steering head.

Aldo for the record I do not think it's a chinese company........from everything I have ever read I believe they are a US company.

Aldo for the record I do not think it's a chinese company........from everything I have ever read I believe they are a US company.

American company maybe, selling bearings made in China. And if steering head bearings do not get abused, why do they wear out? :laugh:

Sorry man - I'd never put an all balls bearing on another bike.

American company maybe, selling bearings made in China. And if steering head bearings do not get abused, why do they wear out? :laugh:

Sorry man - I'd never put an all balls bearing on another bike.

Maybe they are selling Chinese bearings to be honest I really do not know. What information have you gathered to support that they are chinese bearings as I would like to know.

To be honest with you I have never seen a steering head bearing worn out ever, I have owned a lot of different bikes from all of the manufactures over the years American and Metric. I have parted out a whole lot of bikes over the years and I have never seen a bad steering head bearing. Sure they get dirt in them and can become "gritty" but never a failure or a worn out one.

It's my belief people change them for peace of mind or they are rebuilding there bike and go with the "replace it while it's out" thought process.

I can tell you this the bearings he has are twice the bearings that come from the OEM. The OEM bearings have a rubber type synthetic basket that you can push the balls out of easily. This tells me that his bearings are overkill if anything, and at a 1/2 RPM every few minutes I am sure they are up to the task unlike your bad experience with your wheel bearing.

Not just my experience - I know other people that they have failed on prematurely as well though.

All Balls does not make bearings, they repackage them. They use KML bearings - KML Bearing and Equipment Ltd. - China Compact Tapered Roller Bearing for Truck & Trailer,Wheel Bearing Kits (VKBA1358)

Look at the picture and zoom in.. "KML" - http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Motosport/ALB-FWB-25-1003_Main?$product_large_1000$

That said, I would not be too concerned about a steering head bearing. I just would never use another all balls Chinese bearing myself. Repackaged in America does not = Made in America :laugh:

Not just my experience - I know other people that they have failed on prematurely as well though.

All Balls does not make bearings, they repackage them. They use KML bearings - KML Bearing and Equipment Ltd. - China Compact Tapered Roller Bearing for Truck & Trailer,Wheel Bearing Kits (VKBA1358)

Look at the picture and zoom in.. "KML" - http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Motosport/ALB-FWB-25-1003_Main?$product_large_1000$

That said, I would not be too concerned about a steering head bearing. I just would never use another all balls Chinese bearing myself. Repackaged in America does not = Made in America :laugh:

You are absolutely right repackaged does not mean made in the USA.

Thanks for posting valid info about ABR bearings being KML and backing your previous statements, after a little more research with you giving me KML I believe you to be correct.:thumbsup:

Not a steering head bearing but thus I what happens with in 200 miles of a wheel bearing going bad.......

image-3456192715.jpg

image-1724852456.jpg

image-3833101496.jpg

image-3456192715.jpg

image-1724852456.jpg

image-3833101496.jpg

Maybe they are selling Chinese bearings to be honest I really do not know. What information have you gathered to support that they are chinese bearings as I would like to know.

To be honest with you I have never seen a steering head bearing worn out ever, I have owned a lot of different bikes from all of the manufactures over the years American and Metric. I have parted out a whole lot of bikes over the years and I have never seen a bad steering head bearing. Sure they get dirt in them and can become "gritty" but never a failure or a worn out one.

It's my belief people change them for peace of mind or they are rebuilding there bike and go with the "replace it while it's out" thought process.

I can tell you this the bearings he has are twice the bearings that come from the OEM. The OEM bearings have a rubber type synthetic basket that you can push the balls out of easily. This tells me that his bearings are overkill if anything, and at a 1/2 RPM every few minutes I am sure they are up to the task unlike your bad experience with your wheel bearing.

Wow!! Never? I had to replace mine 2 times on a VMAX. Common issue with them. They get a lot of abuse even more so if you do wheelies.

OK, my turn to respond (just got back from 40 full speed bicycle miles so I'm cranky, sorry in advance).
Two separate things here by me....first, I love the harassment and kidding about political views AND I have thick skin and it's fun!

Secondly, the bearings.....I go to extra effort and thought to share my upgrade experiences on improving the Superbyke, I feel it's a contribution to the org as evidenced by the comments and pm's I've gotten on the subject. That being said, I have no idea where the bearings were made, my post calls attention to things like, lubrication, tapered vrs OEM plastic caged rollers as an upgrade and pics to show the differences. As I read the "All Balls" Website I see they supply to a lot of racers, including Motocross, I will do more research (couldn't call em today because it's Vet's day).

And finally, as I look at the photo of the "failed All Balls wheel bearings" I see heavy layers of rust on all surfaces, including the actual bearings....Any bearing made in any country will react to water and road chemicals like that if they don't have adequate lubrication on them, they are bare steel. The way I perceive that pic is more of a testament to the sturdiness of the unit...that it didn't frag apart and create total failure! Anyways, the jury is out for me until I can talk to some racer friends of mine, search the internet and talk to the All Balls folks in Pennsylvania. It is very important to me because I like to think everything I do to this motorcycle is an upgrade! Doyle

Shop Owner/Past Parts Helper

Buy OEM, All Balls ARE Chinese, I suggest you not use them. I have never sold or even told you about a product that's no good, but there is a first for everything...

If you think a wheel gets put thru the pace, how do you get bike from anyone spot whether under power or not. When will you pull it apart again to check them, or will it be once something happens?

There's a reason they cheap. If you choose to use, good luck...
OK, my turn to respond (just got back from 40 full speed bicycle miles so I'm cranky, sorry in advance).
Two separate things here by me....first, I love the harassment and kidding about political views AND I have thick skin and it's fun!

Secondly, the bearings.....I go to extra effort and thought to share my upgrade experiences on improving the Superbyke, I feel it's a contribution to the org as evidenced by the comments and pm's I've gotten on the subject. That being said, I have no idea where the bearings were made, my post calls attention to things like, lubrication, tapered vrs OEM plastic caged rollers as an upgrade and pics to show the differences. As I read the "All Balls" Website I see they supply to a lot of racers, including Motocross, I will do more research (couldn't call em today because it's Vet's day).

And finally, as I look at the photo of the "failed All Balls wheel bearings" I see heavy layers of rust on all surfaces, including the actual bearings....Any bearing made in any country will react to water and road chemicals like that if they don't have adequate lubrication on them, they are bare steel. The way I perceive that pic is more of a testament to the sturdiness of the unit...that it didn't frag apart and create total failure! Anyways, the jury is out for me until I can talk to some racer friends of mine, search the internet and talk to the All Balls folks in Pennsylvania. It is very important to me because I like to think everything I do to this motorcycle is an upgrade! Doyle

Doyle you and I together would have great laughs I'm sure.

On the maintenance issue thank you for trying to keep us aware of things we should look at.

Lastly the smartazz in me can't resist.
It's just like a liberal in Cali to buy Chinese bearings....

Omg I'm sorry but I just laughed so hard!!!!

:kiss:

Back