There go my bearings

kod3001

Registered
I was washing my bike the other day, and noticed a reddish splatter on my front discs. Brake fluid leakage was my first thought.

Turned out to be the bearings, got the front wheel up with a mate, grabbed the front wheel and gave it a push/pull... click click, clickety click.

Pesky bearings knackered, glad I washed the bike now. Just had the bearings replaced and I feel considerably safer now, phew!

First time I've had them go on a bike.

Don't forget your regular checks.
smile.gif

Out of curiosity, is there a more clever way of checking the state of the bearings without having to get all the wait off the front wheel?

How old is your bike? Doesn't seem like they should have gone out alreay
rock.gif

You sure it wasn't the floating brake rotors making the clicking noise?

Its a 2000 - I wanted an unrestricted one, only 20,000 miles though.

Got a second opinion from the shop, and a whole lot of greasy muck was coming out. I think perhaps a seal? went and the water got in etc.

There was a post about this problem a couple years ago by someone else. Something about the stockers only having a seal on one side of the bearing that allowed water to get in. They bought a different bearing that was sealed on both sides.

Was it you RSD?

sorry to hear about the bearings bro, but atleast you weren't riding when it happened.
rock.gif

Already had them fitted, didn't think about different makes. Not sure either if these are sealed on both sides.

I'll have to see what I can see.

Thanks.

Back