Wheel Bearing question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I had the front wheel bearings replaced about a month ago. Put 200 miles on them and then had the front tire replaced. When I got the bike back from the shop for the tire (not the same shop as the wheel bearings) the bearing started squeaking again.

Is there a connection?

Don

Are you sure it is the bearings sqeaking? Possible it is a rotor dragging?

Shawn,
I don't think it is a rotor. This is a strange thing. It seems only to happen under acceleration. When I roll off the throttle and the weight settles back into the front suspension, it doesn't happen.

Don

More correctly it does not do it when breaking. Just rolling along or accelerating, it does it.

Don

Sounds like it's time to pull it down. I would pull the calipers first and see if the noise goes away. Just my two cents and not really worth that.

I'm going to take the damn thing back to the shop that put the tire on it. The noise wasn't there before the new tire. Just trying to get some ammo from you guys before I go into that fight.

Don

Good luck dude.
super.gif

Hey Don,

If you have a front end lift, get it up in the air and spin the front tire. You can probably tell a lot with a closer look then.

Just my 0.02
Bob

Replace the bearings... Mine did the same thing. When they cranked your wheel down on the balancer, they could have hurt them. All it takes is too much pressure to move them or ruin them. Nothing good can come from it at any speed.

I had NEW bearings installed after chroming my wheels... Then the brainchild at Cycle Gear went to balance my new wheels/tires and the bearings started to squeek afterwards.

(Tango1300 @ May 27 2007,13:05) Replace the bearings... Mine did the same thing. When they cranked your wheel down on the balancer, they could have hurt them. All it takes is too much pressure to move them or ruin them. Nothing good can come from it at any speed.

I had NEW bearings installed after chroming my wheels... Then the brainchild at Cycle Gear went to balance my new wheels/tires and the bearings started to squeek afterwards.
I am going to push the shop that did the tire to replace them for free. I have been told by a couple other people the same thing you just said. The balancer was too tight.

Don

Back