Strange noise/feeling... Wheel Bearing

c.bell

Registered
So I took a ride today (about 80 miles worth) and toward the end the front wheel of the bike started making some crazy noises. Over the past month or so there has been a slight squeaking sound when going slow (i.e. driving up my driveway/into the garage) however today the sound was loud and the handlebars are shaking. Might this be a bad wheel bearing (or two)? Also notice that the ride is "grainy" for a lack of better words... like the front wheel is dragging. What else could this be?

Thanks in advance!

Cliffs - What does a bad wheel bearing sound/feel like?

2001 with 28,000 miles... Bearings were last done 2 years ago

Bearings don't usually go bad in two years...do you have a set of stands so that you could raise the bike up and check the front end ???

Could be a warped rotor, bad brake pads, loose axle...or the bearings.

Lift the front end, remove the calipers and spin the wheel, see if the wheel is loose side to side at all, and see what is happening.
Easiest way to eliminate it IMO.

Same here, start eliminating the causes.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's the wheel bearings to me. How were they installed last time? Using a hammer and socket is not correct and will cause them to fail again prematurely. Take a look at this link, there's some good info on there:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/117125-front-wheel-bearing-question.html

And don't trust the haynes manual. Use the suzuki manual when re-installing bearings. There needs to be a small clearance between the hub and the right hand bearing. The clearance can only be achieved by using a bearing puller as described in the Suzuki manual.

If you hammer in with a socket the inner and outer races will not be aligned and will cause brinnelling and eventual failure of the bearing. Sounds like last time you installed the bearings, a hammer and socket was used. Take off the wheel and check to see if the bearings are toast.

I appreciate everyone's help.... I will let my shop take care of this one! BTW Is it safe to drive on or should I Have it towed?

Back