Rodney King Found Dead.

red1100cc

Registered
Rodney King found dead in swimming pool | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Rodney King, whose videotaped beating by police in 1991 sparked the L.A. riots, was found dead at his California home on Sunday. He was 47.

Police said King's fiancée discovered him at the bottom of the swimming pool at their Rialto, Calif., home, about 55 miles east of Los Angeles.

Police responded to a call at 5:25 a.m., pulled King out of the pool and attempted CPR, but could not revive him.

King's representative Suzanne Wickman confirmed to his death to KABC-TV. According to TMZ, King's fiancée, Cynthia Kelley, told friends King spent the bulk of Saturday drinking and "smoked marijuana at some point," before she went to went to bed at 2:00 a.m.

The cause of death is unknown, but police are investigating it as a drowning. Rialto Police Capt. Randy DeAnda told CNN there were no preliminary signs of foul play.

King was beaten by four white LAPD officers following a DUI stop on March 3, 1991. Footage captured by an amateur videographer showed the officers hitting King 56 times with wooden batons.

"I just got lucky that night to have the cameras on me," King said in April, marking the 20th anniversary of the L.A. riots. "When I saw the tape, I was so happy that it was on tape and then looking at it, it was like I was in another body. I felt like I had died in that one, and was just watching it."

The four officers--Theodore Briseno, Laurence Powell, Timothy Wind and Sgt. Stacey Koon--were acquitted of criminal charges, sparking the riots that left 55 people dead. (Koon and Powell were later found guilty of federal civil rights charges and sentenced to 30 months in prison.)

"It felt like Armageddon," King said of the acquittal. "It felt like the end of the world. I was hurt. I was past upset."

[Slideshow: L.A. riots, 20 years later]

"I was raised not to be violent, and not to be rioting and carrying on like a wild man," he added, "but at the same time, there was a side of me saying, 'What else can you do?' I didn't agree with it, but I understood."

During the five-day riots--marked by widespread looting, arson and racially-charged beatings throughout South Central L.A.--King made his famous public plea for peace: "People, I just want to say, can we all get along? Can we get along?"

"Through all that he had gone through with his beating and personal demons, he was never one to not call for reconciliation and for his people to overcome and forgive," the Rev. Al Sharpton said in a statement on Sunday.

King had long struggled with alcohol abuse. According to KABC, he was arrested or detained by police at least a dozen times on charges ranging from DUI to domestic violence.

In 2011--the 20th anniversary of his beating--King was arrested in California on suspicion of DUI.

According to TMZ, King was scheduled to compete in a celebrity boxing match against Jose Canseco in August.

Sorry to hear that he died.

It was an unfortunate situation that happen to him that brought to light about the reality of police brutality here in the US that so many people already knew existed.

Just from reading the article it says he drowned and apparently he was drinking and smoking. Easy to blame on accidental drowning and walk away from it.
In the movie if you haven't seen it the first scene Statham sneaks into a drug lords house and then slips into pool unseen, then drowns the guy and leaves making it look like an accident.

So I was just saying, maybe :dunno:

what a tragedy......:whistle: he was just some hoodlum that got high every day and lived off the tax payers money he received from a well deserved ass woopin! im quite certain few will lose any sleep over his death.

Rodney King found dead in swimming pool | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

"Through all that he had gone through with his beating and personal demons, he was never one to not call for reconciliation and for his people to overcome and forgive," the Rev. Al Sharpton said in a statement on Sunday.

King had long struggled with alcohol abuse. According to KABC, he was arrested or detained by police at least a dozen times on charges ranging from DUI to domestic violence.

I can't stand Sharpton. He is nothing but a divisive piece of crap in my book. "his people"???? Who are Rodney King's people? Drunk criminals or woman beaters? Blacks? Why the hell can't we just be Americans or people other than Americans! His people:banghead::banghead: That guy doesn't speak for anyone that isn't a greenback.

My opinion here, not trying to start an argument or offend some who might like the guy. O ya, about Rodney King, who cares. The only thing that guy ever did was get caught by some pissed off police.

Bet the LAPD is happy. I'm sure there will be riots and attacks against swimming pools all across the country tho....

The man lived a troubled life, he would have been shot by the cops today for attacking them and not obeying commands like he did. No one would ask why he was shot either. I remember thinking back then that he would have been shot by the cops in NJ, where I grew, up if he acted like he did there. Anyway, I hope he rests in peace, finally, after such a dramatic and troubled life.

what a tragedy......:whistle: he was just some hoodlum that got high every day and lived off the tax payers money he received from a well deserved ass woopin! im quite certain few will lose any sleep over his death.

So typical. Yup that's what the police get paid to do...get pissed and whoop peoples asses in the middle of the street :whistle:

He would've never got paid if they would've never violated his civil rights.

Hope it never happens to you.

Think I'll just focus on the Busa...tired of seeing peoples true "colors" behind a keyboard.

Have a great day and a safe ride.

He would've never got paid if they would've never violated his civil rights.

...just like he would never have gotten shot if he didn't attack an armed man. Oh, wait, that was a different scenario in which a criminal got what was coming to him...

Anyway, if the police handed out more public beatings to drunk drivers, I reckon there'd be fewer drunk drivers.

stangman327 said:
Think I'll just focus on the Busa...tired of seeing peoples true "colors" behind a keyboard.

Have a great day and a safe ride.

True colors?

They were never hidden or masked "colors". IMO a leaching degenerate burden has been has been lifted from society.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Forum Runner

I've got nothing against the man and his past was just that...his past. Do I feel sorry for him drowning in his pool??? Not if it was because of drugs and alcohol...just like I don’t feel sorry for Whitney Houston for drowning in her tub. Maybe now his soul can rest.

emperorGrins.jpg

Back