Burger King Lands A Whopper

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Burger King to scrap ad after complaint

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Fast food giant Burger King apologized Tuesday for an advertisement featuring a squat Mexican draped in his country's flag next to a tall American cowboy and said it would change the campaign.

Mexico's ambassador to Spain said posters released in Europe for Burger King's new Tex-Mex style "Texican whopper," a cheeseburger with chile and spicy mayonnaise, inappropriately displayed the Mexican flag, whose image is protected under national law.

The ambassador wrote a letter complaining to Burger King and requested the ad campaign be discontinued.

Burger King said the ads were meant to show a mixture of influences from the southwestern United States and Mexico, not to poke fun at Mexican culture, but said it would replace them "as soon as commercially possible."

"Burger King Corporation has made the decision to revise the Texican Whopper advertising creative out of respect for the Mexican culture and its people," it said in a statement.

"The existing campaign falls fully within the legal parameters of the United Kingdom and Spain where the commercials are being aired and were not intended to offend anyone," the company added.

A TV version of the ad shows the strapping cowboy and the pint-sized Mexican wrestler -- nicknamed "Just a Little Bit" -- living together as roommates. At one point, the American lifts up the Mexican to help him put a trophy on a high shelf.

Mexico was involved in another controversial ad campaign last year when Absolut vodka posted billboard ads in Mexico with an early 19th century map showing chunks of the United States as part of Mexico.

The campaign angered many U.S. citizens and was later dropped.

(Reporting by Mica Rosenberg; Editing by Eric Walsh)

They need to get rid of the Spongebob ads also. Sorry but I dont want my kids seeing "Baby Got Back" with a cartoon character

was it in spanish or english because if it was in english they shouldnt have been able to read it anyway
:rofl:

The ads were only released in Spain and the UK. It pokes fun at some cultural stereotypes, but the controversy is over "disrespect" to the Mexican flag and its improper display.
It does not particularly offend anybody outside of the PC United States with the humorous steretype exploitation.

Texican whopper," a cheeseburger with chile and spicy mayonnaise,

Hmm dont sound bad im going try 1.

So if they do it any chance there corrupt police will stop letting drugs come in+illegal alians?

was it in spanish or english because if it was in english they shouldnt have been able to read it anyway
:rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

They're only available for a limited time, because with our new "border czar" they may be harder to get across.

I just had my favorite fron los bravos last night.#40 beef chicken shrimp+chorizo fajitas
with all the extras .Im ready 4 another 1

Cool, Now if we can just get rid of that criminally stupid "KING" they keep trotting out we'll be in business.

Not to mention featuring Sir-Mix-A-Lot's "baby got back" to sell kids meals while talking about "booty"... WTF? I know it's sponge bob and all but the comment at the end... "Booty is Booty? I dunno, I think whomever is handling the Burger King account is completely full of fail...

Something else you haven't seen in a long time........................

10_Frito.jpg

Back