Heard this news yet?

S4L

Registered
Mich. Burger King customer's death ruled homicide | US National Headlines | Comcast.net

Mich. Burger King customer's death ruled homicide
By DAVID RUNK, AP

DETROIT — The death of a 67-year-old Burger King customer who police said fell and later died after being punched by a 20-year-old employee was ruled a homicide on Friday.

An autopsy determined that Paul Cannon died from blunt force trauma to the head, said Dennis Niemiec, a spokesman for the Wayne County medical examiner's office. An earlier report suggested the punch may have caused Cannon to choke on his dentures, but Niemiec said the dentures played no role in the death.

The employee was being held Friday and could face criminal charges. Stephens said that once the investigation is complete, the details will be submitted to county prosecutors. The prosecutor's office said Friday afternoon it had yet to receive information from police.

Police said Cannon was reportedly causing a disturbance Thursday afternoon at the restaurant on the city's east side and tried to hit the worker, who swung back.
"A verbal argument occurred," police Sgt. Eren Stephens said. "It escalated into a physical altercation."

Jerome Perdu, 59, of Detroit, works as a security guard nearby and said he was at the restaurant at the time. He said he didn't see the customer get hit, but watched as paramedics tried to revive him. The restaurant was crowded at the time, he said.

"I just seen him lying on the floor," Perdu said. "EMS was pumping him."

He died at a hospital, police said. Cannon's last known address was in Detroit, Niemiec said.

Earlier in the day, a sign on the restaurant's door indicated that only the drive-thru was open, and a steady stream of customers pulled into the parking lot. A manager who opened the locked door said any comment would come from the fast food company.

Denise Wilson, a spokeswoman for Miami-based Burger King, said that company officials were aware of the incident and the franchise owner was cooperating with police.

Who has the best facepalm pick. A man defends himself, kills a guy by a punch, and he's going to serve prison time. What have I learned today? If someone swings at me? I must not defend myself and wait the twenty minutes for the cops to arrive, that is the correct action. :banghead:

ummm, just don't hit frail old peoples?

I mean really, I haven't seen this guy, and granted some older doods will knock your block off, but don't go bashin some old guy in the face when you could easily restrain him.

It's kinda situational. If guy got one shot in the face and died, I'm guessing he wasn't a stout brawler older guy, just some cranky guy who could have been made to leave by other means.

Of course if this 20 year old is 6 foot 260, he prolly shouldn't be full force blasting anyone in the face and expect it not to severely injure them.

don't go bashin some old guy in the face when you could easily restrain him.
How do you know that he could have "easily restrained him"? - For all that employee knew, the other guy might have had a knife or a gun in his belt.
If someone tries to hit you and you hit them back, whatever happens to them is their fault, not yours.

Depends on what the video shows as to who was/is the aggressor. However, if he was truly defending himself then there will be no serious charges against him. At best a "public affray" charge. If the employee has the oppurtunity (before the blows were struck) to call for assistance then he may be in some trouble, but if he was "in fear" then he has the right to defend himself.:rulez:

If you swing on someone, you just asked him to knock you out IMO. I dont have time to check I.D. before i protect myself:rulez:

That kid must have one whopper of a right hook:whistle:

Last edited:
If you swing on someone, you just asked him to knock you out IMO. I dont have time to check I.D. before i protect myself:rulez:

That kid must have one whopper of a right hook:whistle:

TacticalFacePalm.jpg

Self defense just about doesn't exist anymore...
The guy was almost 70 years old! He had to punch him in his face? If a 30 year old woman hit you would you hit her back? It's not an eye for an eye... you have to use a little judgement at least try to restrain him.
Posted via Mobile Device

If a 30 year old woman hit you would you hit her back?
Well, I would. - Women demand equality but at the same time they think they can get away with behaving in a way that, if they were a man, would surely have earned them a punch in the head.

Well now, that story sure didn't list many known facts. I personally have no opinion since I don't know what happened. Regardless, it will all come out eventually.

Well, I would. - Women demand equality but at the same time they think they can get away with behaving in a way that, if they were a man, would surely have earned them a punch in the head.

Well I would NEVER hit a woman. Just because they want to be respected like a man doesn't mean that they are men. Ignorance is bliss...
Posted via Mobile Device

:rofl: Ogre you win, best face palm pic.

This dude was old, but that doesn't matter. An alcoholic at the age of 40 can take a good blow to the head and die. Moral of the story? Don't swing at somebody and not expect something in return.

It's called the "eggshell-skull" theory. Essentially, you take your victim as you find them. So, if it turns out that they have some unknown medical problem--like an eggshell skull, which predisposes them to an easily-fractured skull--it's your problem, not theirs.

The location has alot to do with it. Detroit yes I can expect that.
In Florida the old man would have kicked the crap out of that young whipper snapper because here they are in better shape than the rest of us. Retired and at the buffet at 7 for breakfast, the doctor at 9:15, brunch at 11:30, quick round of golf or two and then an hour or so in the gym, after that drink for two hours before dinner, go to burger king and some punk smarts off to his Iwo Jima survivor self and sorry it would not bode well for the disrespecting yewt.
And two he would not go to jail as self defense is still allowed here.

There is something known as excessive force, and not only law enforcement can be charged with it. True it is called something different from state to state. Only law enforcement have 1983 suits to think about. The issue the 20 year old is now wresting with is, What would a "reasonable" person do?

I now return you to your arm chair quarterbacking.

Back