Riding Techniques?

BusaPebbles

Registered
Hey all,

Went for a ride yesterday and only ran into one idiot trying to kill me....blue hairs....

Anyway, The wind was wicked yesterday. Everytime I would set up in a curve, the wind would blow me about 4 inches to the left. Any techniques for how to deal with the wind?

Hard to say in curves, slow down and try not to push so hard. In straight lines, you need to stay as low as possible.

Yeah, I stay pretty low in straights, which does help. Riding on the curves in backwoods VA is a little scarey. The roads are narrow and have no shoulders....very little room for error if you cross the double yellow...

Narrow roads in the backwoods should be pretty well sheltered from wind. Watch the leaves more than anything.

Yeah, I stay pretty low in straights, which does help. Riding on the curves in backwoods VA is a little scarey. The roads are narrow and have no shoulders....very little room for error if you cross the double yellow...

Sounds like you are riding out in the Pungo area in a high wind enviroment all you can do is remain low on the bike and keep the bike stable as not to upset the bike while in the turn. Also do not try to over ride your skill level save that for the track not the street that way you can hone your skill there. If you are riding the Pungo area if it is the same as when I rode it a few years back becareful and watch out for that loose gravel in the turns that was a killer when I rode it and had a few buddies low side out there.

Sounds like you are riding out in the Pungo area in a high wind enviroment all you can do is remain low on the bike and keep the bike stable as not to upset the bike while in the turn. Also do not try to over ride your skill level save that for the track not the street that way you can hone your skill there. If you are riding the Pungo area if it is the same as when I rode it a few years back becareful and watch out for that loose gravel in the turns that was a killer when I rode it and had a few buddies low side out there.

Yep, that is where I am riding. I definately do not ride over my skill level. The residents of pungo tend to make sure the roads are not clear...:whistle: I am just trying to practice for the dragon so I don't get left behind all the skilled peeps.:bowdown:

Yep, that is where I am riding. I definately do not ride over my skill level. The residents of pungo tend to make sure the roads are not clear...:whistle: I am just trying to practice for the dragon so I don't get left behind all the skilled peeps.:bowdown:

The Dragon is a more complicated road than the roads in Pungo so best thing to do is ride your own ride and do not worry about keeping up with others you will be safer that way and will enjoy it allot better. Yeah I know what you mean they used to do the same thing when was riding out there they do to keep the road racers out but we used to go out and sweep it up on the weekends to keep it clean :whistle:

I am just trying to practice for the dragon so I don't get left behind all the skilled peeps.:bowdown:

You'll have fun on the Dragon, but its not a place to go fast. The local Law enforcement loves to write tickets for anything and everything, keep in mind the Dragon bites back, to many riders have limped or was carried away. With that said, Ride Safe, enjoy the scenery, and by all means, watch out for other bikes that are going to fast there. Last time I was there< i was almost takin out by a small group of Honda GW riders riding like they was sport bikes.

Not sure about handling the wind in the curves never had a problem with it but on a straight stretch of road stay low and keep a loose grip on the bars. If you hold them to tight you will be fighting the bike which is wanting to straighting itself out naturally.:thumbsup: Oh and the best money I ever spent was on twist of the wrist II. Every time I read that book I learn something new it seems like or am reminded of something that I could do better. It will help your riding technique greatly.

Last edited:
Not sure about handling the wind in the curves never had a problem with it but on a straight stretch of road stay low and keep a loose grip on the bars. If you hold them to tight you will be fighting the bike which is wanting to straighting itself out naturally.:thumbsup: Oh and the best money I ever spent was on twist of the wrist II. Every time I read that book I learn something new it seems like or am reminded of something that I could do better. It will help your riding technique greatly.

Thanks, I will check that book out.

Back