San Diego:  Santa Ana Winds

Scarabsport

Registered
I was going to ride up to Julian today but they are calling for 50 to 60 mph wind gusts up in the mountains. My instincts tell me to stay on the coast but I wonder if the weather people are alarmist. Would hate to get blown off the side of the mountain or something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Gotta laugh, came out here to ride the "06 LE for a few days only to turn on the tv and they talk about high winds, blowing ash, coastal flooding, frost at higher elevations, and extreme fire danger.)

Welcome to the left side of the USA. Yeah, have time off and high winds here also. Guess I'll find a house project today. (sigh)

r8

Having lived in San Diego previously for almost 10 years, the santa anna's and mountain riding is a mixture you may want to steer clear from. Getting blown into a guard rail or off the mountain is a real threat....take it serious. I had just finished up my TAD stint at the san dieog naval base in mid october this year and was driving my mustang back across country to Virginia several days before the wild fires and the winds were pushing my mustang around with ease, needless to say, speed going through the mountains of CA were significantly reduced. Pls, be careful and like ol boy said, find a house project.
smile.gif

Yep, stay away from them... The biggest of all problems with the Santa Ana's are the gusts. It can be blowing 45-55 and suddenly you get an 85 mph+ gust that knocks the cr*p outta ya...

Much thanks for the advice. It seems to be 3 to 1 against so I suppose I'll just have to settle for staying on the coast. Maybe do the PCH, not the worst thing to have to do as it is a gorgeous day.

I've gotta admit these SoCal interstates scare a country boy like me. Six lanes, I do 90 in the left lane and people still come up behind me like the autobahn, and then the pavement with all the grooving looks to be designed to shred leather, kevlar, skin and steel. I guess you get used to it.

Thanks again.

Back