SoCal Weather Alert (Week of 18-25JAN10)

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
:hide: Take Cover!

...this is a cut-and-paste job from Weather.com; it's not going to be pretty here for the next week or so

... BIG CHANGES IN THE WEATHER NEXT WEEK...

A SERIES OF STORMS WILL BRING PERIODS OF LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG WINDS NEXT WEEK WITH SNOW AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

THERE IS STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY ABOUT THE EXACT TIMING AND RAINFALL AMOUNTS... BUT THESE STORMS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE QUITE VIGOROUS... AND BRING LARGE RAINFALL TOTALS TO THE LOWER ELEVATIONS AND HEAVY SNOW TO THE MOUNTAINS.

THIS ALL WEEK LONG EVENT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO GENERATE RAINFALL OF 5 TO 8 INCHES NEAR THE COAST... TO 20 OR MORE INCHES ON THE COASTAL MOUNTAIN SLOPES. TYPICALLY WETTER LOCATIONS ON THE COASTAL MOUNTAINS SLOPES COULD RECEIVE 30 OR MORE INCHES OF RAINFALL. EVEN THE DESERT LOCATIONS ARE LIKELY TO RECEIVE BETWEEN 2 AND 4 INCHES OF RAIN.

SNOW LEVELS WILL MOSTLY FLUCTUATE BETWEEN 5500 AND 6500 FEET WHICH WOULD CONFINE HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS IN THE SAN BERNARDINO AND SAN JACINTO MOUNTAINS. AROUND 4 FEET OF SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE AT THE HEAVIEST LOCATIONS.

WITH THE RAINFALL AMOUNTS EXPECTED... THERE IS HIGH LIKELIHOOD OF FLASH FLOODING... ALONG WITH MUD AND DEBRIS FLOWS... ESPECIALLY IN AND BELOW RECENTLY BURNED AREAS. THERE COULD ALSO BE ROCK SLIDES ALONG MOUNTAIN HIGHWAYS... MAKING TRAVEL IMPASSABLE AT TIMES.

THE HEAVY SNOW FALL AMOUNTS EXCEPTED... THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF AVALANCHES FOR AREAS LOCATED BELOW THE STEEPER SLOPES OF THE HIGHER SAN BERNARDINO AND SAN JACINTO MOUNTAINS.

THE STRENGTH OF THE JET STREAM DRIVING THESE STORMS IS OVER 200 MPH AND THE STORMS THEMSELVES WILL BE MOVING RAPIDLY ONSHORE IN QUICK SUCCESSION.

AS A RESULT THERE ARE LIKELY TO BE STRONG WINDS THROUGH MUCH OF NEXT WEEK. OVER THE COASTAL WATERS GALE FORCE OR HIGHER WINDS ARE EXPECTED. OVER LAND... DAMAGING WINDS ARE LIKELY TO PRECEDE THE ARRIVAL OF EACH STORM. WIND GUSTS BETWEEN 50 AND 60 MPH ARE POSSIBLE FOR THE COASTS AND VALLEYS... WHILE THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS MAY HAVE GUSTS 70 MPH OR HIGHER.

PEOPLE SHOULD STAY UPDATED WITH THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Looks like it's going to be a tough week in SoCal, ya'llz.

Takin' Peg out today for a 'stretch'; after that? Next time riding might be a few days out...

Last edited:
Got to watch out for avalanche debris if riding in those higher elevations at this time of the year. Especially after heavy rains.

I know you poor bastids have had it rough out there lately & haven't been able to ride much lately ....so.....:poke: :laugh:

Y'all be careful! :beerchug:

First you have great weather ALL the time, I guess that wasnt enough for ya, was it? NO, you have to steal our NY weather too. You SoCal guys just want everything!!!:laugh:

we're so lucky (in california) that i guess we were due for some inclement weather. i only ride when the weather's good (95% of the time in california) but if you have to ride, be careful in the rain.

:thumbsup:Nice ride today bro!! Spanked those twisties and had some more of that good ole Julian Pie!!!

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Scar, why you torturing those midwesties and east coasters with our one week of bad weather a year:laugh:2hip

The Rain has started in Ventura 12:30 pm here it comes

2p: The clouds have covered the sky...and it has gotten cold...probably all the way down to 65F.

It's going to be a big one, folks...

One thing's certain...we don't get much weather here, but when we do, we make a BIG DEAL about it. :laugh:

6:30 pm it hasnt stopped raining yet and seams to be getting worse...Fill them lakes up and lets get ready to Skii :thumbsup: snow at 5K

One thing for sure is that Hwy 2 Angeles crest is going to be Ffffffff up for a while... bummer

Last edited:
The rain is here...it's going to be an interesting night...

:whistle:

Well, we survived the record rain- and snow-fall with no looting and other rampant crime.

I'm glad to say...:whistle:

Just a little clean-up in the country, and the roads'll be ready for spankin' again!

Woo-hoo!

Rode every day last week.
May have been slower than normal but still did my commute two hours less than if I was in the car.:thumbsup:

Back