Riding technique

Read read read... twist of the wrist...

Another good practice is to use only one input to steer. I was taught to use the inside arm/hand to actually make the turn via counter steering while the other (outside) arm stays relaxed and does not provide any input into the steering head. This will allow for naturally corrections and feedback without forcing it.

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth???

I need to go do some reading!
laugh.gif
Seriously, I have been noticing the same thing since I just started riding regularly again recently. Pushing is easier than pulling and it was particularly noticeable because I was feeling awfully tight in my right arm.

quote: "contrary to what some of you saw at the spring Bash". end quote.

shawn is that you laughing at yourself?  
beerchug.gif

what's strange to me is when i learned of this technique in the MSF course they taught it as pushing "down" on the bars, not "forward" as i believe [if i'm correct] it should be. "twist of the wrist vol II" was very helpful in explaining counter steering and the other things involved with turning a sport bike. i personally have to learn to turn in "quicker", not go faster through a turn but get into a turn "quicker". very rarely but sometimes in a blue moon i find myself pulling on the opposite side of the bars to counter steer. my worst habit is just plain "leaning" to turn instead of "counter steering".

i was thinking of puting on the +1" rear links to make the bike turn quicker and my bud who used to race at the track told me "just counter steer quicker".

Use your legs...you will learn that weighting the pegs will make a difference too, but I would concentrate on counter-steering first then add this to the skill set later...

So here is me in a turn:
Slide across the centerline - one cheek on the seat, one off. Peeking around the door in the direction of turn (trying to look over the mirror), load the inside peg (toes on both sides in and back) don't return to center until the bike is stood back up...
Bottom line to my post is two-fold:
1. I find myself favoring one arm over the other, push or pull (or push and pull) but try to use both arms equally
2. Now matter how long you have been riding, a little self examination/evaluation never hurts!
beerchug.gif

i
a) slide over. press outside knee against tank. press outside ankle against rearset.
b) look into turn.
c) counter steer.

i have to check how i'm getting back over but i think i do it in one fluid motion, as in counter steer and move back at pretty much the same time.

from what i saw, you are a good rider and weren't having any problems negotiating the road until the last 2 1/2 seconds...if that curve had been a sweeper instead of having the bend in the middle of it and/or if the lines in the middle of the road hadn't still been wet, i don't believe you would have gone down that evening...we have all been caught by a series of circumstances that threw us off our game and that is why we wear gear!!!  

+1 on "No matter how long you have been riding, a little self examination/evaluation never hurts!
beerchug.gif
"  i'm looking forward to riding with you again (although you may not let me ride behind you after i almost hit you coming out of the ditch
laugh.gif
)

This is a great topic, once again, I enjoy the thought provoking discussion. I was fortunate enough to learn this technique in california from my MSF course. I also favor left turns, but am right handed. Pushing on the bar feels best to me, and like Powers said, I leave the outside arm loose. The bike feels most stable, to me, with this method and seems to come through the turn very well. I have on occasion had to adjust my line mid corner and thankfully, more or less pressure on the bar adjusting my weight as needed has worked for me.

Colen,
You know I can't wait to ride with you guys again... you can be my wingman anytime (or I will be yours!)

i hope my post were'nt read wrong. i by no means am a road warrior, most likely the opposite. i am very cautious and slow compared to others when i ride. i like reading and learning to ride better as i go at my own snails pace.

i hope i can make the next bash.

beerchug.gif

i hope my post were'nt read wrong. i by no means am a road warrior, most likely the opposite. i am very cautious and slow compared to others when i ride. i like reading and learning to ride better as i go at my own snails pace.

i hope i can make the next bash.

beerchug.gif
I think we understood your post. The reason for this discussion is education. I have been riding for almost 20 years and always love to sit down with anyone and discuss technique and theory. Always strive to learn something new, ride at your own pace, and stay away from those that say they know everything. I hope to meet you at the bash!

Great thread guys.

I push with the inside rather than pull with the outside. I've tried it both ways. When I'm in a leaner and pull with my outside hand it feel like I'm trying to climb back on the bike throwing my center off.

BTW my lefts are far better than my rights... but then again... I'm legally blind in my right eye
rock.gif

I guess the reson that I am posting this is because I hadn't realized how dominantly I ride with my right arm...  I was consciously trying to push instead of pull to allow the opposite arm to go somewhat loose..
I have the perfect solution. Tie your right arm behind your back and use your teeth to operate the throttle.

Problem solved!

Read read read... twist of the wrist...

Another good practice is to use only one input to steer.  I was taught to use the inside arm/hand to actually make the turn via counter steering while the other (outside) arm stays relaxed and does not provide any input into the steering head.  This will allow for naturally corrections and feedback without forcing it.  

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth???
+1 After reading that, I tried it and it seemed to drop in the couner better than using both hands. I almost oversteered.

But then again I am terrible in corners, I tried to stay up with BusaWhipped around the gap and realized how much I suck.

When my Busa was stock, I had to use a lot of countersteering to go fast in corners.

After I rasied the rear an inch, I didn't have to exert as much countersteering to make the same corners at the same speed.

And after switching to 190/55 rear tires, I used very little countersteering.

After 12 trackdays, I find myself countersteering less and less.  I lean off the bike a lot.  And for anyone who doesn't lean off a lot, this probaly won't work for you.  I grip the tank with my outside leg and as I lean my body into the corner, the bike leans with me.  I find that this is the most precise method of hitting the line I want to take.

I also found that when I relied on countersteering, that I was straightening my upper body instead of dropping my upper body into the corner.  This caused me to have to countersteer even more to compensate for my upper body trying to lift the bike up.

I really think that the rider's upper body is the REAL key to fast cornering.  You just have to exagerate dropping your upper body because you're never dropping your upper body as much as you think you are.

I have noticed the same failure to push hard enough on the left bar in left sweepers. Right seems to come easy, but I find myself not pushing hard enough on the right bar in a right sweeper and running wide.

I think it is easier just to push than to pull or push and pull. Push left, lean left and push right, lean right seems natural where pulling seems unnatural.

I am ambidextrous so the steering is not a problem for me. I think I push pull allot it is natural to use both hands equally. I have a slight dominance with my right as far as power I can throw a ball further with it but everything else eating writing I do with my left.

I guess my problem is the shifting of weight and peg weight and hugging the tank. So pretty much everything but steering. I guess I have about 25% of what it takes to corner well.
laugh.gif
I am new and just got over the challenge of riding straight. Like I tell my buddies you might get through the corner faster but you're a$$ is mine on the straight away.
race.gif

I coach basketball so just a tip on gaining dominance with your left. Just start doing simple everyday things with it and one of the best is eating. Try going a week eating with your left hand, seems simple but keep some peas on your fork with your non-dominant hand without poking a hole in your cheek. Then move to other things using a hammer while working you will see you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Back