What riding skill do you want to improve upon?

Tached1300

Registered
What one riding skill seems to be that achilles heel for you? It's that area where you have to most room for growth or that area that you find mentally intimidating or just plan to improve upon this riding season.

In general for me, I've noticed that before my long layoff from riding I was much more aggressive with left handed corners than right handers. It could partially due to the roads I typically ride, because most rights are decreasing radius or can’t see through the turn. BUT since my rebirth of riding I feel much better with right handed turns and more awkward with the left handers go figure. This is something that I want to work on this riding season, in many ways I’m a better rider now due to my line selection than I was previously but I’m not comfortable running the pace I used to run on the street now if that makes any sense but I know it will back come in time. My analogy would be like the athlete whose coach changes his jump shot or batting technique there may be a step backwards initially based the athlete learns the new skill/technique.

My disclaimer: each ride out I'm looking to improve upon all aspects of riding corner entry speed, braking, line selection, being smooth/throttle control etc... But when I come home and reflect upon the days ride, I usually can recall some left hander that I "bitched up on" lol That being said the main goal is to return home without incident and that provides the opportunity to get back out there and improve the next ride.

Every time I get a bit cocky and think I can pretty much handle anything thrown at me (within reason of course!) I watch a group of cops snaking around at sub 3 mph on 950 lbs monsters. Now that is skill!
So, yes, I have actually been looking for slow speed courses to help me with slow speed maneuvers...mainly on my Ultra. Do fine on the Busa in this dept. It is absolutely incredible how light this school Bus feels after riding the HD! Lol
Troy

Every time I get a bit cocky and think I can pretty much handle anything thrown at me (within reason of course!) I watch a group of cops snaking around at sub 3 mph on 950 lbs monsters. Now that is skill!
So, yes, I have actually been looking for slow speed courses to help me with slow speed maneuvers...mainly on my Ultra. Do fine on the Busa in this dept. It is absolutely incredible how light this school Bus feels after riding the HD! Lol
Troy
I agree low speed stuff on those monsters take skill always impressive for sure

Troy

I’m not so sure it’s skill that makes this seem so easy. They’re just 4” above the ground to begin with and as long as the throttle is steady, turning these behemoths at slow speeds isn’t that hard.

Check out Jerry Palladian on the tube. Even after years his stuff will remind you of stuff you might have forgot. But #1 as we all know Keith code. My struggle I always start with what he said. You have a dollar. How much are you going to spend on what you struggle with. Concur that start spending less money on it and move some money on to the next. You put $.75 on right corners and good at it now. Spend only $.25 on right corners and put the rest ob left corners.

I don't ride hard enough to really need to improve on anything, I'm past all that sort of stuff...I just enjoy a good relaxing ride these days.

I’m not so sure it’s skill that makes this seem so easy. They’re just 4” above the ground to begin with and as long as the throttle is steady, turning these behemoths at slow speeds isn’t that hard.

Gonna have to respectfuly disagree here. It is absolutely one of the hardest things to do. Not on all bikes, but specifically an Ultra Glide. Very top heavy. I have zero issues with most other bikes doing this. Even a "simple" U turn gets dicey!
Troy

All modern sport bikes are reasonably fast. You twist the right hand and they haul you away with speed...where the real speed comes from is late braking and corner entry. On the track where you get passed the most is going into a corner by someone who is a demon on the brakes and carries much more corner speed... My wish would be to become a better braking rider with more corner entry speed. The bike can do it, my oh crap factor won't let me...

ALL of them.

Having been out of the game for more than ten years.
Then coming back in with a Hayabusa?
Yup, all of them.
Gotta be the sloooowest busa rider on the planet.

Back