New cornering technique

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
While talking to some trackday instructors at Fontana during the races, they explained a new leaning technique that has been developed. Put simply its called counter-leaning.

Imagine a track with a right then a left then a right;
When you enter the right hand turn and the next turn is the lefty. You lean your body to the left, while leaning the bike right. This way your body is in position for the next corner while the bike turns thru the right corner. Then when you enter the left, you lean your body to the right while leaning the bike to the left. And so on.

Racers are now integrating this new technique. Counter-leaning, the new way of cornering??

I've started trying it, and have to admit it works pretty good.

wait...I had to re-read that one....

visual....must...have...visual....

GAAAAAAHHH!!!! Cheney gettin' it on with former First lady Bush!!! Ohhhh....my eyes!!!!

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: "what the?"|1115132731 -->

Sounds workable... but then again why is this supposed to be for me
rock.gif
wink.gif

ok...I think I got it now....

is it only for S-turns? How about sweeper-into-corkscrew-into-hairpin? Wouldn't the bike be too high up to effectively take a turn? Just really curious....I'm all for getting better in the turns, so please don't get me wrong.

Please post more info....
smile.gif
I'm dyin to learn here...

<!--EDIT|PACIFICBUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115135842 -->

Pac, check your messenger, you have mail even though it says you don't. Just goto your inbox.
biggrin.gif

Hey Charles I thought that he said to not say anything about that....just to try it and let him know how well it worked for you. I'm going to Sears Point Friday 5/6, and was hoping to improve my lap times with this new technique.

That could be an "interesting" position to be in if you were started into a right turn, leaning outside of the bike and had the bike break the rear wheel loose.......?
rock.gif
??

While talking to some trackday instructors at Fontana during the races, they explained a new leaning technique that has been developed.  Put simply its called counter-leaning.

Imagine a track with a right then a left then a right;
When you enter the right hand turn and the next turn is the lefty.  You lean your body to the left, while leaning the bike right.  This way your body is in position for the next corner while the bike turns thru the right corner.  Then when you enter the left, you lean your body to the right while leaning the bike to the left.  And so on.  

Racers are now integrating this new technique.  Counter-leaning, the new way of cornering??

I've started trying it, and have to admit it works pretty good.
Report:

...tried it out today on couple of twisties...

...its ok for slow speed, low weight bikes!!! But with the busa, I didnt feel too confident... the old school still works for me!!

...and here I am just learning how to hang off the "normal" way, and you throw this in there...

Thanks
rock.gif

I'll just stick to what I know for now. Just seems like the physics of "counter-leaning" doesn't work to your advantage. Maybe I need to re-read this thing.

I've been riding like that for years, it helps me control the lean angle better. It really doesn't make much difference which way you lean, it's the bike's lean that dictates the direction/sharpness of a turn.

I need to get the hang of single corners before trying this...I'd probably fall off.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Cobra Steve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115166722 -->

Not sure about that one. May give it a try, but it does seem to present some potential hazards.

Report:

...tried it out today on couple of twisties...

...its ok for slow speed, low weight bikes!!! But with the busa, I didnt feel too confident... the old school still works for me!!
You just need to practice it more. You will get it eventually....there will come a point where you finally "feel" it, and it will just click.

There was a guy that came on the Aprilia test rides this weekend and he was doing it. I talked to him afterwards and he said he is best buddies with a top racer (sorry guys, can't mention his name) who was using this new technique. He introduced us to his buddy and we all talked for hours and then he took us out on the track to practice it. But it is still a hush-hush thing.....I am sure you will hear more about it at Seca this year.

When I see it being used by the pro's then I'll consider it. The whole physics thing just keeps bugging me.
rock.gif

I dunno how new it is. It seems natural to me when going into an S-Turn like at Deal's Gap. I see that it's an S and will perch on the right side (not _all_ the way over) and lean the bike to the left. Then when I get to the tight right I'm already into position without having to throw myself to the other side.

I've been doing this for a bit but only on the light first curve, tighter second curve type S. When it's two tight curves, I'm still doing the left side, shift to right side hanging off.

(Of course flip the directions for curves going the other way
smile.gif
)

Carl

seems like it would depend on how deep the right hander was, and what type of turn the left was.. in essence it sounds like they are giving up some corner speed for the right to get the set up done faster for the left.. if the left lead into a straight I could see the logic in it.. although I can't imagine it's all that much quicker than just getting your body ahead of the bike for the right/left transistion.

Back