Riding in the rain (tips/suggestions)

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
I had ridden in the rain before on my Katana back in like 98 or so... but I was totally UNskilled and didn't know jack shid.

Ok, so let's fast-forward to this past Fri. night... I rode in the rain on the Busa.... not by choice, but by... uh, ok... by choice. Because I could have pulled over after I saw the massive lightning bolts coming down due East as I made my way down I20 from Anniston, AL to Atlanta. Still, I chose to keep going hoping I'd miss the storm. I didn't miss it. I got nailed bigtime! And I'm talking about a huge downpour!

So... I have a few tips to give and some questions.

Tips: Stay calm. Stick to your same riding knowledge as if the roads were dry... but know they're wet!!!! Stay back away from cars because your stopping distance will decrease. Overall... be cautious. Be smooth.

Questions:
1. After riding in the rain (storm) should we do any kind of special cleaning/work on the bike? Just wondering.

My tip: Stay out of the rain. It's not fun. Well...ok, I can admit that it was sorta fun. But only fun because I had noplace to be and I was in no hurry or some job to go to. I was just riding home....

Lean as little as possible. And keep it under 130. I had my rear tire break loose at that speed on wet.

Stop under the nearest bridge and wait for it to stop
SHOCKED.gif

Ever see that movie, "boy in the bubble" There you go!! j/k i have been cought in the rain a few times when it was really coming down hard. i usually try to find a place to hide, if theres no place to hide i tuck behind the windshield and step it up about another 15-20mph to get the rain to go over me, but i agree with 06busa, keep it under 130!
SHOCKED.gif

definitly go easy on the turns and watch your throttle while turning.

if it gets to the point where you can't see well enough to keep your speed up, get off the road...as you slow down, you become very vulnerable to being run over from behind...drivers in cages think they can still see with their wipers going but there is a very good chance that they will never see your small motorcycle tail light until it is too late!

be careful if you are crossing from any kind of road material to another...some road surfaces can much slicker than others

also, be careful when crossing objects such as railroad tracks, especially if you are going around a curve or crossing the tracks at an angle...can cause your back tire to break loose and come around on you

stay off any kind of painted lines on the road, they WILL be extremely slick

MAN-HOLE COVERS, ARE YOUR WORST ENEMY !!!!!!!!!

This is where you wish you spent that extra money on brighter tail lights.

And I agree, you sure don't wont to be slowing down too much, most people act like they can't see you in front of them in perfect conditions.

All good tips! Also keep in mind the roads are the MOST slippery right after it starts raining. Once the roads are totally wet, you actually have a little more traction. I've done a couple of track days in the wet, and it is surprising just how much traction there is in the rain. The big enemy is the OIL the cages drop. So NEVER come up to a stop in the center of the lane.

beerchug.gif
all tips mentioned are the ones I follow. I've read of a rider being struck by lightning while on the bike, so pull over if you see it. It might be closer than you think.

On twisty roads or riding in a town (stop and go) I use one higher gear than usual with the Busa. For me it prevents to much power for the road and allows for a smoother accelleration with no slipping  
beerchug.gif

Riding in the rain isn't bad at all if you're smart and have a full face on
biggrin.gif

Just give yourself room...cagers won't see you any better while it's raining...brake easily because the rear wheel likes to slide when it's wet...just be alert and ride it through...

All good points and excellent advice. I do my best to avoid it or pull off to a safe spot for a while. My only experience so far was not great but I learned a lot - after sliding sideways between 2 rows of cars trying to slow down for a stoplight...

What is everyone's opinion on riding with the flashers on during a downpour?...

After a rain, i always go out and re-lube my chain to riensure that the lube hasnt washed away and u can see a chain and brake rotors always go rusty color so i ensure they are free of any debris or junk. A good cleaning or washing is a good idea to remove any junk or build up from the rain. U will find tons of crap under the bellypan and rear wing below. Check the oil cooler and rad to see if the fins have been bent or any debris blocking the vents.

(LCB @ May 15 2007,09:55) What is everyone's opinion on riding with the flashers on during a downpour?...
Honestly, that never occured to me...probably not a bad idea at all...it'll get the attention of those around you
cool.gif

+1 on the bath for the Bike after rain-all the s**t on the roads gets stuck to your baby-cant have that. I try to remember to lube the chain too....but Im a lazy turd
all_coholic.gif

as for riding in rain: I say stick one foot out in the tighter turns n ride it like a dirt-bike...even in a 80mph right-hand sweeper, it helps if you dont have lil chicken-legs tho
all_coholic.gif

seriously just back down the speed a bit, stay in a higher gear so you put down less power at low revs and look for "high ground" on the pavement, where water is running off-stay OUT of the rutts n grooves where water gathers n sits, waiting to kick your tire out n make ya hydroplane at 60+mph so you end up s**tn yourself tryin to save the bike
crazy.gif

n you dont NEED a full-face helmet....a soggy basaball hat with a brim will do in a pinch if you slow waaaaaaaaaay down
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

I personally believe after 20 years riding in every condition and even being caught in some ice, snow conditions (flakes) , it aLL COMES DOWN TO THROTTLE!!!! keep it steady, consistant, not on and off, u dont even need the brakes to use them unless emerg situation. A steady maintained throttle doesnt shift the weight around and balance of the bike. U have to give your self plenty of room on the road, breath! and dont tense up, try and relax, easier said then done, but i find myself in rain moving along like 130 kms on the highway passing the panicky cars and trucks, I get all those traffic away from me and just stay steady, the great thing about the Busa i find, it's a very steady, confident machine in all weather conditions, but again u have to help her out to protect u and it's all in the throttle control.
bowdown.gif

Back