Riding cramps neck

jnor

Not a new recruit
Donating Member
Registered
I have put Genmar risers on, a Tobin seat, lowered the rear 1", and on long rides the back of my neck and shoulders hurt, my neck pretty bad. It's from looking up all of the time. On short trips it's fine, but i have just ridden a 500+ mile day and it about killed me I found myself looking  down a lot. I have a HJC helmet, I don't know if a lighter helmet would help or not. If I can't fix the problem i'am going to sell the Busa and buy something else, I love the bike except for that. I also have a Zero Gravity double bubble windshield on it.

<!--EDIT|jnor
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115982820 -->

I have put Genmar risers on, a Tobin seat, lowered the rear 1", and on long rides the back of my neck and shoulders hurt, my neck pretty bad. It's from looking up all of the time. On short trips it's fine, but i have just ridden a 500+ mile day and it about killed me I found myself looking  down a lot. I have a HJC helmet, I don't know if a lighter helmet would help or not. If I can't fix the problem i'am going to sell the Busa and buy something else, I love the bike except for that.
You never said how tall you are...if you get sore from the busa you are going to DIE on any other sportbike (unless you go with a goldwing or cruiser)

A 500+ mile day is a long day of riding anyways(going the speed limit anyways >
smile.gif
, you'll prolly be sore a little no matter what you're riding.

Might want to see a doctor. Mine doesn't bother me like that, and I have all stock ergos. Even have a CL-14 that I still wear occasionally. Been on a few long rides also. Maybe a lighter helmet would help a bit. Also, what wind screen are you using? I would try something cheap and easy before selling the bike. Change the windflow. More to help you hold your head up or less to keep you from fighting the drag with your neck muscles

I was having the same problem with my neck even on short trips. I realized for some reason I was riding with my back slouched. I have made an effort to ride against the tank with my back straight. No problems since I switched riding positions.

Helmets do make a difference. My old one was too big and did not fit the shape of my head, so it left a red mark on my ofrehead all the time and gave me headaches if I went over 50mph!

Try on several helmets at a store that keeps a good selection. See if you can find something better fitting first. But yeah, ask you Dr..

Getting rid of this particular bike probably won't help. It may be that you will have pain no matter what you ride.

Oh, also i tend to ride laying on the tank on my bike. Keeps my head lower so the wind is not hitting it so much and forcing it back. i was rear-ended in a car two years ago, so my neck/back hurt constantly and will hurt more if I am up in the wind too much, especially on the freeway at higher speeds.

Good luck...hope its an easy fix!

<!--EDIT|Nijinsky3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115973595 -->

I have put Genmar risers on, a Tobin seat, lowered the rear 1", and on long rides the back of my neck and shoulders hurt, my neck pretty bad. It's from looking up all of the time. On short trips it's fine, but i have just ridden a 500+ mile day and it about killed me I found myself looking down a lot. I have a HJC helmet, I don't know if a lighter helmet would help or not. If I can't fix the problem i'am going to sell the Busa and buy something else, I love the bike except for that.
You might consider a double-bubble windshield to reduce having to push against the wind.

I don't have one, but I've done 750-1000+ mile days with no sign of neck discomfort. I did have a little trap knotting but that was due to the frigging wind in Kansas/Oklahoma
smile.gif

6'2" 197 lbs.

Carl

It's set-up like that for a reason. It's a sportbike, so it's designed to have you leaning forward with your legs bent under you. This is so you are steering with your forearms horizontal as possible and using your pegs as steering pivot points. It's an aggressive position for optimal handling of the bike. If you're looking to do 500 + mile trips alot, I would definately go with something else.

-arch yer back
-keep yer chin the standard distance from yer chest (by looking out the top of yer eyes)
-sore neck after 500,thats probably par for the course,depending on age,weight,the shape yer in,etc
-take more breaks
-stretch before ,during,an' after yer ride
-dont ride tense,angry,upset, or excessively aware

-start some neck exercises,shrugs,neck resistance....

hav a less painful 1...RSD

It's set-up like that for a reason. It's a sportbike, so it's designed to have you leaning forward with your legs bent under you. This is so you are steering with your forearms horizontal as possible and using your pegs as steering pivot points. It's an aggressive position for optimal handling of the bike. If you're looking to do 500 + mile trips alot, I would definately go with something else.
whats with the red font... you bastid

I get neck discomfort when riding my ZRX alot of miles in one day but not the Busa..

I have simular mods you have, lowered, tobin seat with Hump pad(that helps lower back support).

I raised my bars so much I had to get longer clutch and brake lines, then trim the ZG touring windshield, so it would clear at full lock-turn.

The taller shield sure helps keep the wind off of ya..I am guessing you need the bars higher up and closer to ya. Wider bars helps also..Buell pegs help also..

Sore neck sucks..Good luck..

I was having that problem with my original helmet, but then I switched to an Arai Corsair which weighs a LOT less and fits better. This took a lot of strain off. I still get sore after a long day of riding, but not near as quick as before.

Take more breaks, or at least longer ones when you do stop. Try supporting your upper body with your abdominal muscle and back instead of your arms. If your just cruising down the highway, AND you're comfortable riding one-handed, THEN support your body by resting your left arm on the tank with your left hand towards your roght armpit. You can also make a fist with your left hand and rest the chin of your helmet on it while you're basically laying on top of the tank.

Last resort...buy a new Goldwing GL1800...I did a demo ride on one and they're pretty sporty and handle well.

Good Luck
cool.gif

Here's something odd I experienced that I'll share just in the off chance it's happening to you as well...

I have accumulated 4 helmets... 2 shoei RF900's (ones a busa model that matches and came with my busa), 1 Arai Quantum Re-Entry and 1 Plain Vanilla HJC...for the price and comfort?...I love the HJC..but for decreased wind resistance on my head?...the Arai Quantum kicks @$$...much less neck strain as it cuts through the wind much better and is extremely light...now here's the odd part...I have a Kob'e Dragon Breeze Full Perfed Leather Jacket...and "THE NECK ROLL" on that jacket conflicts with the underside of my arai and my shoei's...which pushs my helmet forward and "ADDS NECK STRAIN"...and it's a pi$$er but...I can't wear "That (my favorite) Jacket" with "Those (my favorite) Helmets" on my Busa..But arai or shoei's are fine with my JR Pheonix Jacket (as it dosen't have the neck roll like the Kob'e Dragon does).

Also..pending windflow and speed?..all helmets have "A Sweet Spot"...that one partcular angle that you can hold your head at and the wind neither lets your head drop nor does it push it back..but ya hafta tilt your head for & aft to find it...then adjust your eyeballs accordingly..and/or scooch back or move forward on the seat to better accomodate head angle/riding ergo's....I find that at anything over 80 or so I can just rest my body against the wind like a skydiver..but that "Jacket NeckRoll/Helmet Conflict" put some biotch'in strain on my neck till I figured out wtf was going on.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back