Anyone else's neck hurt when riding??

Thanks for the reply's. It looks like things may get better from "building muscles" or changing positions and resting on the tank. Good suggestions cookie.

Dozerdriver, did you change how your bike is set up? Bars, pegs, seat? or change your positioning? Any other helpful hints?

I am thinking it was easier to support myself resting on the tank with the stock set up, especially sense I am not that tall.

Try to use your legs and abs more when sitting upright as well vs. resting on the hands.

Do neck ups~!~ :laugh:

I didn't read two pages worth and sure you got some good answers...but mine used to kill me when the HJC's were so heavy. I've been with Shoie for the last few years and not nearly as bad.

I have felt newer model HJC's and other brands and they seem to have improved a great deal these days~!~

I had to get used to the helmet weight. Plus the wind resistance was an issue on long rides. You will learn how to adjust for your comfort.

I feel like a bobblehead... I bought a GMAX helmet and it improved somewhat.. but yeah.. you just have to build those muscles up.. one day we'll all walk around looking like Lou Ferrigno :lol:

When I switched from my Harley to a Busa my neck bothered me a lot. I have over 12k miles of riding on the Busa and no neck pains anymore.

Nothing is changed from stock. I do think that from holding your head back the muscles are not used to that and after time they get stronger. Mine was at the base of my neck almost between my shoulder blades. I have a Icon helmet instead of the light weight brain bucket I use to wear. I still have issues with my wrists/palms on long rides. Thinking of trying the grip puppies and heli bars...on my wifes Busa first. :whistle:

Very interesting, I do have an HJC CL-15 helmet. I've never used anything else, with the exception of the cheapy non-DOT caps. Yeah, I know... It sounds like everyone had issues with their HJC.

I will be adding the Helibars hopefully this weekend, so we'll see how that works. I have the tobin, but am thinking of trying a Corbin.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was asked what I wear, just a sweatshirt and leather jacket. That shouldn't cause any problems. Also, regarding the windscreen I just installed a Zero Gravity double bubble.

Well let's see, first of all your neck is in a prone position turned upward while your body is facing the tank. This is a load on your cervicals, and upper thoracic. Secondly, if you've been upright a long time you will need time to develop those muscles necessary for better support while that 11lb thing on your neck is bucking 45-55-65-75-85-and 100+ wind forces. Not to mention, the upper back and shoulder muscles. Once these start to build up, the strain will become less and less on the neck joints and you'll probably have less discomfort as time goes on. I might also recommend, you get some handlebar risers. 3/4"-1" do amazing things to your arm, body, and neck positioning. After about a year, my body stopped complaining....so be patient. I did knock up some serious miles my first year as John (GoFaster) kept saying things like "You wanna go ride Death Valley again, I found a new route ????"...... :oldcool: Love those all-day desert tours..... :super: BTW I ride Shoei and nothing but.....

Back