My palms hurt.

el stumpo

Registered
After riding the Busa awhile, my palms hurt. I think what is happening is that with the leaning forward position, I am placing pressure on my hands on the handlebars. Has anyone experienced this?

Would getting risers help relieve the pressue? Or am I just in a bad riding position? I'm about 6' tall if that helps. Stock Busa (that I know of).

TIA

squeze more with your legs on the tank and keep your elbows bent. Padded gloves might help also.

Depending on how strong your lower back and abs are (i.e. what shape you're in) you are going to be applying less/more pressure on your palms/wrists. The weaker your abs/back the more weight you will find yourself applying on your hands.

Ride on the balls of your feet and use your legs more to hold yourself up instead of your hands... It takes a couple of weeks to get used to it, but works well...

Cloud

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 07 2007,09:40) Depending on how strong your lower back and abs are (i.e. what shape you're in) you are going to be applying less/more pressure on your palms/wrists. The weaker your abs/back the more weight you will find yourself applying on your hands.
I guess my abs and lower back aren't that great..
tounge.gif

I'll try Cloud9's suggestion of using the balls of my feet more as well as stlbusarider's suggestion of squeezing the tank and bending elbows.

This is starting to sounds weird... my palms hurt so I need to use my balls more and squeeze.
laugh.gif
Not intentional!

I had this alot when I first started riding the Busa...on a long trip one Saturday, I had to really work to just not grip as hard as I was (death grip) and I trained myself to just relax...I was actually so tense while riding, it affected my hands and made it a painful ride...

With your height, installing the risers may help alleviate some of that...
smile.gif

I'm 5'11" and have had the same problem, especially at slower speeds (<60'ish) when there's not enough wind resistance to help support the weight. I just put on the 38mm GenMar riser and it's made a HUGE difference. It looks stock and helps the hand/wrist thing a lot. When I bought the riser I had intended to only use it when going on a trip because I thought it would detract from the 'bad boy' look of the Busa, but it doesn't at all. After riding with it just one time after install I've decided to leave it on all the time. I highly recommend it.

Being short at 5'9'' with a short 30" inseam pants lenght, I have no problem keeping the weight off my wrists with elbows bent while riding. I try to keep my back as straight as possible while cruising or touring. A full tank bag is another way to rest your back and get the weight off your wrists on long trips; use a throttle rocker too! when the action gets heavy I go into a racing crouch and keep my elbows bent and weight off the wrists too!

Bar risers will help, as does a Tobin seat to help position you better.

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 07 2007,09:40) Depending on how strong your lower back and abs are (i.e. what shape you're in) you are going to be applying less/more pressure on your palms/wrists.  The weaker your abs/back the more weight you will find yourself applying on your hands.
+1

I have the same problem, I'm 6'7" and find after a hundred miles or so my wrist/back are starting to bother me. I think the taller you are, the farther you will be leaning to reach the bars so the more weight is transfered to the arms/wrist. I do squeeze with my knees and it helps my arms but my legs/knees get tired then. I think my only real option is to try some risers as soon as I can afford it. Then the question is what type/size?

gel grips and vary your hand position. sometimes I'll ride with my fingers stretched over the brake/clutch levers.

(rockadaous @ Aug. 07 2007,13:55)  sometimes I'll ride with my fingers stretched over the brake/clutch levers.
This cured it for me  
super.gif
, along with Helibars
beerchug.gif

(Cerberus @ Aug. 07 2007,12:02) I have the same problem, I'm 6'7" and find after a hundred miles or so my wrist/back are starting to bother me.  I think the taller you are, the farther you will be leaning to reach the bars so the more weight is transfered to the arms/wrist.  I do squeeze with my knees and it helps my arms but my legs/knees get tired then.   I think my only real option is to try some risers as soon as I can afford it.  Then the question is what type/size?
The longer your arms the more upright your torso will be.

(Buellbomb @ Aug. 07 2007,13:49) This is what the 1 1/4" Genmar looks like. I have had Helis and prefer this setup.

Zumo-xm.jpg
Do you have to adjust throttle, clutch or brake cables (lines) because of the riser? Yours looks pretty good!
wink.gif

Everything stated in the area of taking weight off your hands. You need to change positions, ride one handed, lay on tank, stretch fingers across brake lever, relax, etc.

I move around alot. Put 300 miles on the bike today. Enjoy.
super.gif

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 07 2007,14:20)
(Cerberus @ Aug. 07 2007,12:02) I have the same problem, I'm 6'7" and find after a hundred miles or so my wrist/back are starting to bother me.  I think the taller you are, the farther you will be leaning to reach the bars so the more weight is transfered to the arms/wrist.  I do squeeze with my knees and it helps my arms but my legs/knees get tired then.   I think my only real option is to try some risers as soon as I can afford it.  Then the question is what type/size?
The longer your arms the more upright your torso will be.
Your right to a certain extent.  But the taller you are, the longer torso you have along with the longer arms so you still lean down to reach the bars.  At least that is the way it seems for me.  I have friends that ride sport bikes, none are busa's, but they are all shorter and don't seem to lean quite to the extent I do.   Of course everyone is unique so its hard to me to say for others.

(whitele @ Aug. 07 2007,18:47) Do you have to adjust throttle, clutch or brake cables (lines) because of the riser? Yours looks pretty good!  
wink.gif
The only thing to adjust is to reroute the fast idle cable. You can see it in front of the tank.

Keep your weight off your hands. Use your upper body to hold you off the handlebars and stay relaxed throughout your upper body.

--Wag--

Back