Anyone else's neck hurt when riding??

buda315

Registered
I have ridden cruisers for 15 years, sport bikes for 3. My last bike was a more upright SV650 (unfaired). I find both it and my busa with bar risers and tobin, for some reason makes my neck hurt bad. When I first got my stock busa I road it 7 hours to get it home and do not recall having a problem. Is there something I am doing wrong, positioning myself or something? I am 5'7''. I don't know if the more upright, but not all the way upright position puts me at a weird angle or something? I am going to add helibars to make it even higher and see if it helps. If not, I will go back to stock. It just doesn't make sense why I did not have problems when I was more leaned over. I have never had wrist, back, or knee discomfort, so that is not the issue. I have heard it mentioned about using your abs and strengthening your back, but my neck is the issue

If this continues to be an issue, I am actually considering going back to a cruiser, even though I love.... the busa.

Anyone got a suggestion or cure??

Mine used to bother me, I think it is because your always looking up. It doesnt bother me anymore.

My wrist actually hurt more when I rode my Bandit. The nice thing about the Bus is there are so many different positions you can ride in and this lends more comfort on the long rides. I sometimes find myself gripping too tight or not moving the body enough and then I do get a little neck soreness. This being my first true sport bike, and I thought I would have more issues, but I actually feel better than before. I have Helibars and they are nice when in full tuck and you want to rest your elbows on your knees, but my knuckles hit the mirrors every time I make a sharp slow turn.
Like I said, try moving into different riding positions and see if this helps. Just my two cents.
Bubba

No, Buda,, the SV is a lot more upright, like you say. But for in town riding what you might try is cinching yourself all the way forward onto the tank with your crotch as close as possible. It will help alleviate some of the strain on your neck.

On longer trips use a throttle lock and trade left to right hands on and between the tank and your sternum to take a load off of your neck and lower back.

Also, train yourself to use your abs to manipulate the bike rather than your arms. If you put more effort into riding with your "core", you will help yourself in reducing the neck pain. Then it is just a matter of time before most of the pain is gone away! Hoping of course that you don't have previous injuries! Good luck!

When I switched from my Harley to a Busa my neck bothered me a lot. I have over 12k miles of riding on the Busa and no neck pains anymore.

Thanks for the reply's. It looks like things may get better from "building muscles" or changing positions and resting on the tank. Good suggestions cookie.

Dozerdriver, did you change how your bike is set up? Bars, pegs, seat? or change your positioning? Any other helpful hints?

I am thinking it was easier to support myself resting on the tank with the stock set up, especially sense I am not that tall.

I have a set of leathers that fit too tight on the back of my neck.
When I wear them I get a sore neck too.
What do you wear when you ride?

What kind of helmet do you wear ? I had an HJC, then switched to an Scorpion. Now if I wear the HJC my neck kills me after about 20 min.

I had to get used to the helmet weight. Plus the wind resistance was an issue on long rides. You will learn how to adjust for your comfort.

What kind of helmet do you wear ? I had an HJC, then switched to an Scorpion. Now if I wear the HJC my neck kills me after about 20 min.

+1 Helmet matters. If your helmet is not very aerodynamic it is going to cause more neck strain. If there is a lot of wind drag on the helmet your neck is always working to keep your head straight. I ride a lot with my HJC modular that has a lot more drag than my KBC Wolf, and I notice the difference. I am used to it, so it's not a huge bother now, but the difference is there. Also, try a different screen that takes the wind blast off your helmet if that is the case.

HELMET!!!!! I had a KBC VR2 that I thought wasnt that bad, but then switched to a shoei RF1000 and there was a world of difference. My neck doesnt hurt anymore, so if anything I would say to try a different helmet.

yes, but after a 200 mile rip. try changing lids(hjc is heavier than arai or shoei) or raise your bars a bit. both of those options helped out for me.

sounds like your going over the posted speed :) mine was hurting last week but only when i got over 75mph and i didn't have my visor (broke off) so that might have had something to do with it

Back