Functional Neck Brace

mrracer98

Registered
Hey all. Wondering if anyone knows of a "functional" neck brace for cyclists? I like being reasonably safe, and the neck is about the only thing on a bike that you cannot protect, and one of the easiest ways to get killed.

Let me know! Thanks!!!

There is an off-road neck brace (click to see it). The HANS device used in cars would be useless because it requires the harnesses to hold it down on the driver's shoulders.

I originally said: I haven't seen one yet for street riders.

After reading more of their literature they say it works for street bikes too. Interesting. I'd have to try one out to give a verdict.

Last edited:
The Leatt neck brace is a great way to break a collar bone in a very minor tip over. I know a few people (MX riders) who suffered the Leatt injury from a 5 MPH fall off their bikes. No other injuries.

A-Star makes a better one. It costs about $640, and still isn't rated for street.

cyclegear has one advertised this month in the catalog, maybe you should look into the 'air bag' jacket better? have no idea if either work..

sure seems to me that neck injury is low on the list.. (unless you are billybusa then a helmet breaks your neck).. I would invest in a back protector myself..

sure seems to me that neck injury is low on the list.. (unless you are billybusa then a helmet breaks your neck).. I would invest in a back protector myself..

I always wear my helmet, but actually wearing a helmet, is somewhat more dangerous to the neck. Here is why. Usually this is more of a consideration for car drivers, hence the Hans device, but if you hit something, and get a sudden jolt throughout the body, the extra weight on your head from the helmet, gives more momentum to break your neck. Granted you almost always "fly" off you cycle with crashes, there are a lot of weird nanosecond impacts that one does not probably realize.

I would venture to say from what I have seen (Trauma nurse & Paramedic) neck and lower spine injuries are probably third most critical injuries from trauma but when they are injured they are often the most worrisome (though neck is more critical than a back injury). Behind head injuries and hollow organ injuries of course.

I am all about leather and stuff, too. But to me that stuff is just nice to have, as rarely road rash is life threatening. Sure it hurts like )^$#%&, but usually not a big deal. (Yes I have had bad road rash). I used to be an ICU nurse in a large national Burn ICU. We did tons of grafts on cyclists too that would come in with road rash. Painful? yes, Incontinent? yes, time lost at work? yes... but again rarely deadly. Would have to have like 50+ percent rash, down to the muscle to be really getting iffy. Does it happen? yes, people die from infections. Just trying to put it in prospective.

Back on subject, I used a "Neck Pro-Tech" once I think it was called, worked fairly well, but ended up selling it (cant remember why) I think it was geared towards jet ski racers... anyone heard of it?

Last edited:
neck injuries on bikes is a lot more rare than closed skull injuries.. in fact the most common cause of death is a closed head injury if I read the reports correctly..

Also a bike vs a car crash pose far different physics to the driver/rider.. A car driver is held captive in a fixed device, the head is free to swing.. the HANS device is designed to stop this problem.. car crashes, chassis stops, seat stops driver hits restraints and stops, head and helmet unrestrained keeps going.. this is NOT the case in a bike crash

A bike rider is going along for the ride with the helmet, he is not held in a seat doing 50 or 60mph and coming to the abrupt stop against the belts, he is flying with momentum..

A lot of years of racing and riding, a broken neck from a bike crash is not all that common as the "worst" or "fatal" injury.. I can not recall anyone I know that has crashed with a neck injury (long term) but plenty of bashed in lids..

leatt-brace.jpg

Leatt Brace - webBikeWorld
Ask and thou shalt receive.

neck injuries on bikes is a lot more rare than closed skull injuries.. in fact the most common cause of death is a closed head injury if I read the reports correctly..

Also a bike vs a car crash pose far different physics to the driver/rider.. A car driver is held captive in a fixed device, the head is free to swing.. the HANS device is designed to stop this problem.. car crashes, chassis stops, seat stops driver hits restraints and stops, head and helmet unrestrained keeps going.. this is NOT the case in a bike crash

A bike rider is going along for the ride with the helmet, he is not held in a seat doing 50 or 60mph and coming to the abrupt stop against the belts, he is flying with momentum..

A lot of years of racing and riding, a broken neck from a bike crash is not all that common as the "worst" or "fatal" injury.. I can not recall anyone I know that has crashed with a neck injury (long term) but plenty of bashed in lids..

I agree, as I posted, but just saying, neck brace would be a nice thing to have. Because weather you have heard it or not. I have SEEN plenty of fresh quad's come through the doors with neurogenic shock right after the accident. Not a good thing. Guess I have a different perspective cuz I take care of them and try to stabilize them, and its a real biatch:banghead:

Back