Handlebars hitting windshield

Hayabutcha

Registered
In my efforts to take the pressure off my bad shoulder, I put Helibars on. Still hurt so I put a 3/4 inch Genmar riser on at the suggestion of the folks at Genmar. They indicated it would work with the Helibars. Now the handlebars hit the windshield when they are locked hard left or right. I ordered a Zero Gravity sport touring windshield today hoping it will fix the problem. Anybody had this problem and any other suggestions for windshields?

it won't fix the problem unfortunetly... it will hit anyway. If you are still having issues with your hands and you have heli-bars, you may consider your riding position as part of the problem... A while back when I was first starting on the busa, I had the same issue and same comment with my risers. I was told to get up on the pegs using the ball of my feet and keep your back straight. Up on the balls of your feet, you will find that you can hold yourself in a position without the use of hands... then... balance your weight using your legs and hands. No more pain!

biggrin.gif

Cloud

You could try cutting your seat down to take the pressure off you wrist as this will lower riding position, but this might cause problems with leg discomfort if your a tall person.

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100235968 -->

My Handlebars hit when the wheel is turned fully right or left, I have helibars and ZG DB. The levers get lightly compressed, not enough to open clutch or engage brake.

I've got the 1-1/4" Genmar riser on mine and the brake reservoir hits the shield on left turns. I just let it hit. No biggie.

I also had problems initially with riding position. Now I use my legs to hold onto the tank and support myself with my back. Takes stress off of my arms and wrists and makes riding much more enjoyable

I have the Heli-Bar & 3/4" Genmar combo with a Zero Gravity Double Bouble. What I did to address the clearance problem was use a Dremel tool to remove material from the windscreen. I ended up with a concave shape where the master cylindars clear that looks like it was the shape the designers intended (I finished the edges with a Testors black paint stick). I also used a flat file to carefully file off the upper outer corner of the master cylindar on both the clutch and brake side. I finished this off with the same paint stick. These mods are unnoticeable and nicely solved the clearance problem.

I have the Heli-Bar & 3/4" Genmar combo with a Zero Gravity Double Bouble.  What I did to address the clearance problem was use a Dremel tool to remove material from the windscreen.  I ended up with a concave shape where the master cylindars clear that looks like it was the shape the designers intended (I finished the edges with a Testors black paint stick).  I also used a flat file to carefully file off the upper outer corner of the master cylindar on both the clutch and brake side.  I finished this off with the same paint stick.  These mods are unnoticeable and nicely solved the clearance problem.
Good stuff..Excellent thread, gonna have to store this one in the ol brain-a-roo..
bowdown.gif

Trying on a few Busas recently I noticed that my feet rest comfortably right where the muffler cans meet the headers. Seems to cramp my legs and knees if I place them on the pegs. At 6'1" with a 32" inseam I believe that I would need rear sets to go along with a slightly more upright seating position which would require a new shield for the higher and more rearward handlebars, Genmar and Heli-bars? As I prefer to ride long distances, am I just SOL and should go with an FJR or is there a real fix for us long distance minded riders? I really want a Busa as they are faster, better looking and cooler and cheaper than an FJR but I couldn't ride from CA to MT while being uncomfortable the whole way.

Thanks for the input. I got my seats done by Tobin, hoping that the drop down would help also. The seats are great but it didn't help my shoulder pain. I'll try to dremel to windscreen out if the touring screen doesn't take care of it. Maybe I need to check online for the manufacturer of some new shoulders!

Back