respect the LEO's?

06BUSA

BlackBird rider, lol
Donating Member
Registered
I been seeing seat belt crap & a cop pushing over a perps bike. So I been stewing.

Back to topic
Respect the law. Not like I use to. A seat belt ticket has cured me & made me rethink how nice I have been to LEO's.
Got it in a town I own a rental house. Drive through everday to work & never speed there. I might be a little more free with my driving now.
This seat belt ticket has gotten me pretty Fn mad.
rant.gif

Don't be.
It's a nationwide "zero tolerance" seat belt law enforcement campaign. It is well advertised. Personally I don't agree with it (still wear mine anyway), but have lost all discretion during this campaign.

So wear a damn Seat Belt??? Seems a simple cure...

WTF? You even said yourself you've seen the seat belt ads... What the hell else do you want? It's a law, Don't like it? Change it.

Its all about the Benjamins. If the states don't comply with the seat belt laws/enforcement, they lose Federal highway funds. That's why some of the states have seatbelt laws for the cages, but no helmet laws. As soon as the Feds decide to withhold $$$ for states without helmet laws, all 50 states will have them.

I use a seat belt all the time!
Heck I know how I drive
SHOCKED.gif

click it or ticket! This is the easiest ticket to avoid! Just wear your seatbelt. EASY peasy!

(BusaWhipped @ May 25 2007,20:56) Its all about the Benjamins.  If the states don't comply with the seat belt laws/enforcement, they lose Federal highway funds.  That's why some of the states have seatbelt laws for the cages, but no helmet laws.  As soon as the Feds decide to withhold $$$ for states without helmet laws, all 50 states will have them.
Actually it's all about the fatalities. The federal Government found in study after study how many people would still be alive had they simply worn their seat belt. Put bluntly, Physics is a biotch! They forced the states into enforcing the federal law by threatening to withhold federal dollars if the laws weren't enforced. Actually a smart move on their part.
Think you're stronger than a seat belt? Here's a quick test. Get in your car put on your seatbelt correctly and drive 10 miles per hour. Once up to speed slam on the brakes and come to a fast and abrupt stop. Notate any injuries sustained on a piece of paper. Now return home and go to the side of your house. back away from the wall far enough to insure you get up to 10 mph while running. Run straight into the wall with both of your arms straight out in front of you palms up and down with fingers pointed towards the sky. Run into the wall at full speed. Once stopped notate any injuries. Well, have the friends laughing at you write them down because you won't be able to hold the pen with the pain in your wrists or see the paper with the tear filled eyes from your bloody nose.
While they don't protect everybody all the time, the odds are in your favor to wear it.
Don't get mad at the cop. He was doing what he's paid to do... Uphold the law.
rant.gif

(MoosesBusa @ May 25 2007,21:11)
(BusaWhipped @ May 25 2007,20:56) Its all about the Benjamins.  If the states don't comply with the seat belt laws/enforcement, they lose Federal highway funds.  That's why some of the states have seatbelt laws for the cages, but no helmet laws.  As soon as the Feds decide to withhold $$$ for states without helmet laws, all 50 states will have them.
Actually it's all about the fatalities. The federal Government found in study after study how many people would still be alive had they simply worn their seat belt. Put bluntly, Physics is a biotch! They forced the states into enforcing the federal law by threatening to withhold federal dollars if the laws weren't enforced. Actually a smart move on their part.
Think you're stronger than a seat belt? Here's a quick test. Get in your car put on your seatbelt correctly and drive 10 miles per hour. Once up to speed slam on the brakes and come to a fast and abrupt stop. Notate any injuries sustained on a piece of paper. Now return home and go to the side of your house. back away from the wall far enough to insure you get up to 10 mph while running. Run straight into the wall with both of your arms straight out in front of you palms up and down with fingers pointed towards the sky. Run into the wall at full speed. Once stopped notate any injuries. Well, have the friends laughing at you write them down because you won't be able to hold the pen with the pain in your wrists or see the paper with the tear filled eyes from your bloody nose.
While they don't protect everybody all the time, the odds are in your favor to wear it.
rant.gif
This may all be true, but where are the studies that show how many lives were saved by not wearing a belt. How many people survived by being thrown clear of the vehicle. It's all in what you see, as I've been personal witness in my life to 2 seperate accidents in which the driver would have been "DEAD" if wearing a belt, instead they were left with minor injuries.

Seat belts may very well save lives...............But they take them too.

As a paramedic I have at times seen seat belts be the cause of worse injuries but have found them to be FAR more beneficial in an accident than not.

(PDBusa @ May 25 2007,11:39) Don't be.
It's a nationwide "zero tolerance" seat belt law enforcement campaign. It is well advertised. Personally I don't agree with it (still wear mine anyway), but have lost all discretion during this campaign.
yah really... how many damn commercials and stuff ya gotta see before it "clicks" (no pun intended) in yer brain that you stand of a good chance of making a charitable donation (non-tax deductable though) if you decide not to wear it.

ya don't hafta wear it... course ya don't hafta pay taxes either... sometimes it just easier to go along wif some of the pesky laws we gots.

I never understood non-seatbelt users... . Hell i'd like to have 5 points harnesses with the hans device and a roll cage in my family vehicle.

(PDBusa @ May 25 2007,19:39) Don't be.
Where? I got the tic last Friday. I work rotation and don't watch much TV. Don't read the paper. and dont listen to the radio on the bike.
And I am talking about a town of 4000 that went from 2 part time cops about 3 years ago to 4 full time the next year. To 12+ full the following year they hired that ticket happy prick. Town saw $$$ in ticket revenue.
Elwood, IL is a speed trap on rt53.

You pull people for just a seat belt? What about the people still using the left lane slowing faster traffic? Is that not also a few year old law which goes unenforced?
Or the pricks who dont signal?
What causes more accidents? Someone not wearing a seat belt or some jag not using his/her turn sig?
And the kids on a bus, when will they even have the option to wear a seat belt.

And no, I saw 1 thread about someone getting a ticket after I already had a tic. Didn't know there was some fricking 3 week push till tonight.

You say they're enforcing the law. That must be the only one. Speed limits are merely a suggestion as are stop signs red lights and turn signals. Just a money thing. Do you really think they are worried about our safety? If you do, just watch spike tv and all the high speed chases over tailight infractions.

(mzrsq @ May 25 2007,12:26)
rant.gif
This may all be true, but where are the studies that show how many lives were saved by not wearing a belt.   How many people survived by being thrown clear of the vehicle.  It's all in what you see, as I've been personal witness in my life to 2 seperate accidents in which the driver would have been "DEAD" if wearing a belt, instead they were left with minor injuries.

bzzt.. I hate that arguement.

what if I land in a puddle upside down and the seatbelt traps me! haha... gosh if ya don't wanna wear the thing just don't.... you don't hafta come up with 1 a million scenarios to justify it.

It's just a fine and no points afterall... well assuming you don't wreck.. it might cost you a little more in that situation.

it's like people complaining about their airbags not going off in a fender bender... i'm always thinking "Geez lady.. if you'd ever seen an airbag go off you'd just as soon never witness in yer face"

or the ones that complain because it did go off.. "I got chemical burns on my face from it!!! That thing just made it worse!"

me - "yep, those carpet burns are gonna hurt for alteast 2 days... that steering wheel sandwich wouldn't have hurt nearly as long"

Or my personal favorite... "I don't like those anti-lock brakes... they don't stop as quick and they make a funny noise!"

"yeah... countless thousands of test that all prove they stop faster while still leaving you in control of the vehicle are all wrong.... lets disconnect them!"

I honestly have people buying new cars wanting the ABS system/Stability control/SIR systems permanetly disabled.... Daytime running lights... no.. can't have that I won't look quite as cool with the headlights on all the time..

bleh.. darwin was right.

(pure_ego @ May 26 2007,00:54) I honestly have people buying new cars wanting the ABS system/Stability control/SIR systems permanetly disabled.... Daytime running lights... no.. can't have that I won't look quite as cool with the headlights on all the time..

bleh.. darwin was right.
Now while I can't possibly say that my experience is vast in this area, but in my limited experience, the one vehicle I owned with ABS did not have it setup correctly. It would allow the wheels to underspin, and leave me with no control over the vehicle anyway. One quick fuse pull and a bit of practice in an empty snow-filled parking lot cured that issue.

Again, my limited experience. I'm sure it's not indicative of all vehicles with ABS, and or even all of the same model as mine. (Chevy S-10) Could have just been a faulty ABS computer for all I know. What I do know is that the 3 similar vehicles my parents bought, (Another S-10, Blazer, Bravada), all do the same thing.

What I would LIKE, is the option to not have the parts in the vehicle TO BEGIN WITH. If I don't want to pay an extra grand for my vehicle because it has an airbag, then I should have that option. What I cannot tolerate is the government telling the auto industry that I HAVE TO HAVE THIS.

How about legislating some driver training so that, oh, I dunno, we reduce the number of accidents on the road? Wouldn't that be a little more sensible? Nope, lets just force more safety equipment into the cars.

And stability control costs me nothing. It's just a program in the computer. As long I have my off switch, so I can leave a smoky black patch, I'm good.
super.gif

(newmill @ May 25 2007,23:59) Just curious...what circumstances would cause injuries to be worse with a seatbelt?
I read about one last summer. a guy and his GF were in his truck. he lost control when a tire blew out and wound up goin off the road into a drainage ditch. She got out just fine, he drowned.

Additionally, A friend of mine got in a really bad car wreck back when we were in HS. He wasn't wearing his seat belt, and the car rolled end over end 7 times (I got to watch all of this in my rear view mirror) and he got away with a cut behind his ear. The roof had collapsed on the car, and had he been wearing a seat belt, the roof would have crushed his head.

Now, that being said, you can make the argument about whether or not it's better to wear your belt or not wear your belt, but personally I feel like it should be the choice of the individual. Yes, it's federally pushed with the highway funding, etc, but that came to be because of insurance company lobbying. You may not get any points on your license for a seat belt ticket, but watch what happens to your insurance rates...

(mzrsq @ May 25 2007,18:26)
(BusaWhipped @ May 25 2007,20:56) Its all about the Benjamins. If the states don't comply with the seat belt laws/enforcement, they lose Federal highway funds. That's why some of the states have seatbelt laws for the cages, but no helmet laws. As soon as the Feds decide to withhold $$$ for states without helmet laws, all 50 states will have them.
rant.gif
This may all be true, but where are the studies that show how many lives were saved by not wearing a belt. How many people survived by being thrown clear of the vehicle. It's all in what you see, as I've been personal witness in my life to 2 seperate accidents in which the driver would have been "DEAD" if wearing a belt, instead they were left with minor injuries.

Complete Crap and the worst kind of backwards logic.

2 Imaginary survivals due to NOT wearing a seat belt doesn't mean sh!t when compared to the millions who die because they are too simple minded to click a belt...

Then again, I'm all for survival of the smarter, more mentally capable, so I would prefer to NOT to have ANY Seatbelt laws to go along with NO helmet laws...

Thin the stupid, and the ignorant outta the herd...

Revlis:

How many accidents have you PERSONALLY witnessed where having a seat belt on would have saved a life? The only flawed logic here is yours. These werent accidents I heard about, or accidents I saw on the news, these were accidents i SAW.

Back