Researching Turkey, the country not the bird

My work had us in Izmit, not Istanbul. The Hotel Asia is where we stayed. It was four star considering they had just had a major earthquake the previous year.

Hotel Asia Kemalpasa Mh.Şahabettin Bilgisu Caddesi No: 135, Izmit, Turkey

0262 321 3125

I only stayed in a Hotel in Istanbul for one night (traveling home) and don't remember it very well.

Here is the Google maps view of the Hotel. You can see the walking bridge (from my pics) crossing the road.

Capture.JPG

Money was CRAZY when we were there. It was in Lira and everything had 6 zeros on the end of it.

From Wiki in 2001 — 1 U.S. dollar = 1,650,000 Turkish lira. So when I would get cash from an ATM it was like robbing a bank for the amount it would show withdrawn! In 2005 they dropped the ending zeros and still have the lira, but it is the new lira.

cool deal, if we go I'm hoping we can explore some but could also be back again if all goes well. I found the money thing you mentioned too. Its crazy to look at them and how they changed. The ones with the zeros are no longer valid. There are two versions since then but both are viable for currency exchange. I guess if I could find some old currency that was worth a million it would be a cool thing to add to the coin/money collection but only if its cheap enough (like 1-2 lira :laugh:)

Seems the Euro is used for hotel pricing too and for payments. I found one site that said paper money only for tipping folks, unless its lira because apparently changing coins is a pain. Hopefully it comes to be, I'm getting more excited as I find more out about things there :thumbsup:

Current job is sending me. We have a few opportunities there so two of us are heading over to explore things. If all goes well I might find myself there more often. :thumbsup:

Cool Beans! Enjoy your stay. I hope we hear from you while you are there! :thumbsup:

I have an FTA satellite dish and for some odd reason I got hooked on watching many of their TV channels and music channels.
It's a place that never entered my mind and now I'd like to visit one day. Their current TV sort of reminds me of our 80s decade. The cleanliness, architecture and scenery looks phenomenal. I also hear their crime rate is next to nothing compared to the US.

Sounds like
a great trip
enjoy ! ! !

:beerchug:

#AdventuresInTurkey ~ #ResearchingTurkey ~ #Turkey ~ #THEoRg *

Last edited:
Back