How many of you are going to Deep Fry the Turkey?

Haya01B

Registered
How many of you are going to Deep Fry the Turkey?

I ask this question because this is going to be our first time doing the Deep Fry Turkey. We have a set up that did not come with the Turkey Hook but the coat hanger looking hook and a basket. Have any of you used the basket as opposed to the hook or does it matter?

did it a few years ago at a friends, did turkey, duck, chicken (all separate) and each one was amazing. Not greasy or oily, very moist and very tasty how they made them. Now dont ask me how they did it, I know it was two fryers on the concrete driveway a ways away from any structure and I was only allowed to watch as I was tending to a 6pack of beers :whistle:

I had my first deep fried cajun turkey like 8 years ago... never turned back..

I got taught by an old timer..

Fresh turkeys only
never more than 13lbs
Make sure the sucker is DRY..
Use peanut oil
Marinate at least 12 hours ahead or brine the bird and inject marinade about 2 hours ahead (brine 24 hours in advance 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar and enough water to cover bird)

Easily the best turkey I have ever had.... I usually do 3 or 4 every Turkey day for neighbors and then my own..

Lots of good tutorials on the net too.... just do it away from the house in case things go bad... :)

My setup has a pad with a large loop up the middle.. not sure how a basket would work

Last edited:
I had my first deep fried cajun turkey like 8 years ago... never turned back..

I got taught by an old timer..

Fresh turkeys only
never more than 13lbs
Make sure the sucker is DRY..
Use peanut oil
Marinate at least 12 hours ahead or brine the bird and inject marinade about 2 hours ahead (brine 24 hours in advance 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar and enough water to cover bird)

Easily the best turkey I have ever had.... I usually do 3 or 4 every Turkey day for neighbors and then my own..

Lots of good tutorials on the net too.... just do it away from the house in case things go bad... :)

+5...

Peanut oil is the best, make sure its completely thawed and dry (this is how you start a fire)... and make sure you do it outside on a driveway!

other than that. pretty simple.

There was a gas station in my little college town that sold fried turkey legs. Awesome at 4am!

Frying turkeys at home has become very popular in recent years, and this means an increase in the number of related accidents. Here is a good, quick read for anyone planning to fry up your bird this Thanksgiving.

Turkey Fryer Safety - Read the Turkey Fryer instructions or else!

Cheers! :beerchug:

Here's a good one....

- How Not to Fry a Turkey[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had deep fried turkey. I've always wanted to try it, but noone I know does it. Hopefully someone will do it this year because it looks so good!

BTW A smart thing to do is turn off the flame/gas while adding the turkey to the oil. Then relighting after wards. If it's bubbling over,it's still plenty hot enough. Wont get flames popping up in your face causing you to let go of the turkey to soon. You will feel some heat. :thumbsup:

A nice welding glove is good to use also. Great protection from the heat and easy to get off in case it catches on fire.

Neighbor across from a good friend on mine Deep fries every year. They're like family. So I get my share also. Definitely a great tasting treat.

ONLY use Frozen turkeys, the melting ice inside keeps it moist.:rofl:
ONLY do it in the house, its cold outside, that will slow the cooking time.:rofl:
ONLY leave the fryer unattended at the when you wanna watch the Lions game.:rofl:

Substitute "ONLY" with "NEVER"

nobody is thankfull for a fire and injury.

Fry on brother:beerchug:

I fry them every year with cajun spices injected in to it, we always use a hook

My mom is a cajun and they deep fry EVERYTHING!:laugh:
Do you work in the oilfield? We did a lot of crawdad boils and deep fried stuff out there when I was a much younger man.
Bubba

We have fried a few---about the most important tip I can give you is be safe!!!
Use Peanut oil if possible---of course get your grease up to temp, we use the Hook attachment
**** When you go to lower the turkey into the fryer---GO VERY SLOW IN LOWERING IT---- I MEAN GO SLOOOOWWW--- The turkey will cause the oil to boil up pretty high quickly and if you lower it too fast your oil will spill out the top and possibly catch on fire***
Just go slow and you'll be fine. You'll probably have to bump the heat back up a little higher for a couple of minutes to get the temp back up to frying temp- the bird will cool the oil down a good bit once it goes in and starts cookin'-- hope y'all enjoy it!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!

Back