How many of you are going to Deep Fry the Turkey?

I had my first deep fried cajun turkey like 8 years ago... never turned back..

I got taught by an old timer..

Fresh turkeys only
never more than 13lbs
Make sure the sucker is DRY..
Use peanut oil
Marinate at least 12 hours ahead or brine the bird and inject marinade about 2 hours ahead (brine 24 hours in advance 1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar and enough water to cover bird)

Easily the best turkey I have ever had.... I usually do 3 or 4 every Turkey day for neighbors and then my own..

Lots of good tutorials on the net too.... just do it away from the house in case things go bad... :)

My setup has a pad with a large loop up the middle.. not sure how a basket would work

Nothing better! I would do two and freeze one for Christmas, put it in the oven and re-therm it and it was just as tasty and crisp as when it came out of the fryer. Nothing better and make sure to use lots of cajun seasoning in the body cavity. :thumbsup:

I am going to slice up of one these birds breast and batter and fry them up.:thumbsup:

Fresh from this morning....and dont worry, I left 1. I only put 3 shells in my rifle:laugh:

Attachments

• 2009 Turkeys.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 134
Don't put that thing in with any ice on it~!~ :whistle:

You remember the little model volcanos in school~?~ :laugh:

Mr. Bogus has the best info. Get fried! ...but safety first
Posted via Mobile Device

going to popeyes chicken and droping 46bucks on one ALREADY fried!!

1st time not in the South..
1st time not having an expert cook it for us
SO popeyes it is i'll post up on how it goes!!

Frying mine for the first time this year.
My brother has done a ton of them. Good trick to not overfill the oil in the fryer is to put the turkey in the pot then fill it with water till the turkeyt is covered. Then pull the turkey out and mark where the water level is. That is where you will fill the oil to. :rulez:
I am injecting mine with cajun spices and putting Paul Prudhome's poultry rub on the skin.

My wife BANS me from deep frying the bird???---first time I did it--it boiled over when I put the bird in the pot (luckly I was outdoors). Then--the bird looked great--but was totally raw in the middle when she cut it open!! I begged her to let me try it again--:please: but she say's she doesn't trust me! WHO ME?:banghead:

Frying mine for the first time this year.
My brother has done a ton of them. Good trick to not overfill the oil in the fryer is to put the turkey in the pot then fill it with water till the turkeyt is covered. Then pull the turkey out and mark where the water level is. That is where you will fill the oil to. :rulez:
I am injecting mine with cajun spices and putting Paul Prudhome's poultry rub on the skin.
Good advice...

I brine my bird in the cooking pot (only one I have large enough to cover the bird)and so know where the oil level is..

(Brine solution: 1 cup salt 1 cup sugar, enough water to cover bird and 24 hour soak)

Hey Rodney, I never had a "wild" turkey... how are they compared to farm raised?

Last edited:
Fried the first one 7 years ago...never looked back. The best thing besides the great flavor and moistness, is the fact that it is so quick. 3-3.5 minutes per pound and your done, verses 3-5 hours in the oven or on the grill.

I've been doing fried turkeys for about 10yrs now. I use Tony Chacheroe'e Creole Butter Cajun Injector. Mix with a lil Jack Daniels:laugh: and shoot the turkey up. The jackdaniels puts a good twist to it. Dont need to add alot.

The smaller the turkey the better it will come out. Chickens always come out better.

015.jpg

man i am out after seeing those youtube clips. i have been dying to try some deep fried bird but it looks like it is more for the skilled chef.

I've seen people put half frozen turkeys in the hot grease before...:poke:...know what happened~?~

Every body gets good exercise running~!!~

Good luck, they usually come out very tasty

man i am out after seeing those youtube clips. i have been dying to try some deep fried bird but it looks like it is more for the skilled chef.

couple tricks I have learned:

I was taught to use a fresh bird.. frozen is only a last resort and if you go that route... ABSOLUTELY thawed out ..
dry the bird (and I mean with a towel..)

I have a broom handle I drop my birds in with.. Goes through the handle of the hook and 2 people can lower the bird..

As you lower the bird, the oil will react.. go slowly and there is little trouble.. drop it in too fast and the "slam" of moisture from the bird is going to go bad..

from there? do not overheat the oil...

It all sounded kind of strange to me but after the first one? hooked forever on them... and yea, the Cajun is my fav.. :)

had my first fried turkey back in late 1980's. We used to drive to Baton Rouge and pick'em up from my uncle. A long 1hr drive with a fresh fried turkey in the car with ya.

couple tricks I have learned:

I was taught to use a fresh bird.. frozen is only a last resort and if you go that route... ABSOLUTELY thawed out ..
dry the bird (and I mean with a towel..)

I have a broom handle I drop my birds in with.. Goes through the handle of the hook and 2 people can lower the bird..

As you lower the bird, the oil will react.. go slowly and there is little trouble.. drop it in too fast and the "slam" of moisture from the bird is going to go bad..

from there? do not overheat the oil...

It all sounded kind of strange to me but after the first one? hooked forever on them... and yea, the Cajun is my fav.. :)

All good tips. It is really pretty easy. I got mine in the Bogus brine as we speak.:beerchug:

Back