cook it in the ground

warwgn

Hi,I'm Dustin.Do you like my dancing
Donating Member
Registered
well it's that time of year again and with the success of last year I will be cooking the turkey and a ham in the ground again this year.

I bought a 22 Lb Turkey and a 21 Lb ham for this year so I will need to make a new pit big enough so I can do both at once. If you have never done this or had food cooked this way you are missing out.

Last years Turkey was the best I have ever had, it was very moist and extremly easy to cut, practacly fell off the bone!! I have also been doing roasts and ribs throughout the summer, all of which melt in your mouth and make you eat way more than you should
biggrin.gif

Had a buddy just get back from Hawaii .....had pics of them cooking a pig underground . They wrapped him with leaves before burying it with coals and dirt . Pretty wild stuff , he said it tasted great !
wow.gif

not yet, but I will take a bunch this year of the whole process so there can be instructions for all.

As a quick breakdown in the meantime:

dig a hole in the ground big enough to accomodate a metal box or drum and line the bottom of the hole with some rocks. I used a 55 Gal barrel and cut it in half keeping the lid to cover it with. I put the barrel in the ground so the top was about 2 inches below the surface.

Backfill around the barrel with dirt and it's ready. Next put your turkey in a big aluminum baking pan (the disposable kind) season as desired and wrap the whole pan and turkey in tinfoil. Several layers tightly wrapped and sealed.

Build a fire in the barrel and let it burn down so as to make a layer of hot coals about 6 inches deep. Set the turkey in the center of the barrel, put the lid on ans bury the edges of the lid leaving only center 12" of the lid exposed. Build a fire on top of the lid and keep it burning for about 4 hours then allow the fire to burn down and make a layer of hot coals about 2-4 inches deep then cover the entire pit with a mound of dirt about 12" deep and let it sit for another 5 hours.

Dig the dirt away and remove the lid, take the turkey out and it is ready to eat. There will be about half of the pan full of juice and alot of steam when you cut the tinfoil open so be careful.

for ribs the same thing applies except the second fire only needs to burn long enough to make a thin layer of coals and only cooks for 4 hours total. (this was a full rack of beef ribs abd a full rack of pork ribs, cut apart and placed in the pan with a bottle of BBQ sauce then wrapped in tinfoil as above)

Roast is the same as ribs but 5 hours cooking time, and dont forget to add the potato's, carrots, celery, and onions.
biggrin.gif

I've heard of cooking in a trash can but not in the ground. Sounds like alot of work but from the way you rave about it, I bet its worth it!

That is the weirdest thing I've heard of in a long time LOL

But hey, if it's good...sounds like a lot of work though...I'm all about the microwave
laugh.gif

it's the epitamy of MAN cooking!! Sit around a fire, drink beer, burn wood and, drink beer, then eat meat when your done!! And no dishes or oven to clean!!

Cooked stews and chili that way, but never a Turkey. I'll stick to the Turkey fryer for the bird
wink.gif

(warwgn @ Nov. 13 2006,12:25) it's the epitamy of MAN cooking!! Sit around a fire, drink beer, burn wood and, drink beer, then eat meat when your done!! And no dishes or oven to clean!!
Hey, I know all about the "Me Thog, Me Cook On The Grill" but I can't see the hubby digging a pit in the ground to cook food LOL

yeah, but you only got to dig it once! After that your only moving loos dirt to cover the lid
beerchug.gif

after I get pics of the before, during, and after it will all be clear
all_coholic.gif

Back