Rate aftermarket tires vs stock ones.

erikm12

Registered
Getting ready to buy some new rubber. How confusing. Let me start by saying I liked the stock ones fine. BT015's.
If I were to rate them as a 5, where would some other tires fit in? I have 5500miles on them and mostly run straight line but hit the
mountains as often as I can which isn't a whole lot. That clears it up a lot huh :laugh:
I am pretty much looking at the ct2's but just read a post on the Angels. I want something just as good, doesn't have to be better, with about the same mileage. Remember I got 5500 plus out of stockers, if you got 3k on your stock ones and got 3k out of aftermarket ones then thats the same more or less to me per your riding style. Confused yet??
As an example, if I had pures and loved them, and got good mileage, stuck better than the 015's, then I might give them a 7. 1-10 scale, 10 being amazing. I am doing this to kill time untill I find a good sale and to figure out my final choice.

Thanks!

If your not dragging pegs and you usually have more then 1/2" chicken strips on your tires then the 2CTs may be a little more then you need, even though they are night and day difference from the stock brickstones. I ran 2 sets of the CT2 's on my 09 and never had one issue. Recently purchased the Road3's and they may come off before 500 miles and go back with the 2CT.
I average 3500 miles on the rear and 5500-6200 on the front.

Didn't do much riding with the stock tires. Bought it last spring had maybe 3 weeks on stock before needing replacements. Went to the dunlop sportmax q2s and they are amazing. Won't go back I have about 4,000 miles on them and 2 burnouts and still have some life left in them.

I got 14K miles out of my Michelin PR2's. I ride the mountains and river roads as much as I can, but 90% of my riding is straight line to work and back. I have 100% confidence in PR2's and will use them for as long as they are available.

Have a new set now in the back of the car with the old set waiting to be mounted tomorrow so I can get another 14K out of them.

i run 2ct's and absolutely love them ... but on here tire discussions are war and some ppl get violent lol

The BTO 15's that came on your bike are excellent tires. I went through a dozen or so sets when they first arrived on the scene and put hundreds of track laps on those puppies. They were flawless.

If you like the 15's you will love the BTO16's which is a triple compound rear and dual compound front which is the upgraded BTO15. Great tires for hard rompin, canyon carvin, track day fun! Now Bridgestone has the BT0 16 Pro. If you can get your hands on the Pro's you'll find it difficult to find a better confidence inspiring canyon carver.

While I'm not a Michelin fan I will give the Pilot Power 2cts a heads up for the average street rider. I think they do a decent job. However, I have little confidence in them for hard riding. I've picked up way too many wadded bikes on those things to inspire me to give a thumbs up. The thing that steers me away from the PP & PP2cts is when they give up grip they don't pi$$ around and will body slam your bum like Hulk Hogan. I've watched it happen not once, not twice but numerous times!

There are lots of good tires out there to choose from. Whatever you choose, ride those puppies until they start to slip and slide and have a good time! Choosing a tire that will slide without loosing total grip is the key! :thumbsup:

I have tries BStones, Pilot Powers and Avon Storms/Storm 2 Ultras. Very happy with them all.

I am torn as I try to decide what's next. As I don't romp on tires as I used to I am slow to go with low mileage ultra sticky tires. Considering the sport front/sport touring rear combo. :dunno:
Seriously considering a second set of wheels. 1 set with sport touring tires for the cruising days with the wife and a second set with pure sport tires for the hard riding days. Especially as I lean more and more toward doing a track day or 2.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Bret, it's always a good idea to find a tire you like and stick with it. At least throughout an entire season. By sticking to the same tire you can fine tune your suspension to match the tire. Every time you change tire brands it changes the way your suspension responds to the tire making suspension tuning difficult at best.

Once you find that sweet spot with your suspension you'll have a whole new outlook on riding! :thumbsup:

Bret, it's always a good idea to find a tire you like and stick with it. At least throughout an entire season. By sticking to the same tire you can fine tune your suspension to match the tire. Every time you change tire brands it changes the way your suspension responds to the tire making suspension tuning difficult at best.

Once you find that sweet spot with your suspension you'll have a whole new outlook on riding! :thumbsup:

Very true I am battling that now switching from 2CT's over to the Road 3's:banghead: I keep telling myself dont adjust the suspension to make up for the different feel in the handling from the tires.

Tufbusa said:

Well, with that in mind and having no issues with the Storm 2 Ultras, that is one less decision to make.
Thanks Tuf:thumbsup:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I have had lots of different rubbers from different manufacturers, and my opinion is to get tires that suit your riding style. After having ridden on so many tires, I can not say that a specific tire is "best" for a busa - all I can say is which tire I found to be best for a specific application.

Anyway there is a difference between the OEM BT-015 and the Retail BT-015, the retail version being the better tire. The upgrade seems to be the BT-016 Pro. I agree with Tufbusa on the road Michelins (Power / Road 2 & 3) - I tried them all and they are not great for a maniac in the twisties. I think their sidewalls are not firm enough, they seem to flex too much in hard cornering, and gives feedback as if they losing grip. The PR2 I found was great for drifting through corners - that is if you are insane enough to like leaving rubber and a smoke trail in turns. With the Michelins I had a hard time dialing the suspension, and getting the pressures correct. I run them with 1 click up from standard on front and rear, and at 40 psi R & 36 psi F for normal road use. Frankly I will not run Michelins on the busa again - I believe the power and weight of the busa is too much for them.

For my style of riding - I believe that Bridgestones (BT-016 Pro or the new S20) or Pirellis (Diablo Rosso Corsa) are the best for road sport riding. For track I would go with the Dunlop Q2. I couldn't advise anything for touring use, it is not my style of riding.

Back