Busa rated tires

Hate to say it:

But these guse/gals are right on the money with tires that are made for specific bikes.

Order or go online to Dennis Kirk or any of the tire manufactures and you will see tires listed for specific bikes.

This is not saying that tires of the same size and different manufacturer will not work and do a better job with your riding style. Most of the time the stock/factory tires do an extremely good job at doing everything. But (according to your riding style) they may not do what you want them to do as good as you want them to do it. IE: a really great stright line tire will not handle the twisties as good as you would like, and a really good twisty tire may not hold as tight as a straight line tire.

Tire performance mostly depends on riding style.

I just happened to see this, so I'm just poking my nose in on the discussion. Tires are specifically made for the Hayabusa, ZX-12, and the likes due to weight of machine, and top speed potential of said machine. That, dynamically, has an effect on how the tire will respond to being spun at high RPM's while carrying said bike's weight. There is also mass of the air inside the tire, being flung around as centrifugal resultant increases causing the tire to lose original shape or dependable profile. 99Y is a 200 mph rated tire, check your side wall. Many tires are 99Y, but they aren't specifically built for the Hayabusa or other hyper-rated bikes. I've been riding Metzelers 73Y M-3's for a couple years. Have they been pushed to their limits with the weight of a Hayabusa on them at top speed ?. Maybe, but I don't run them to the limits, I commute on them as my all-weather, daily driving pick. I'll never go back to the "j" BT056, as it simply is too slippery in the winter and doesn't warm up fast enough. My next pick will be a set of Michelin HPX's (99Y), as they are reportedly better all around tires than the Bridgestone and will remain stable at the very top of the needle.

So, yes, some tires are specifically designed as a trade-off for the best of both worlds, or as close as you can get, and still remain true to the top potential of our beloved machines.

If you're a canyon carver, then a 73Y rating will do the job better as the different compounds will allow you to get over on the angles, and still remain safe and in control. A 99Y, by nature is simply more stable at very high rates of speed.... :super:

Contact the manufacturer, or a dealer and have them look up Hayabusa rated tires for their brand of tire. One will stick out as the manufacturer's specific pick.

Last edited:
Thank you to everybody for clearing this up for me. I appreciate it!!:::beerchug:

going to have pretty limited view of what is happening or is available if the busa was your only bike to date, sort of limits your exposure... :whistle:

Pretty sure Rich was around when the wooden wheel was banned for racing I think... :rofl:

:snap:

:laugh:

im going up to the suzuki shop tomorrow to ask them i got some friends who work there im going to find out if this new knowledge is correct. although buying a tire specifically designed for a busa is stupid....those tires aint made any different than say a avon or a michelin or something. im going ot ask tomorrow when i go up there. i will apologize then. im a man of my word. i have no prob admitting defeat.

It's not "defeat" dude. BA BUSA was just edjucating you and stuff or something. Besides these guys here know more about your bike than the mechanics and stuff. We all learn new things that's whats great about this site. OH and there is a little more difference between a liter bike and a busa than a few mi. per hour.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Just to tack on here....and there IS a difference between a 'busa' rated tire and a regular tire of the same make and model. Just like was said they make the tire with slightly different sidewalls and compounds to control what happens at extreme speeds under the weight of the bike. From what I've read in the past, Metzeler M1s in particular have an extra belt in them. If you compare the P-spec and non-p-spec, they even have different profiles....so most definetly there is a difference.

That being said though, I'd be comfortable running just about any tire rated for supersport bikes....more importantly keeping the front and rear synchronized which puts me at about 2:1 (rear:front)

We are all eagerly awaiting your reply myfirstbikewasabusa. :poke:

Last edited:
keep in mind many "parts" guys are not all that wise when it comes to the bikes they are pulling parts for..

Best to talk to the reps/engineers and tire makers for this type of information.. I have found that the "Suzuki" parts guys here know very little about the bike itself sad to say..

+1 to that! ya know how many times that I knew or found out something "here" that the dealer knew nothing about. The recall .....09 colors........?????????? and probably this tire issue.

The BT56 "J" may be designed for a Gen 1 Hayabusa, but they still pretty much suck. Of the 3 sets of tires I've had on my 07 so far, they have been the worst handling/feeling of the lot. And they wore out in 2400 miles.:hmmm:

The BT56 "J" may be designed for a Gen 1 Hayabusa, but they still pretty much suck. Of the 3 sets of tires I've had on my 07 so far, they have been the worst handling/feeling of the lot. And they wore out in 2400 miles.:hmmm:
I actually liked the BT56 J's......but mine also wore out at 2400 miles. The mileage sucks, thats why I won't run any more sports tires. Avon storms for me from now on :thumbsup:

Yes there is busa-rated tires.Pirelli Diablo P 120/70ZR17 58W and P 190/50ZR17 73W is specially made for hayabusa(the P is a code Pirelli use for hayabusa tires)It is true,i have them on my busa last year before i bougt my 08.

im going up to the suzuki shop tomorrow to ask them i got some friends who work there im going to find out if this new knowledge is correct. although buying a tire specifically designed for a busa is stupid....those tires aint made any different than say a avon or a michelin or something. im going ot ask tomorrow when i go up there. i will apologize then. im a man of my word. i have no prob admitting defeat.

Well:whistle:

:thumbsup:The busas actual wear 197-50-17 from the produser...so that's why there is the "M"on the bt-015 190-50-17..Actually no produser can produse 197-50-17..They call it busa tyre and is nearest to 200-50-17..
But if u put on a 190-50-17,or a 190-55-17.u feel the bike much better..

Thats the reason why they have the mark on some bikes tires:beerchug:

Back