Random thoughts should be renamed Ghost Town

We won each and every fire fight against those who carried AKs, our assault rifles were far superior (variant of the M4 called the C7A2).
https://www.google.ca/search?ei=VeA....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i67j0i131.Lez-m8bZncI

AKs are everywhere as many countries copied them and they were (are) cheap to make and obtain.

The 7.62x39 rounds they use are a short range round only really decent at 100 meters or less. They carry a good punch though but their muzzle velocity is lower (2350 fps)

Yep, I'm not that up and up on the estimated ranges of different calibers and specific ammo, but I know the AK's don't have the range or accuracy of a .223 or many other calibers.
Just that their durability and short range knock down make them desirable(and it does seem that their popularity took off long before any decent competitor was readily available, making them a standard for many)
And personally I find them fun to shoot.
They do have more of a pop and the barrel end jumps up(making it hard to stay accurately on target), vs traditional reward recoil.

My gun knowledge is limited to handling, securing, cleaning, loading, and firing safely.
I own several and have shot many.
I have friends that are like you guys, walking encyclopedias, knowing histories, interchangeable parts, best ammo per application, etc.(just wanted to clarify that so no one thinks I'm talking over my head...and you may at times have to dumb it down for me, lol).

They take abuse because they have a bigger tolerance compared to modern weapons. They can still get jammed up easily enough from the sand, especially Afghanistan sand which is like talcum powder.

And there it is, I learned something I had always wanted to know!
That the clearance of an AK gives it it's durability. That makes perfect sense...and no one has ever pointed that out to me before.
Thank you sir!

Laws are a small band aid on a large wound, made to make people think something has been done. Courts are a bigger problem, and people that want to turn criminals loose. Yes I am in favor of the death penalty.
Courts are a terrible problem. There are a lot of people locked up for things they shouldn't be, and that leads to people that should be locked up not being. A life sentence for drug sales for example is beyond ridiculous. There's something wrong when someone convicted of sexually assaulting a child does less time than a person who sold and transported weed.

Courts are a terrible problem. There are a lot of people locked up for things they shouldn't be, and that leads to people that should be locked up not being. A life sentence for drug sales for example is beyond ridiculous. There's something wrong when someone convicted of sexually assaulting a child does less time than a person who sold and transported weed.

And that’s no lie. I worked in the court system all my life and you wouldn’t believe the shiite I’ve seen and heard.

And there it is, I learned something I had always wanted to know!
That the clearance of an AK gives it it's durability. That makes perfect sense...and no one has ever pointed that out to me before.
Thank you sir!
No worries big man, knowledge is only useful if it passed along.
I've spent half my life handling weapons, firing weapons or learning about weapons.

The AK is a post war weapon designed during WW2, the SKS is it's father and is very similar in many ways (uses the same round, action, etc) these weapons were designed to be robust and simple so soldiers could readily adapt to using them. SKS was used in the Korean conflict by the Chinese. The AK was brought on line just after that and many of our board members faced them in Viet Nam.

The Russian's went to the AK74 which is 5.56 Nato in the 90's to conform to the Western cartridge used by Nato. All nations are looking at a 6.5 mm round to give a little more punch yet keep it light weight.

I've seen testing where they are looking at using composite cartridges for weight, an average soldier would have a great increase in the amount of rounds they can carry if they go with this.

No worries big man, knowledge is only useful if it passed along.
I've spent half my life handling weapons, firing weapons or learning about weapons.

The AK is a post war weapon designed during WW2, the SKS is it's father and is very similar in many ways (uses the same round, action, etc) these weapons were designed to be robust and simple so soldiers could readily adapt to using them. SKS was used in the Korean conflict by the Chinese. The AK was brought on line just after that and many of our board members faced them in Viet Nam.

The Russian's went to the AK74 which is 5.56 Nato in the 90's to conform to the Western cartridge used by Nato. All nations are looking at a 6.5 mm round to give a little more punch yet keep it light weight.

I've seen testing where they are looking at using composite cartridges for weight, an average soldier would have a great increase in the amount of rounds they can carry if they go with this.

What AK-47’s are you talking about??? They have always been 7.62

The AR-15’s and M-16’s are 5.56

8B19E92E-364E-4DC9-8096-E4DD3E704517.jpeg

What AK-47’s are you talking about??? They have always been 7.62

The AR-15’s and M-16’s are 5.56

View attachment 1591176
AK 74 is 5.45mm, this is what the Russians (and many other countries who used to have AK 47s) have gone with for years, they are changing their weapon platform now though (AK 12).
I stand corrected on AK74 round size

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-74

Although it's a small point, your military uses the M-4 which is an updated M16A2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_carbine

Last edited:
Yep, driven by idiot politicians.
Most all these coward shootings happen inside by inexperienced shooters, and they use the media's scariest gun ever, the AR15 .223
None of them realizing that you can do so much more damage in close quarters with a semi-auto hunting shotgun.
God forbid, but that's coming after more restrictions are put on assault weapons.
And they'll continue stabbing and running over people.
Guns aren't the problem, people are the problem.
No way will we ever get rid of guns...only make them illegal for people who use them legally.

View attachment 1591170
My reply was answering ...why are AR15s so popular.
Its fear, and always has been. Will always be as long as people are scared of change.
The fear always wins.

Fear of/that/when, and what one has been told to think...
...the government has too much power
someone breaking into your house at night
enemy at the gates
cops kicking in your door
a census taker
driving through a "bad" side of town
the voices in his head
they will rape your women
they are coming for your guns
once they cross the border we cant help you
the "new" people moved into the neighborhood

Voice or no voice...the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

Hermann Göring ~ A soldier, just doing his job.

I wish everyone a safe and fun filled ride.

My reply was answering ...why are AR15s so popular.
Its fear, and always has been. Will always be as long as people are scared of change.
The fear always wins.

Fear of/that/when, and what one has been told to think...
...the government has too much power
someone breaking into your house at night
enemy at the gates
cops kicking in your door
a census taker
driving through a "bad" side of town
the voices in his head
they will rape your women
they are coming for your guns
once they cross the border we cant help you
the "new" people moved into the neighborhood

Voice or no voice...the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

Hermann Göring ~ A soldier, just doing his job.

I wish everyone a safe and fun filled ride.
I will add this quote, often mis-attributed to Josef Goebbels, there is actually no reliable source known, but no less valid because of that:
If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself.

Back