Rabaconda Tire Changer

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
Rabaconda Tire Changer

Ok, I bought this a few months back, and finally got to try it out.
I got a new Q3 rear for the gsxr1000.
First of all, the Rabaconda is Not marketed for streetbike tires, only dirtbikes, but, after reading several comments that it does street tires just the same, I decided to try it.
Does the Rabaconda change street tires just the same as dirt tires?
Yes and No.
It does fit 16" to 20" wheels, no problem there(width is adjustable).
The bead breaker works very well on the top bead.
The spoons(along with some Motion-Pro wheel protectors) also work well, the spoons are also very strong and do not bend, which is obviously very important.
I did have to buy a couple feet of 1" i.d clear tubing and cut it to fit, it is to cover the 3 wheels supports, as the chrome metal supports will not harm a laced spoke wheel, but on a cast, forged, or cf wheel, the tubing prevents scratches.
Adding a couple bucks in tubing is a non-issue.
Now, the one and only sportbike tire killer on the machine, is that a support bar for the bead breaker is too tall/high up on the machine's frame(arrow in picture).
That causes a 190mm tire to Not have enough room to travel down.
So, after breaking the top bead, popping the bead over the wheel lip, flipping the wheel and tire over on the machine, so there is one bead left to be pushed over the lower lip.
The bead breaker is to be used again to easily push that bead off, and the tire fall off the wheel, and down a couple inches.
Then you could lift off the wheel, then the old tire.
The problem is that the support bar I mentioned above, prevents the 190mm wide tire from having enough room to travel down, and off of the wheel(dirtbike tires don't have this problem as they aren't nearly as wide).
I had to old school it, take the wheel and tire off the machine, stand them up vertically, and use 2 spoons and guards to pop the 2nd bead over the lip, and the tire completely off the wheel.
Installing the new tire, not bad, much like any other changing stand(you guys that have done the 2 spoons on the ground complete tire changes know all about this).
The stand is very strong, and is designed so it will not contact or damage a rotor.
Lube the bead, couple spoons, couple colorful metaphors, and the new tire pops right on.
Now, what to do.
No problem, my old man is a retired engineer, and good welder and fabricator(welding is not in my wheelhouse, aside from bird turds).
He will be over at the weekend for me to work on his truck...he doesn't know yet that he will be taking the Rabaconda home with him for modification, lol.
All that needs done is the cross bar support pictured(with the arrow pointing at it) moved down about 3-4", that will give the needed clearance for the bead breaker to push the tire down far enough to pop off of the wheel.
The metal box that holds the 6 spoons will also need removed, or just moved to the back of the main bead breaker support itself.
Under my circumstances, the machine is a win, and I'll get the bugs worked out.
Otherwise, at close to $400, for street tires, you would want to go with a different tire changer, or even just the old school 2 spoons.
But, again, the Rabaconda is Not marketed for street tires at all(I'm just hard headed and knew I could get it to do what I wanted).
The Rabaconda IS an excellent machine however, and no doubt it can and will change dirt tires just as easily as they claim, I'll find that out myself soon enough.
For balancing, I haven't done it yet.
I plan to tonight.
I have a Redline Stands static balancer, bought it off of a friend, and I've balanced many tires on it in the last decade.
Works excellent, glass smooth all the way to top speed, every bike, every time.
Pictures of Rabaconda loading.
More pics and info on balancer here later.

Pics

20210901_211308.jpg

20210901_211407.jpg

20210901_211522.jpg

FYI
Anyone changing tires that does not know; the paint mark or colored dot on one of any new tire's beads, marks the Lightest point of the tire.
Align that mark with the valve stem, and the tire will balance much easier and with less weight.

And, he forgot to order 90 degree valve stems, they are worth their weight in gold.
Oh well, next tire change.

20210901_222834.jpg

Those are the old weights still on(new are the same kind), and the tire is still not inflated.

The center shaft of the Rabaconda, that goes through the wheel, also comes with one sleeve, to help it fit several different wheel bearing i.d's
I am going to talk to my Dad about possibly making a threaded cap to hold the wheel down, as the bigger, heavier, and stiffer street tire is a little harder to work with than a dirt tire.

Another one done.
I have been mounting balancing bike tires for a long time now.
Another friend had an electric bike tire changing machine, but it finally died a year or so ago...so back to manual changing.
And as said, I've been using this balancer for a decade.
A cheap tire changing stand is nice, and I like the Rabaconda, but all you really need is 2 big bead breaking spoons.
Consider the cost of a couple hundred bucks in tools, vs what the dealer is charging you per tire.
And, if you can't take your wheels off, time for stands and hand tools...again cheaper than repeatedly paying the dealer.
It's a tire, it'll fight you, or it'll fall right on.
Either way...I don't pay $100-$150 just for mounting/balancing labor.
That adds up quick...and can go towards other mods.

20210903_201959.jpg

20210903_202007.jpg

20210903_232448.jpg

20210904_104001.jpg

20210904_104016.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to come back to this, so here is the modified Rabaconda.
The support bar was moved down over 5", and the box for the spoons moved from the side to the back.
My Dad just cut the bar and box, moved them and re-welded them.
He spray painted it to prevent rust, and I may still bring it to work and ask the coating guy to have it replated for me, but there's no real need to.
Original cross bar position

20210901_222509.jpg

Back