Tire changing/balancing options

StromBusa

Registered
I like to DIY all my work but I've never moved on to tirechanging streetbikes, mostly due to wanting a good balance. I changed allot of knobbies using tire irons on the garage floor, no love there. I currently just peel the wheels & head to the shop with the fresh rubber & drop $40 to get two "mount & balance". I'm running about 12,000 a year - three sets. So this is ~120 a year or about the cost of another tire. I like the looks of the "Cycle Hill" changer for about $365 and their balanced for about $100 . For another 75 I can get the adapter for Reese Hitch, and keep clutter off the garage floor. I could also get some good spoons, rim savers & bead breaker way less cost, and use the new bead system for balancing. Or keep going to the shop - the easy route but planning more bikes, like the idea of swapping my own skins. any pioneers out there help me break through the confusion? Experience with the breads?

- Cycle Hill Motorcycle Tire Changer[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Harbor Freight. The wheel changer with the motorcycle adapter can be bought for $100 to $120 depending on sales. Bolt the base to a slab of plywood and you have a great tire changing system for less than $200. I have changed about 12 sets on mine.

Well I personally like No-Mar however I don't have any proof that one company is better than another so I will only be adding to your confusion. :laugh:

I have the harbor freight setup with the "no mar" bar... (keeps from tearing wheels up) I have changed maybe 100 tires on it and have trained a few guys to use it.. Shops around here are at $45 to change a tire "off" the bike.. you can build a tire balancer for about $20

Can you guys post some links up of what all you bought. I need everything involved in changing and balancing. Def tired of giving all that money to the shops. Thanks

bought the harbor freight today, they have the motorcycle adapter on sale until the 26th for $49. (17% off normal $59)
I clipped the %20 off coupon from cycleworld and saved on the main part of the changer.
total for both $97 and change.
I will take the Bogus advice and order a Nomar tire bar for $100 and set it up for a receiver hitch and floor mount.
Balancer will come later on another coupon for %20 off. Clipped that one from car and driver magazine.

:thumbsup:

I was going to save for the Nomar, nearly $1000 for the total package, top of the line Nomar.
saw this for $995, not portable.. but would be nice in the garage. :thumbsup:

Nomar is a little too proud of their manual machine.

tire change.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have the harbor freight set up. Now let me get flamed. Use to change the tires with a set of spoons and got tired of it so I bought the tire changer. It comes with a great little bead breaker. I didn't buy anything to balance my tires with because I have never had a balance issue by placing the tire dot on the stem, and yes I have a friend that occasionally takes the bike all the way. Never an issue. Someone told me the quality of our bike tires allows this. Flame on brothers :laugh:

Well, I have the harbor freight set up. Now let me get flamed. Use to change the tires with a set of spoons and got tired of it so I bought the tire changer. It comes with a great little bead breaker. I didn't buy anything to balance my tires with because I have never had a balance issue by placing the tire dot on the stem, and yes I have a friend that occasionally takes the bike all the way. Never an issue. Someone told me the quality of our bike tires allows this. Flame on brothers :laugh:

:flamethrowing::flamethrowing::flamethrowing::flamethrowing::flamethrowing::flamethrowing:

Feel better now ???:laugh:

anyone else have a problem with breaking the no mar bar tips?

What could i be doing wrong? Cold tire? Wrong angle? Have blown through 4 demount tips and 1 mount tip.

I have not balanced a tire on the busa yet... The Pirelli Corsa3 is a factory balanced tire FWIW.. But even on the track at 160+, never had any balance issues so never worried about it.. no flame, just agreement here :)

It is important to center the opposite side of the tire in the sweet mid part of the rim to help reduce stress on the tight side that you are working.

What could i be doing wrong? Cold tire? Wrong angle? Have blown through 4 demount tips and 1 mount tip.

yes you can break or bend them, the trick is not to get the tire on the plastic tip away from the rim.. You want the bead of the tire as close to the rim as possible when on the nylon tip.. (sort of hard to explain but I will get you a picture next time I get a tire setup..)

The upside? lifetime warranty on the tips.. send the bent/broken ones back to no mar and they will replace them for free..

Are you using lots of lube? A warm tire will be easier to work with too.

yes you can break or bend them, the trick is not to get the tire on the plastic tip away from the rim.. You want the bead of the tire as close to the rim as possible when on the nylon tip.. (sort of hard to explain but I will get you a picture next time I get a tire setup..)

The upside? lifetime warranty on the tips.. send the bent/broken ones back to no mar and they will replace them for free..

ordered some more today and will send back the others.:beerchug:

Back