Question on chain

UR IT!

MIDNIGHT FALCON
Donating Member
Registered
I had my bike up on the pit bulls doin' a few checks and I noticed the chain was loose....so....like a million other times, I do the adjustment and get it within tolerance. After I'm done I spin the wheel and notice my chain tightened up..so I spin it again and the chain loosens back up...weird.

I've never had this happen before and I was wondering if my cush drive might be worn and need replacing. Anyone ever have this happen to them after an adjustment? I've got an '02 that I've owned since new and I do all the basic type maintenence but never had this problem.

Any help would be appreciated..

Dan

mine does this sometime, I just mess with it till I get it where I want it. I just replaced my stock chain with a ZZZ chain and have not had to adjust it yet.

or your chain is stretched unevenly... and check your wheel bearings too.. especially on the left side.... we had one the other day that broke its ball retaining cage and would adjust itself as it turned

It's more than likely just the chain; it happens. Check it after adjusting it while you're sitting on it and upright or level. roll it forward a foot or so and recheck. It's the way you do it.
beerchug.gif

mine does this sometime, I just mess with it till I get it where I want it.  I just replaced my stock chain with a ZZZ chain and have not had to adjust it yet.
So what your saying is do the adjustment a little looser so when it spins it won't get too tight? Or get a new chain?

Why has this never happened before?

How many miles on the chain and describe your normal maintenance and riding habits.

mine does this sometime, I just mess with it till I get it where I want it.  I just replaced my stock chain with a ZZZ chain and have not had to adjust it yet.
So what your saying is do the adjustment a little looser so when it spins it won't get too tight? Or get a new chain?

Yes, that is what I had to do, and I use a Pit Bull stand when adjusting. How many miles do you have on your chain? I had 30000 on mine and it was shot, and I will never run one that long again.

It's more than likely just the chain; it happens. Check it after adjusting it while you're sitting on it and upright or level. roll it forward a foot or so and recheck. It's the way you do it.  
beerchug.gif
I've always done the adjustment up on pit bull stands and up til now never had this problem...Maybe the chain has just stretched funny

Thanks

Yes, that is what I had to do, and I use a Pit Bull stand when adjusting. How many miles do you have on your chain? I had 30000 on mine and it was shot, and I will never run one that long again.
20,000 miles on the chain.....maybe I'm just ready to change up

It might be time, get the chain, front and rear sprockets. I clean and wax mine about every 1K miles now too.

I always check and ajust my chain(s) on a roller.It probally doesn't make much difference though.

Hey Dan, how ya doing. The same exact thing happened on my 05. I checked the measurement on the chain and it was way out of spec. I replaced front and rear sprockets and the chain and the problem went away. Stretch the chain and count out 21 pins or 20 pitches. Measure the distance between the two points. If the distance exceeds 12.57 inches the chain is out of spec and needs to be replaced. You may already know this but the proceedures is on page 2-21 of the Hayabusa Service Manual. It will only take a couple of minutes to check and it is definately worth your time.

You have a worn rear sprocket. That's where the tight, then loose issue comes from. If your on 20Kmiles with the factory hardware then replace both sprockets and the chain.

I had my bike up on the pit bulls doin' a few checks and I noticed the chain was loose....so....like a million other times, I do the adjustment and get it within tolerance. After I'm done I spin the wheel and notice my chain tightened up..so I spin it again and the chain loosens back up...weird.

I've never had this happen before and I was wondering if my cush drive might be worn and need replacing. Anyone ever have this happen to them after an adjustment? I've got an '02 that I've owned since new and I do all the basic type maintenence but never had this problem.

Any help would be appreciated..

Dan
If you feel chain lag on snap acceleration the chain needs tightning as normal. BUT IF............. the chain has been adjusted too tight and has adversly streched the chain it will strain the the rear sprocket ovaly on the cush rubbers and it will only take maybe 100 miles before damage is noticeable
Only option is turn the wheel untill you hit the tight spot then adjust as normal. Only if the chain and sprockets are reasonably new. Then reajust as per tight spot adjustment... every 300 miles, the sprockets and chain should start running true again. normaly after 4 to 6 adjustments. other wise the damage it too severe. and ohhh Dear. The sprockets and chain need changing period...........

Just replace the chain. It's time. Check the sprockets for damage or unusual wear and replace them too, if necessary.

--Wag--

Hey Dan, how ya doing.  The same exact thing happened on my 05.  I checked the measurement on the chain and it was way out of spec.  I replaced front and rear sprockets and the chain and the problem went away.  Stretch the chain and count out 21 pins or 20 pitches.  Measure the distance between the two points.  If the distance exceeds 12.57 inches the chain is out of spec and needs to be replaced.  You may already know this but the proceedures is on page 2-21 of the Hayabusa Service Manual.  It will only take a couple of minutes to check and it is definately worth your time.
Hey Danny! How are you?

I'll have to do that simple check...thanks for the heads up.

Back