"WHINING" noise coming from my chain

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
I just purchased a new EK ZVX 112 link chain..installed it last night and went to test ride it this afternoon and I'm getting a really bad "whining" sound out of the chain..can somebody possibly tell me what is going on?
rock.gif

I am getting a whining sound (for lack of better explanation) from the chain...the chain is not binding anywhere--I checked the travel by manually rotating the tire and watching the chain roll over the rear sprocket and route up to the front sprocket..it all looks like it is tracking straight..

I noticed the sound when I test drove it this afternoon after installing the chain...you can hear it well when riding and I can get up to speed and engage the clutch and it whines as the bike is slowing down...almost as if it is rubbing something but I have really looked and you can't see it visibly rubbing anything...

So, I put it back up on the stand thinking that maybe I have it adjusted too tight...

I re-loosened everything and started over...adjusted the chain EVENLY on both sides back to what I know is proper adjustment- I even went a little bit looser than what I had it adjusted the first time hoping that it was just too tight, but still the same results... I even measured my adjustment on the left and right tension adjustment blocks..they measure dead-on even at 1" from the front...

So, I am hoping you can give me some insight as to what might be going on...I know it is adjusted evenly, not too tight...so why would it be making the whining noise???
This is the FIRST chain I've replaced since the original (BUT NOT THE FIRST CHAIN I'VE EVER REPLACED...JUST THE FIRST ON THE BUSA)... what could be causing this? The original factory chain just had normal sound....so what am I possibly doing wrong??

Thanks in advance for any help...Chris

some of the after market C.S. do not have a rubber dampner on them and make a bit of whining noise or if ya cleaned the sprocket cover out it can sound louder cause all that grease can damp'in it some

They both are practically brand new...bought them from Charles only bought 3000 miles ago...bought the chain from him too...both front and rear were in perfect shape though....

Sprockets worn! Happened with my uncles old cowie.

Ozz, I had already installed 16/42 sprockets and ran my factory chain on them..my factory chain still looked fine but it had just stretched to the max 12 1/2" limit..that's why I changed it out before it got dangerous...but after installing the new sprockets, I didn't have any more noise than what it sounded like originally from the factory...this is definately from the new chain install.....
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

crazy.gif

when you replaced the front one i bet it dident have any rubber material on it which is normal but they do whine a little

05BusaLE,

surely that front sprocket didn't wear out that quick....it's a practically brand new one from charles...only bout 3000 miles on it...plus no odd sounds when I was running the old chain on it at all....
crazy.gif

it could be that the old chain wore the new sprockets they could wear quick if the chain was already starting to go

i know you know but always change everything at once if your gonna do it
biggrin.gif

Ozz, you are definitely right....it didn't have any rubber dampner on it...I knew that with the aftermarket it wouldn't----but this definitely sounds like something just ain't right.....It's not like one of those whines that you would just live with...It's pretty noticeable like somethine ain't right...
But I've checked and double-checked and just can't see anything wrong!!??!

PM Charles at S&T ask him, if the chain was worn maybe it wore the sprockets out! I would send the chain back and get another as well as get new sprockets.

Ozz...05BusaLE...

thanks for the help...I'm still puzzled....the old chain might have worn out the "new" front sprocket...I don't know...

I didn't pull the front cowl, and front sprocket cover when I did the chain change....I just routed the new chain on by feeding it through behind the old chain....just thought by the good look of my rear sprocket (changed it and the front to a 16/42 combo at the same time), that the front would still be good too....you'd think that if it wore the front too bad the back sprocket would have shown some wear or damage too...but it STILL looks perfectly NEW!!!! I don't ride too hard on them...

Brother, did you happen to change brake pads at the same time? Also, if it is that bad, pull the sprocket cover off and have a look see if anything is in there.

Not highly recommended, but you could also (with a friend!) put it up on stands and put it in gear, let the bike run the wheel and see where the whine is coming from... just don't do it for too long without load...

Hey shawn....I didn't replace the rear brakes....but I DID put it up on stands and ran it up in third pretty good to get the wheel speed up---and pulled in the clutch to listen as to where the whine might be...

It does sound like it's coming from the front to maybe the middle section of the assembly...just can't pinpoint it....I'll pull the cowl and front sprocket cover off tomorrow after I get home from work and visually inspect the front....

Has anyone ever experienced this from a new chain install too?
rock.gif

If so, what was the problem....and fix?
rock.gif
?

Shawn, thanks bro.....any help anyone can give is appreciated!!!

rock.gif

Couple of things come to mind..
Loose/worn sprocket could be either the front or rear! (these should be replaced with the chain in pairs)
Over torqued axle
mis-adjusted chain
Doubtful but possible cush drive worn causing mis-alignment of new chain.

Y'all, one more thing I just thought about....

I did the chain adjustment with the bike's rear suspended in the air...had the bike on stands for ease of movement of the rear wheel, etc...

Does it make any difference if the bike is suspended on stands when you do the chain tensioning, or does it need to be on the ground supported by the kickstand while doing the chain adjusting??

Would that throw off my tension possibly?
rock.gif
Just brainstormin'.....
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

crazy.gif

crazy.gif

How about chain too tight, (allow at least 1/2" at bottom with laden suspension) not aligned, or more than likely a worn primary sprocket! Remember it has to turn 3 times for every one of the rear or almost in your case. This may sound cave man but if you want to know for sure turn the primary around and the whine will change or go away! A worn chain on a new cog isn't a cost affective way to go! The chain will stretch to fit and they cost way more than the 16 tooth front. You can also put your own sound deadening on the after market sprocket with a good clean sprocket and some good silicone. I've done it and it stays.

thanks for the thoughts KS-waterbug and 8Daytona8....I'll pull the front cowl and sprocket cover tomorrow and visually check the front sprocket...if it looks even the least bit worn I'll just go ahead and buy another 16 tooth front...you're definately right 8Daytona8---that's the least expensive of the two!!!! I'll buy another front in a heart beat before I let it screw that chain up....I'll look at it and see-

It may be that the chain is just TOO TIGHT doing the adjustment without any load on the rear wheel though....so I'll look at the front sprocket then put it back on the ground and do the tension adjustment with it loaded on the ground...

I've PM'ed Charles already too...I'll see what this does tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it maybe charles and I can get something arranged to swap chains out and maybe get a new front at the same time....

I'm gonna look at these couple of things tomorrow afternoon after I get home from work but If anyone else has some ideas or thoughts tell me===I'm going to bed...it's been a REAL, REAL, ................MONDAY~~~~~~
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

crazy.gif

Back