Front sprocket whine on my Z

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I just had the chain and sprockets replaced on my Z and now I hear a whine under my legs. I used a (just like the OEM) :rolleyes: aftermarket cushioned front steel sprocket and a steel rear made in Germany. It whines holding speed above 40 mph and when accelerating in the higher gears. It may be whining all the time but I only hear it when accelerating or holding speed. The sound disappears when coasting or upon decel. The chain is adjusted and lubed and I can’t see any other cause for the whine except for the non OEM counter sprocket. Any other ideas? The tranny or chain etc never had a whine before the swap.

What brand of sprocket? Maybe it has a bit of an odd pitch or slightly offset so the teeth are rubbing slightly on the chain links...

Have you checked the chain for any wear?

Does it have the OEM or modified teeth on the sprocket? I note they offer both on the supplied link...

When I've heard of this noise on the ZX-14 in the past, it was attributed to using a smaller sprocket but maybe there's more to it than that. I haven't heard of anyone actually finding a problem related to the whine, just that it's annoying. I think mine might do it from a video I made with the camera mounted way down near the sprocket but I can't hear it while I'm riding.

No, an exact replacement right down to the cushioned front sprocket except it’s not an OEM Kawasaki sprocket.
Pretty odd this is happening.....I guess other than changing out the front sprocket, there's not much left to diagnose...

Pretty odd this is happening.....I guess other than changing out the front sprocket, there's not much left to diagnose...
Yeah odd, alot of the aftermarket ones dont have the cushions and thats usually the noise you hear but this aint the case ??

Back