Wobbly rear sprocket on my Z

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I’ve been hearing kind of a wah wah wah wah as I ride which usually means the chain has a tight spot. As I lubed the chain and checked for tightness in the links, the chain was fine but as I lubed it I noticed the sprocket has a slight wobble as it rotates. Never seen that before. It wasn’t loose so it has to be warped. The carrier was steady but the sprocket wobbles as it rotates. I wonder if it too was out sourced to China. :laugh: With just under 13,000 miles I guess the wobble has worn the chain too badly to just replace the sprocket so new chain and sprockets will be forthcoming. Not sure I want to go with another OEM sprocket no matter where it was made so I’ll look to the aftermarket for some. Never happened on the Busa...:D

I’ve been hearing kind of a wah wah wah wah as I ride which usually means the chain has a tight spot. As I lubed the chain and checked for tightness in the links, the chain was fine but as I lubed it I noticed the sprocket has a slight wobble as it rotates. Never seen that before. It wasn’t loose so it has to be warped. The carrier was steady but the sprocket wobbles as it rotates. I wonder if it too was out sourced to China. :laugh: With just under 13,000 miles I guess the wobble has worn the chain too badly to just replace the sprocket so new chain and sprockets will be forthcoming. Not sure I want to go with another OEM sprocket no matter where it was made so I’ll look to the aftermarket for some. Never happened on the Busa...:D
That's an odd one for sure...maybe the sprocket nuts were torqued incorrectly??

That's an odd one for sure...maybe the sprocket nuts were torqued incorrectly??

I was thinking that too. It’s not a big wobble, more like just out of true, just enough that I can see a little variation as it rotates. Looking at the hub it’s bolted to I can’t see any wobble as the tire rotates. Gotta be the sprocket.

I was thinking that too. It’s not a big wobble, more like just out of true, just enough that I can see a little variation as it rotates. Looking at the hub it’s bolted to I can’t see any wobble as the tire rotates. Gotta be the sprocket.
In any case it's an odd thing to have happen...

I was thinking a worn out cush drive, maybe? I think the sprocket carrier would stay true to the engine sprocket though as long as the axle was tight. Could the chain adjusters have been misaligned badly enough that the the back of the sprocket got pulled out to the side doing a wheelie or something?

Back