Longest lasting sprocket?

NuckaMan

Registered
It's almost time for some new tires and "while-I'm-at-it", I'll be replacing the OEM sprocket and chain.

My Busa serves a commuter/touring bike for me, so I don't ride it that hard, but I do want a longest-lasting setup between tire/chain/sprocket changes.

Tires: Mich. Power Road 2

Chain: DID

Rear Sprocket: Hoping to hear some suggestions?

Front Sprocket: OEM?

Thanks

The DID ZVM2 is a good chain (10,400# rating). You probably already know aluminum sprockets offer a short life. The SuperSprox seem very good but are gold and black. I went for regular hardened steel. JMO.

On the sprockets I go with a steel version. On the chain I go with what is best out on the market and what I can get a good deal on. I have about 20k on the chain that is on my bike now and it's gettiin close for it being needed to be replaced. Good luck on your search.

You may also consider going +3 on the rear for a little extra low end pep. Downside is you'll need a SpeedoHealer or something similar to make your speedometer correct.

Steel. Check around, there are always deals on sprocket and chain combos. You just have to look.

EK chain
JT steel sprocket if you sport tour and commute keep stock size maybe +1 in back but that would be it

Lots of guys run Supersprox here...steel outer ring...inner aluminum...Guys with big hp are also using them because they last...price..not too bad...Pashnit.com is where I got mine he is one of our sponsor guys..2hip

A standard steel sprocket is your best bang for the $$$...Supersprox is a good product, but not worth the extra $$$ vs. a good steel one.

Sunstar makes excellent steel sprockets. Basically Japanese OEM sprockets, but a lot cheaper than Suzuki prices. Been using them for years. A little harder to find than JT Sprockets, but about the same price. Dennis Kirk carries Sunstar for the Busa.

Just for grins, I checked out factory parts at Oneida Suzuki SPROCKETS / CHAIN GSX1300 HAYABUSA 1999-2007 :: Hayabusa 1998-2007 :: OEM Replacement Parts :: Suzuki Hayabusa :: Street & SuperSport :: Oneida Suzuki Inc Looks like you could do all factory parts (chain and sprockets) for $236.42 shipped. That's a lot less than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the response everyone and the suggestions.

Yeah, I'd be definitely shopping for a steel or steel-teethed sprocket. Since I'm not racing, slight gain or maintaining current rotational weight is not a huge issue for me. I'm all about reliability now.

As for a Titanium sprocket comment, due to the nature of titanium and the application, not only would it be very expensive but there would be no performance gain over a heat-treated and hard-ano'ed aluminum sprocket...in fact, it maybe worse due to the high-tensile strength of Ti (it would be make for a very unforgiving sprocket and prone to teeth being easily chipped or cracking).

Ti chain, which I have never seen, would be interesting. It would be pretty dang light, but gotta be expensive and have a really short working life. But this depends on where and how Ti is used on the chain.

Sorry, my engin-nerd was coming out.

Last edited:
The stock sprocket hanging on the wall has lastest me the longest~!~ :laugh:

I use some Vortex, looks like you've got some good info going here~!~

Yeah on the titanium chain look it up the price really isnt to bad and let me know what you guys think cant exactly remember the site i did have the site in my favorits

Vortex only lasted 10k, after 35k on the original steel sprockets and chain, and that's mostly commuting miles... I'm going back to steel.

Does pashnit sell both the supersprox and the ek zzz chain? I am gonna need chain and sprocket here pretty soon.

Back