I want the longest lasting sport-touring tire

The Big Red One

Registered
I'm not a huge corner carver...me and the missus are more sport-tourers, so amazing grip isn't a priority. I just want something that lasts more than 3000 miles and isn't as slick as whale snot in an ice floe. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

The Avon Azaro was recommended to me because of it's hi mileage ratings but is still grippy enough for moderate curves. My mechanic told me it wasn't a good tire for the way I ride, but I like to run the Dragon on occasion. Might be worth a look.

Get the Avon. I got 4500 miles out of the stock B56. I'm getting my second Avon 46 mounted today. Got 8000 miles out of the first one. As for carving corners, well, here's a pic.

000_0021.JPG

Awesome, I know it is not my thread and I am not trying to hijack you. I put 911 miles on Guinevere last week. I put about that every week, weather allowing. The Avon's will be my next tire.

Busawhipped, can you give us a little more info on how they handle vs. the bt56? TIA

Don

I have the Avon AV46............. Great tread life and performance so far. But I'm not that aggressive in the turns.
The stock Batt Axe was wasted at 3200mi.

smile.gif

I wouldn't run them on a track day. On the street, I only ride 85-90% at most, and I've only had two minor slips in very tight turns (posted at 20 MPH). I'm not sure if the slips were caused by the tire or the road. I've gotten compliments for hanging with GIXER 750s and SV1000s through the twisties. They couldn't believe I was running touring tires with a bunch of miles on them. I didn't ride the BT56s as hard as I run the Avons because I was breaking the bike in and still getting used to the Busa when they wore out. So I don't think I can give a good comparison for anything other than mileage. BT56 - 4500 miles easy to moderate riding. Avon 46 - 8000 miles moderate to agressive riding.

well i wonder how they will hold up to burn out and SPINNING but maybe we could get a group buy on them

My son turned me on to the Maxxis Super Max tires. I have 6500 miles on mine now with plenty of life left. I do touring rides like you, but I broke the tires in at the dragon during busa bash, and was impressed by the stick. Price was right too, $175 for both front and rear from motox.com

I've read that the new dunlop qualifier is supposed to be a high milage dual compound tire like the avon. I know they are new so we wont know how long (mileage wise) they will last. But again like the avon it is supposed to have a hard center to last longer for touring and a softer side that is better for cornering. From those that have them here on the board these tires sound great, great traction but again we wont know how long they last until someone puts 4000+ miles on them. My friend has the avons on his bike and likes them but he doesnt like them in the rain, said they were a bit slippery but someone just posted in the last few days that they got caught in the rain with the qualifiers and still had full confidence in them. Just something else to think about. I myself am on the fence about buying one or the other....

i had really good luck with Mentzler MeZ4's i even did a couple track days with them and still got over 5000 miles outta them to bad there no longer made and i haven't gone through my first set of Z6 Roadtechs yet but they seems to work pretty good 3000 miles and counting right now

I also have some pilot roads i plan to try but no miles on them yet

I use the Bridgestone Battleax BT20 tires. I just changed
my 2000 Busa and got 13,000 miles from them. I also,
changed my 2005 Busa a week ago and got 10,000 miles
from them. I would have done better, but picked up a nail
on Bay Bridge. They work well for me. I ran the Avon's
once and got about 11,000 miles from them. I'm sure milage is different for everyone. I ride to SF every day about 114 round trip. I also do lake runs (twistys) on every Sunday to
keep the tires from wearing only in the middle. Good luck.

In my humble opinion you can't go wrong with the Avons. I talked a buddy of mine into a set of them for his FJR13 and he loves em. If youre really into a tire that'll last he got 12,000 miles out of his stock Bridgestone BT020's! I was in awe! He chucked them because the front was cupping (Bridgestone standard issue) and the rear was getting thin in the middle. But with 12K on it I would have been through 4 sets of the BT56s in that span. Much as I would like to be able to afford to spend a grand a year on tires I cannot. Heard a lot of good stuff on the Metzeler Z6's too. Personally I was looking for something in between an ST tire and a Track day tire. If I can get 4-5k out of my new Metzeler Z3's I think I will be a happy camper.

Back