Longest lasting sprocket?

Black Mamba Motorcycle GIF by Moore Mafia

I’m fairly confident that a sprocket (possibly aluminum) that wears quickly, will take even the best chain along with it.

I’m fairly confident that a sprocket (possibly aluminum) that wears quickly, will take even the best chain along with it.

I have abused many an aluminum rear sprocket, and broken multiple teeth off of several(wheelies).
Suprisingly as it seems, I have never noticed any excessive or faster chain wear.
The chains never got tight links, spit o-rings, or needed adjusted between tire changes.
I also run multiple sprockets on most of my bikes, and on the same chains.
The soft aluminum doesn't cause nearly as much wear as hardened steel.

Reactions: pcs
I have abused many an aluminum rear sprocket, and broken multiple teeth off of several(wheelies).
Suprisingly as it seems, I have never noticed any excessive or faster chain wear.
The chains never got tight links, spit o-rings, or needed adjusted between tire changes.
I also run multiple sprockets on most of my bikes, and on the same chains.
The soft aluminum doesn't cause nearly as much wear as hardened steel.

I had something in my mind about the aluminum (or steel) teeth elongating, causing the chain to wear. Can't actually recall why now.

10 years ago I had a dirt bike that came with a non o-ring chain. That only lasted a few rides over the muddy winter before it was junk. Woops.

Maybe that was it. On another bike (20 years back), I had a chain / sprocket set that BARELY made it from Phoenix to Durango and back. It stretched so fast that I was adjusting it every day. Likely another non o-ring.

#slow-learner

MVC-022S-M.jpg

I had something in my mind about the aluminum (or steel) teeth elongating, causing the chain to wear. Can't actually recall why now.

10 years ago I had a dirt bike that came with a non o-ring chain. That only lasted a few rides over the muddy winter before it was junk. Woops.

Maybe that was it. On another bike (20 years back), I had a chain / sprocket set that BARELY made it from Phoenix to Durango and back. It stretched so fast that I was adjusting it every day. Likely another non o-ring.

#slow-learner

View attachment 1680077

Non o-ring chains have short life spans, as there is nothing to keep out dirt and moisture, which quickly eats away at the rollers.
And, chain technology has come a long way since then.
I am suprised and impressed that after a couple thousand miles on the EK chain on the '18 gsxr1k...that I have not needed to adjust it at all.
I set it when I put it on, and have only checked it since, I havn't had to touch it.
It's also a 520, down from the stock 525
It has a much higher tensile strength, and even with less mass, is yet to show any signs of wearing fast, let alone any visible wear at all.
It has a Vortex hardcut aluminun rear sprocket, and Vortex steel front, with stock gearing.
I swapped my '03 gsxr1k from the stock 530 to a 520, same kind of sprockets, D.I.D chain.
Both bikes dropped close to 2.5 lbs of weight, rotating mass...on parts that wear out anyway, so basically a free upgrade.
I would not be concerned about modern chains, even stock chains, in terms of strength or durability, and lasting alot of miles.

On the chain I go with what is best out on the market and what I can get a good deal on. I have about 20k on the chain that is on my bike now and it's gettiin close for it being needed to be replaced. Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
Back