"WHINING" noise coming from my chain

I had this very same complaint when I installed a new chain. These chains are louder that the stock chain. I also found that you need to use another method to make sure its running straight. Do a search for the string method of chian alignment. Even when its right it makes more noise than stock but you dont have to adjust it as much as the stock chain.

inspect the swingarm ,and rear sprocket for aluminum dust if somthing is rubbin in the rear there will be fine dust all over the swingarm , positive the spacers is correct on the rear wheel ? sounds like the chain is too tight , take it off the kickstand sit on it you should be able to move the chain 1 in 1/2 in up 1/2 in down half way between the raer and the front sprocket , if you find aluminum dust on the swingarm somthing is wrong and i wouldnt ride till its corrected
beerchug.gif
good luck

I was thinking the chain was too tight until you said you'd rechecked the tension... But if you did it unloaded, the problem probably is that the chain is too tight.

Update...

Went back and did the adjustment with the bike on the ground and this straightened it out...It IS still louder than the stock chain a little but I can tell now it doesn't seem to be under stress now..

One thing I did notice was that even after putting it on the ground, I did my adjustment and had the tension where I wanted it- went to tighten the axle nut and as I did it tightened up the chain MORE....so, I had to compensate on my adjusting for the fact that tightening the axle nut tensed it up too! That was where it was probably getting me..

I went ahead and pulled the front cowl and front sprocket cover off ANYWAY and looked everything over up there too- the front sprocket was still like new...everything up there as it should be...so thank ya LORD!!! Cush was okay in the rear wheel also...less than a 1/4" play...

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP TO EVERYBODY!!! Y'ALL ARE MY KINDA FOLKS!! I'll always return the favor of "good advice" and help as often as I can....See y'all...gotta ride to work!!!

100_3954copy.jpg

cool.gif
glad it was just the adjustment now go get yer self some miles on her
smile.gif
race.gif

(coop65sr @ Mar. 07 2007,07:16) Update...

One thing I did notice was that even after putting it on the ground, I did my adjustment and had the tension where I wanted it- went to tighten the axle nut and as I did it tightened up the chain MORE....so, I had to compensate on my adjusting for the fact that tightening the axle nut tensed it up too! That was where it was probably getting me..
When you adjust the chain you have to loosen up the rear caliper stay. That is the bar that comes off of the bottom of the caliper and connects to the front bottom of swingarm. Loosen it at both ends, you will see that the chain wont tighten up any while tighten the axle nut.
Glad you found your noise Enjoy your ride!

Chris,
The first chain I replaced on my 2000 did exactly the same thing you are discribing. It whinned until I wore it out also. Going on things I had read, the next chain change was with a new front and rear (O.E.M) sprocket. Now have 12,000 miles on them and they run as quite as the original set up did. Hope this helps.

Ozz and O5BusaLe...

Thanks again guys for the help.
beerchug.gif

The chain is doing better..sounding better-- I had been loosening the brake caliper bar on the end closest to the caliper--I wasn't loosening the smaller bolt that attaches to the swingarm though- I definitely will loosen both from now on. It was kinda a guessing game to figure how much to tighten, then to tighten the axle nut and have it tighten a little more!! Thanks for the advice!!! Chris

(coop65sr @ Mar. 09 2007,18:12) Ozz and O5BusaLe...

Thanks again guys for the help.
beerchug.gif

The chain is doing better..sounding better-- I had been loosening the brake caliper bar on the end closest to the caliper--I wasn't loosening the smaller bolt that attaches to the swingarm though- I definitely will loosen both from now on. It was kinda a guessing game to figure how much to tighten, then to tighten the axle nut and have it tighten a little more!! Thanks for the advice!!! Chris
i wonder if a guy was to turn the axel around and with the nut on the oppisite side when ya tighten it maybe it wouldent tighten up the chain as much?

could that work? has anyone tried it?

prolly wont make a diff but was just wondering

Ozz, funny you should ask that- I am running mine just like that...I swapped the axle arm around so that the nut is on the left side some back in january...had a friend of mine tell me he had to swap his around cause his began to hit his exhuaust (he's running a tsukigi)...my muzzy is about the same and we are both running lowered enough that especially if riding two-up if we hit too hard a bump that the exhaust would hit the axle nut....so I swapped it around to keep that from happening...I ride with my wife a lot... no issues that I can see a problem with...my chain problem was just me adjusting...if you want to do that I am not having any problems...just swapped mine around--proud of my muzzy and didn't want to knock a dent in it...that would be just my luck to have that happen- so I switched it.. weather is better now here in MS...gonna ride tomorrow!!!!!!

100_3974copy.jpg

(coop65sr @ Mar. 09 2007,18:38) Ozz, funny you should ask that- I am running mine just like that...I swapped the axle arm around so that the nut is on the left side some back in january...had a friend of mine tell me he had to swap his around cause his began to hit his exhuaust (he's running a tsukigi)...my muzzy is about the same and we are both running lowered enough that especially if riding two-up if we hit too hard a bump that the exhaust would hit the axle nut....so I swapped it around to keep that from happening...I ride with my wife a lot... no issues that I can see a problem with...my chain problem was just me adjusting...if you want to do that I am not having any problems...just swapped mine around--proud of my muzzy and didn't want to knock a dent in it...that would be just my luck to have that happen- so I switched it.. weather is better now here in MS...gonna ride tomorrow!!!!!!
cool.gif
on my 1000 the axel nut is on the left like you have yours on your busa and everytime i adjust the chain on the 1000 it tightens up so im left to guess to

i think i will turn that puppy around and try it like that

muscle.gif
thanks brother
smile.gif
have a good
race.gif
ride sat.

I have exactly the same problem just replaced chain from oem no sprockets, one other thought was if you over tighten the rivet link or put the wrong one in would that make the noise.

the stock chain is used to the manufacture required "break in" and not used to heavy loads....that zzz chain wants to be abused!!!....its whining because your going too slow!!!!................. lol... but seriously...great advice from the members...all good indications...always adjust while on ground and under load...i usually have my wife or daughter sit on it while i do final adjust and tighten...

If the teeth on the sprockets are not curved or sharp, they should be fine.3000 miles shouldnt wear out a chain and sprockets.Is the chain too tight??

I have exactly the same problem just replaced chain from oem no sprockets, one other thought was if you over tighten the rivet link or put the wrong one in would that make the noise.

bike is now fixed turned out to be 2 problems over tightened solid nose master link, and the nut on the axle wasn't tight enough there for maybe it was throwing the alignment out any way fixed now

Back