Same chain length or longer?

Rocketman

Registered
I've looked through many, many, chain questions and didn't see the answer to this one. I put the 42t sprocket on the rear this last week.

During reassembly, I noticed how little space there was for adjustment and the chain seems quite tight with the bigger sprocket on it. I feel like I need to put the longer chain on it (I have a new one ready to go,) so I can get the wheel further back on the swingarm.

Right now, it's as far forward as possible with the 42t on it and it's still way snug. (It actually seems too tight.)

I had a 17/42 on mine with a fairly new chain. It only had a few passes on it.

you need to have at least 1/2" of slack on the chain. If you cant get that, you need to have another link in the chain.

As crazy as this sounds....could it just be different styles of stretched arms?

Is the chain old or new? I have seen posts on this saying that all you have to do is move the axle all the way forward. I am putting a chrome 42 tooth on mine tonight. (Thankyou Tuckdl89 for hooking me up!)

If its a new chain it'll stretch, just be easy on it until you get the .8" to 1.2" slack.

If its a used chain, it shouldn't stretch anymore, so you need another link.

The chain that's on there - is the original with 16k miles on it. It's pretty snug. I do have a performance chain - but I was going to wait to see how I like the set up for now. I want to use the performance chain this summer at the track.

Is there a way to remove the chain without having to break it? If I remove the front sprocket, will the chain come all the way off? Or do I have to break it? Thanks tons!

You'll have to break it to remove it (or pull the swingarm)

Are there any kinks in the chain as it rolls?

This may sound odd, but did you count the actual teeth. I have seen them mismarked/packaged before.

Very strange, you should have no problem putting that 42 on there. Sounds crazy, but did you count the teeth?

Like Brendan, I'm also running 17/43 with a stock arm and chain. I had to move the axle all the way forward and 'rotate' the chain onto the sprocket (the chain wouldn't just slip on). But once it was on, there was enough slack to adjust it properly.

Went 17/42 and installed a new 112 link ZZZ at the same time and enough room for a 43.Professor has a good point of the chain being short to begin with.

I had 17/42 on mine w/original chain with 6000mi on it and it fit just fine. Had room for a 43 for sure...

with 16K on the chain, I think I would be looking at replacing the thing anyway.. (which means you need to get a longer chain for sure)
thumb_up.gif

Back