New sprockets same chain

roland5color

Registered
Looking for some one who has experience with using new sprockets with old chain. My chain and sprockets have 3000 miles on them. I clean, lube and adjust chain every 300-400 miles. It basically stays spotless. My sprockets show almost now wear and the chain is in perfect condition.

I understand that you dont want to put a new chain on worn sprockets or vise versa but I show almost now wear on mine. No binding links or bad rollers or excessive stretch on the chain. I just don't want to toss a perfectly good chain in the garabage if I can avoid it. Also not trying to be rude but i'm looking for responses from people who have actually done this. Not my friend, dealer or mechanic says kind of responses please. Maybe someone who races at different tracks and changes gearing could chime in. Thanks in advance for any help.

Generally you replace the chain and sprockets together. What you haven't said is why you want to change the sprockets and not the chain, so I'm assuming that either you want to change the drive ratio or you want to put a fancier rear sprocket on for (mostly) cosmetic reasons. If that's right, then I'd say you're ok changing just the sprockets and not the chain. Recognize that you probably won't get as long a life out of them compared to changing chain and sprockets together, but it's not a disaster. Just keep an eye on your adjustments.

Ok, a little more follow up for you. Just checked my Hayabusa factory service manual.

Of course it has the usual "When replacing the chain, replace the drive chain and sprockets as a set." Hey! Now that I read that carefully, you're changing the sprockets, not the chain, so you should be good to go! Wow, think of all the money we can save from now on if we only change sprockets!!! LOL :rofl:

At the bottom of the page, the manual says:
Count out 21 pins (20 pitches) on the chain and measure the distance between the two points.
If the distance exceeds the service limit, the chain must be replaced.

DATA Drive chain 20-pitch length
Service limit: 319.4mm (12.57 in)

Below this is a drawing showing a caliper measuring pin-to-pin distance between 21 pins.

So suggest you make your decision based on the actual condition of your chain. If you are nowhere near the service limit specified above, then you should be good to go.

Hope this helps. - AJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I know about what the service manual says and how to check a chain to make sure it is in good condition. That is why I tried to explain that it was in good condition. Manuals say all kinds of things for legal reasons and to sell parts.:rulez: I was just looking for a little help from someone who had gone against the grain and tried it. Guess I will just bite the bullet and give it try. I will just have to keep an eye on it and if I see unsual wear and tear replace them as a set.

There will always be the purists that say, "always change them out together". That is the best way, we all know that. I go between 40, 42 and 43 tooth sprockets all the time with the same ft spkt and chain. I think as long as you keep your eye on wear...go for it!
In these times, I'd not throw away a super low mileage chain either.

There will always be the purists that say, "always change them out together". That is the best way, we all know that. I go between 40, 42 and 43 tooth sprockets all the time with the same ft spkt and chain. I think as long as you keep your eye on wear...go for it!
In these times, I'd not throw away a super low mileage chain either.

Thanks raydog glad to hear from someone one who has done this. What size front are you running. I am looking at a 16 front 42/43 rear. This is what I have run in my other bikes and I liked it.

I keep the front @ 17...that's a bigger size (although stock) and I believe bigger is better in front so the chain doesn't have to make too radical a turnaround (like a 15 for example). It has always worked for me in terms of chain life. I simply get the ratio I want by switching out the rear sprocket only. Raydog

P1010335.JPG

Looking for some one who has experience with using new sprockets with old chain. My chain and sprockets have 3000 miles on them. I clean, lube and adjust chain every 300-400 miles. It basically stays spotless. My sprockets show almost now wear and the chain is in perfect condition.

I understand that you dont want to put a new chain on worn sprockets or vise versa but I show almost now wear on mine. No binding links or bad rollers or excessive stretch on the chain. I just don't want to toss a perfectly good chain in the garabage if I can avoid it. Also not trying to be rude but i'm looking for responses from people who have actually done this. Not my friend, dealer or mechanic says kind of responses please. Maybe someone who races at different tracks and changes gearing could chime in. Thanks in advance for any help.

16/42 is a good set up...with only 3,000 miles on your chain...you will be fine :thumbsup:

I keep the front @ 17...that's a bigger size (although stock) and I believe bigger is better in front so the chain doesn't have to make too radical a turnaround (like a 15 for example). It has always worked for me in terms of chain life. I simply get the ratio I want by switching out the rear sprocket only. Raydog

Yeah a 15 is rough on a chain. I have used 16 in the past and seems to be ok on the chain as long as you keep it clean and adjusted. Plus if you go up a few in the rear it takes a little stress off of the chain as it goes around the smaller front sprocket. I would go with a 17/43 but I don't think that will give me the increase I am looking for. I am a good size guy so the bike needs all the help it can get.:laugh:

I've done it and no probs whatsoever :thumbsup: 3000 miles on a well maintained chain is super low.....you'll be fine :beerchug:

Yeah a 15 is rough on a chain. I have used 16 in the past and seems to be ok on the chain as long as you keep it clean and adjusted. Plus if you go up a few in the rear it takes a little stress off of the chain as it goes around the smaller front sprocket. I would go with a 17/43 but I don't think that will give me the increase I am looking for. I am a good size guy so the bike needs all the help it can get.:laugh:

"I am a good size guy so the bike needs all the help it can get"......

The Hayabusa isn't concerned with your weight Brother and it seriously doesn't need any help at all... :oldcool: ....change the sprockets, keep the chain well serviced, and get out there and RIDE !!!! :super:

"I am a good size guy so the bike needs all the help it can get"......

The Hayabusa isn't concerned with your weight Brother and it seriously doesn't need any help at all... :oldcool: ....change the sprockets, keep the chain well serviced, and get out there and RIDE !!!! :super:

I am going to change the sprockets for sure but wont be doing much riding unless the damn snow stops around here.:banghead:

What brand sprockets do you guys recommend for the busa. Used renthal on the ZX-10 but light weight sprockets are not a good idea for the busa. I am looking for some harden steel ones.

I swap sprockets on and off the bike 3-4 times a year depending on what I'm doing. 16-18 on the front and 40-42 on the rear in different combinations. I get 20K-25K out of the chain (ZZZ). I don't know exactly what mileage I get out of the sprockets since I don't keep track of the mileage each sprocket is on the bike. Just make sure that all your parts are in good condition.

I am going to change the sprockets for sure but wont be doing much riding unless the damn snow stops around here.:banghead:

What brand sprockets do you guys recommend for the busa. Used renthal on the ZX-10 but light weight sprockets are not a good idea for the busa. I am looking for some harden steel ones.

I'm running a sidewinder Titanium rear sprocket for every day use. Vortex steel front sprockets.

Back