is my chain shot????

oldhat

Registered
OK...the bike has around 3K on it. put a new front sprocket on it about 1K ago. Before the new sprocket, I went through the chain stretching since it was new....had to tighten it two or three times. After I put the new front sprocket on, I knew the chain was too damn tight but I was too lazy to deal with it. Have about 1K with the new sprocket...SO..........last night I checked the chain and its looser than a 25 cent hooker! So....did I stretch it out to the point I should put a new one on??? anyone?? anyone?? Buehler??

sled, all I can tell you is that I went throught he same thing on the stock chain....I must have adjusted it 30 times in 7000 miles. After putting the DID zvm 530 xring on, the only time I readjust is after a new tire goes on. True story. Best $140 I have spent.

You will have to measure the chain per manufactures spec's then and only then can you determine if it is in fact stretched beyond its limits.... The number of adjustments you make will have little bearing on whether its good or not! Everyone is a little different on what is loose/tight.

Is it something you want to even have to think about? Considering the damage t hese things cause when they let go get a new one that can handle what bike dish's out. EK530ZVX came out on top after all the research I did. I had to adjust my chain after everyother ride and it was rediculous. Finally after it stretched to the point of being on the last adjustment mark, I bought a new one and have only had to adjust it once after the first ride. I have no confidence in the factory chain and it is worth the insurance and piece of mind with one more thing I don't have to worry about.
smile.gif

http://www.ekchain.com/sport.htm

check and see if it has tighter and looser spots if it dose then i suggest it's time for a change other wise

I always take the chain and see what kinda slack there is in the links but thats the farmer way of checking a worn chain might not work so well on sport bike chain i just put a new one on every year so prob solved

It sounds like somthing is NOT right.
I am assuming you replaced the front sprocket for a gearing change, because at 3k, it should not be worn out.

Put it on a stand, rotate the rear wheel, looking for tight spots. You could have an out of round rear sprocket, or just a very bad alignment. The best way to check the chain is to measure the pin to pin distance of the links. ( the service limit is in the manual)

The quick and dirty way is to pull the rearmost link away from the sprocket, if you see more than half a tooth, start replacing parts.

Remember, it is a good idea to replace chain and sprockets together. They work as a team, and wear on one will rush wear on another part of the team.

Oh, shouldn't this be in the problems forum?
laugh.gif

Let us know what you find, and good luck.

nothing will screw your chain quicker than running it too tight.

be thankful it didnt brake and rip bits of your bike / leg up

replace it and next time you think it is too tight get off ya ass and loosen it.

moX

at 3k i dont think you need a new chain!! I sugges you tighten it... loose couple of links if you have to. its hould all be good after that

at 3k i dont think you need a new chain!! I sugges you tighten it... loose couple of links if you have to. its hould all be good after that
I couldn't disagree more on this one. The factory chains have shown a perpensity for breaking and causing high dollar damage. I got about 3000 miles out of my factory before it had stretched to the last adjustment indicator and yes it was lubed and adjusted after every other ride with a cold chain, and to factory specs.

If your are suggesting taking out links to make up for the difference your nuts. You could not get a link out and still fit the chain anyway but it is a foolish concept to boot. If the chain has stretched that far it is bad, no need to measure for tight links, pin to pin distance or side play. The thing has stretched to far and that is all you need to know. Get rid of it and put one on that will perform and give you piece of mind.
smile.gif

Wow, I'm at 16k on my factory chain, but I keep having to adjust it all the time, guess I need to check it again it may have to go soon.
I have been told it's a good idea to replace both sprockets at the same time too.

Back