Clunking noise

04 Limited Busa

Registered
On my last couple of rides, I noticed a clunking noise from the left side of my bike around front countershaft area. My first thought was a loose chain, but the first time I looked at it, it didn't seem too loose, must have been around 1400 miles. The chain was adjusted at 700 miles at the 600 mile checkup. Today, it clunked again at most every start from stop, but no problems after that, even at 130 mph. I got home and checked the chain and it seemed loose this time. My question is, how often are you having to adjust the chain and has anyone experienced this clunk?

5000 miles and I have never had to adjust the chain. Go to a different dealer and ask why your brand new bike is clunking. After my 600 mile service, my front brakes squeeked so I went to a different dealer and they found that everything on the front wheel was overtightened. That fixed it. My point is-you will read several dealer horror stories here. Go to a few untill you find one that knows what they're doing.

check the measurement of the chain.. there should be 20-30mm (.8-1.2 in) of slack in the middle of the chain between the front and rear sprockets on the bottom side.

try to narrow it down a little closer than the left side.. then post where it is if u dont have a manual and we can help more so.. theres like 7 things under engine noise. if it isnt the chain that is..

Is the chain lubed properly? Sometimes they get dirty/rusty and kind of sticks coming off the sprocket. That make any sense?

Sounds like the chain to me. Hopefully that's all that it is...
rock.gif

Back