Clutch Noise Clunk, Clunk, Clunk.... Did Search

MOCKIN U

Registered
Spent some time today searching before I tear her apart tomorrow to start searching for my issue. I figured you guys who would know some specifics to look for when taking the basket apart. Before I go into my issue I have done work on my old srad and went about that very methodically so your efforts and suggestions wont go to waste as I am trying to get it right.

This is a pic I took of that one broken down:

IMG_1633.jpg

That all being said.....

When I let the clutch out and in gear I get a pretty good clunk, clunk, clunk as it engages and as I take off. For a while it would go away and yesterday we had nice weather in wisconsin here so I took her out and I started to hear it while riding very slightly. I went off on a back road alone and started and stopped.....if I pulled the clutch in it would stop but as soon as I let the clutch out and gave throttle to go again the clunk, clunk, clunk would be there if at lower rpms and speed and I could feel it in the case on my right boot. It doesnt slip, I dont have any issues riding or getting going it doesnt matter if I hammer on the throttle and release the clutch slow or not I still get the sound.

I have adjusted the chain slack.
I have checked all the sprockets
Oil has been changed twice since I owned it.

So tomorrow I am taking the case off to see what might be in there and obvious. What things should I look for while in there?

had this the other day and thought it will be okay until I get her home, got to the bottom of my street and then the clunk's turned into a really bad rattle, I stopped straight away and pushed her home, got it I'm to the garage and started the engine it was fine around up straight but put it on the side stand and the rattle would start again, turns out a bolt had sheared on the clutch basket and the rest of them were loose, I have had to change the oil and filter and run a flush through the engine, there wee loads of little shards of metal off the bolt and spring, made a right mess inside the casing, Fact:: If thereups a noise like that coming from a Busa stop riding it and check it out ASAP, save yourself some money and a whole lot of grief, A lesson learned for me

Well finally dug into it. Got the clutch cover off and nothing visually wrong so got it down to the basket bolts and not a single one was loose. Took those out with the clutch springs and checked the nut on the basket and it was solid. Checked all the plates and springs and nothing wrong there.

Checked all the teeth on the outside of the assembly and none were missing. I didnt take it completely out because in the manual it mentions possible worn countershaft spline but figured I would not see anything to be able to tell whats wrong.

In the process of putting it back togther I broke the bolt that goes into the clutch spring so have to find that and that part it screws into. No big deal

I also stripped the other side fairings off and checked the sprocket also and nothing issue there either.

I am getting a rotational clunk in lower rpms that is so loud another rider next to me can hear it. It appears at take off and typically knocks 2-5 times it seems and doesnt matter if take off hard or not. Does it in first or second gear. When I am riding along at 4000 just cruising I can hear the same type sound very lightly and is still there when I pull the clutch in...I thought at first it went away. The sound is like someone is whacking the left side of the motor by my foot with a solid rubber hammer.

Its on stands in the garage for the next few days until I get that lil pos bolt ordered in so if you guys have any suggestions on what to look at or check for I will otherwise I think its gotta go into a shop to have them look at it. Might be beyond my skill level to diagnose.

I had a clunk coming from mine last month after I put in a new clutch in Dec. It happened almost every time I took off and sometimes between 1st and 2nd gear. I checked the chain slack like you and everything seemed fine. Well, I put it up on the rear stand and turned the wheel and I had a link in my chain binding. I cleaned the chain with kerosene very well and lubed it, all is well. It sounded pretty loud, like it was coming from the clutch. I guess the link binding over the small sprocket transfered the noise thru it. Just something too look at.

okay.....now I will say my chain is kinda noisy. When rolling the wheel and it in neutral up on the stand the chain makes more noise then I really think it should. more like a clicking noise as it passes thru. I'll clean it up real good too and see whats up

I had the exact same symptoms a couple of months ago. The chain seemed to be the proper tightness but it had stretched a little. Anyway, I finally noticed that the sound was coming from the left side of the bike. I replaced the chain, no more clunking.

I agree its definately left side. So much so I kept checking the chain/alignment/sprocket and such. hmm Im about to stretch it a small amount so that will bring a new chain

i had a similar problem like this last season.. turned out to be my rear sprocket bolt worked it's way loose, it finally sheared off. check the rear sprocket bolts

Really hope it's your main drive chain, especially since you didn't find anything wrong with the clutch. This should serve as a warning to everybody to check the easy stuff first. You might have saved a whole lotta work (and worry) if you had found a bad drive chain.

And this sage advice comes from a guy who was so sure I had blown a head gasket on my car that I parked it in the driveway for two weeks while I ordered a coolant pressure tester and a tester that looks for exhaust in the coolant system, only to find a $&%@ rubber hose that held pressure until it got up to temperature, and then it sprayed all over the place. I still feel pretty stupid about that, but at least I got new tools to park on the shelf. LOL :laugh:

Got her all back together and went for a long ride today with my guys. All this week I messed with various things and when it was on the stand I had a tiny amount of play in the rear wheel. It wasnt lateral it was when I had a hold of the chain and moved the wheel......who called it??? The damn cush drive rubbers were worn out. Created a little play and cause the chain to track different and gave me my noise by front sprocket

MOCKIN U said:
Got her all back together and went for a long ride today with my guys. All this week I messed with various things and when it was on the stand I had a tiny amount of play in the rear wheel. It wasnt lateral it was when I had a hold of the chain and moved the wheel......who called it??? The damn cush drive rubbers were worn out. Created a little play and cause the chain to track different and gave me my noise by front sprocket

Many people often try to over complicate the problem and jump to making diagnosis that overlook the things that are simplest to confirm and cheapest to fix.

Back