Put in hard rubber cush drive dampers...now a clunk?

The Big Red One

Registered
I put in some high performance, hard rubber cush drive dampers...now I have a pretty annoying clunk when getting on and off the throttle. The chain and sprockets have a little over 7k miles on them, and are in good shape. This is the first time I've used these types of cush rubbers, I'm wondering if this is typical, or if I have another prob? Thanks for any feedback :thumbsup:

Chain slack ????......I run KPS and they definitely added a little ratchet-noise from the sprocket to the chain on accel/decel......no matter how it's adjusted..... :oldcool:

or, you forgot your spacer.....

I put in some high performance, hard rubber cush drive dampers...now I have a pretty annoying clunk when getting on and off the throttle. The chain and sprockets have a little over 7k miles on them, and are in good shape. This is the first time I've used these types of cush rubbers, I'm wondering if this is typical, or if I have another prob? Thanks for any feedback :thumbsup:

I remember long ago when these became public I said that problems would arise...

I was told I was wrong....

sorry that it sounds like I am probably right

purpose of cush rubbers is to help soften the blow to the dogs in your trans.

Without a cushion the vibration and direct forces would slowly whittle out your dogs and create slop.

You know...slop that would create a clunking noise as your bike accels or decels abruptly.

I just put these new cush rubbers in....they have maybe 3-400 miles on them. My stockers were shot at 7k miles :omg: Chains tensioned perfectly, and the bike only has 7k total miles on it. I'm thinking its either the hard rubbers transmitting more shock through the bike, or else my front sprockets come loose. I changed my front sprocket out to a 16 tooth almost 6k miles ago, torqued it to spec, so I'm kinda doubting it suddenly decided to come loose now?
I never thought about transmitting more shock to the tranny tho 4Life, def something to think about....in fact I might even go back to stockers if the clunk is being caused by the hard rubbers ;)

I just put these new cush rubbers in....they have maybe 3-400 miles on them. My stockers were shot at 7k miles :omg: Chains tensioned perfectly, and the bike only has 7k total miles on it. I'm thinking its either the hard rubbers transmitting more shock through the bike, or else my front sprockets come loose. I changed my front sprocket out to a 16 tooth almost 6k miles ago, torqued it to spec, so I'm kinda doubting it suddenly decided to come loose now?
I never thought about transmitting more shock to the tranny tho 4Life, def something to think about....in fact I might even go back to stockers if the clunk is being caused by the hard rubbers ;)

experiment....put the stockers back in and see if the noise stays.

but odds are if the slop is in your trans already...the stiffer cushions only made the noise more pronounced.

I LIKE THEM DONT SEE HOW THEY COULD HURT TRANNY.
If you put bike in gear+it moves slightly then your cush drive is worn.

Drag racing takes chunks out of them.

Are your chain adjuster markings on side even?

Back