Chain Mileage

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
I've got an Ek ZZZ chain on my bike. It's a daily driver so a lot of
my miles are piddling thru town and traffic on my way to work.

I bet I got 22,000+ miles on said chain. It is a beast, I've only had to adjust it
once. I've read all the horor stories about the occuring damage of chain breakage
and it's probably created a bit of a healthy phobia in me.
I perform chain mantanance religiously.
She gets wet (and in Fl happens a lot, today as matter of fact)
and the bike gets washed, chain dried, cleaned with kerosene and re-applied
chain wax.

The chain is still within length and the rear sprocket still looks pretty good.

But...22,000+ miles, am I riding on borrowed time? Or would replacing the
chain now just be a waste of money?

Post up your thoughts and the mileage you get outa your chain(s).

Last edited:
I got 27K miles on my stock chain with regular cleaning, lubrication and adjustments. I have over 30K on the EK ZZZ chain, and almost never have to adjust it. I still have the stock sprockets at 65K, and they look like new. :thumbsup:

Chain life depends solely on maintenance!

I have put 30K on chains and they still weren't worn out. If it's not worn to replacement on length measurement, I'd keep running it on a commuter bike. If you are romping the arse off her, change it before it gives you heartache!

Chain life depends solely on maintenance!

I have put 30K on chains and they still weren't worn out. If it's not worn to replacement on length measurement, I'd keep running it on a commuter bike. If you are romping the arse off her, change it before it gives you heartache!

+1 :thumbsup:

I am at about 22k on the chain I have now and it needs replacing. I am going to have to try this EK ZZZ chain out. It sounds like the perfect chain for me.

What's the best price out there on a EK ZZZ chain for the Busa? I'll probably use that once the stock is done. And what's the best sprockets to pair with it?

I replaced my stocker w/ a EK ZZZ and was told by alot of people that it would outlast the life of the bike w/ routine care. The only downfall is you should not run these chains w/ aluminum sprockets (Vortex), they'll grind down the teeth like nothing from what I've heard. Best thing would probably be a "SuperSprox" sprocket, best of both worlds.

I changed out the stock o-ring RK chain with just over 20k on the odometer .
I bought a new gold x-ring RK and fully expect to get 20k out of it .
At the same time I got 17/43 JT steel sprockets .
I figure the stock steel ones lasted well ... why mess with a good thing ...

At 20k on the clock I had just surpassed the service manual spec for pin measurement by about 1/16th of an inch . I am fairly anal about chain maint. like wipe down with wax/grease remover on a rag , then re-apply Maxima chain wax about every other ride .

Whatever you do, DO NOT use Vortex Aluminum sprockets!!! Mine was toast at 10k miles but the original steel ones lasted 35k miles. I'm going back to steel...

Back