surface rust on chain

Ban-One

Registered
I bought an RK 520XSO chain that now has about 4k miles on it. I clean and lube the chain every weekend, and if I ride threw rain, I will clean and lube there after as well. I clean with kerosene and use Motoline chain lube
IMG_0162.jpg

Well I have a lot of surface rust on my chain.
IMG_0155.jpg
Is there a way to get rid of it? Should there be warranty as well?

honestly I do not know. someone will chime in soon. I have only seen rust on a chain like that on an old chain on a bike that hadn't been rode in a long time.

I doubt rk will help you out much but call them and ask.

I say do the best you can and if it doesn't work replace it and the sprockets

Chain made of steel with high carbon content, which adds lubrication naturally. Thus it corrodes pretty easy, this is normal, don't worry about it. Suggest trying a different lube, such as Bel Ray, or Chain wax.

There are lots of different thoughts on chain life, it sounds as if you are perhaps over doing it with the cleaning and lube.

Longest chain life is protecting the chain from dust mixing with the lubricant, this forming grinding paste and accelerated wear. You can ride a chain a 1,000 miles without touching it, but the first time you ride roads with dust, such as after the rain, or in a rain storm, is the best time to clean and lube.

On my dirt bike, when riding bad trails, I actually ride a completely dry squeeky chain, to prevent stuff sitting on the lube and grinding things away.

My chain has some surface rust on the plates too. Got there last winter when I rode on a damp road that still had some salt residue left on it. Washed the bike as soon as I got home but the chain plates still rusted some. Other than a slight cosmetic issue it won't hurt anything. I clean my chain with Kerosene and lube it with Maxima chain wax ever so ofter, no set schedule just whenever the mood strikes me. Got almost 13,000 miles on the stock chain & sprockets with no sign of wear.
That little bit of rust you have there isn't going to hurt anything, might look a little rough, but will have no bearing what so ever on your chain/sprocket lifespan.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's a pretty dry looking chain, you sure ya got some lube on it? ???

+1. You need to lube it better, or with a beter lube. I use chain wax on mine. It may look bad, but it isn't hurting the chain. A good cleaning and lubin should solve that.

If you lube your chain every weekend, no way there should be rust on it. Do you store you bike outside next to the house?

I hear what you're saying about cleaning and lubing. I would try a good chain wax and don't wipe it down after applying. The wax doesn't sling unless you lube and go.

Well I bought from Cycle Gear. At least I think that it was a 520. I will look on the chain to see if it says anything.

Looks like you live near the beach. Salt water vapor will get to it in a hurry.
Lub inner part,and wipe outer links with a light film of oil, wd40, etc.

Back