Punishment for Capt of carrier deserved or not ?

I have to disagree with the decision to remove him from command. It is a tradition in the Navy to carry out what we call in the Royal Navy the crossing the line ceremony. Whereby King Neptune and his court of mermaids, bears and Policeman (normally played by members of the Chiefs mess) are warmly invited onboard a Navy ship to collect payment for crossing the equator zero degrees latitude. The whole ship company take part including the Captain. There is a lot of banter and for all those sailors that have not crossed the line before they have to pay pennance. Which usually involves swallowing a foul pill, made by the chefs involving flour, curry powder and hot chilli and then a dunking in King Neptunes pool as a sign that the sailor had crossed the line.

Also after long deployments and towards the end of the deployment, all messdecks are invited to take part in the SODS opera Ship Operatic Drama Society. Nothing is out of bounds and it is a way for all sailors to let off steam and put on a show. There is a lot of piss taking but everything is taken in the spirit intended. It really is a sight to behold and i was lucky enough to have seen and taken part in a few.

It just seems that in this case the media got hold of it and the US Navy Hierarchy had no room to manouvere.

Trust me these shows that are put on are vital for morale especiallly after a long and gruelling 7 month plus deployment.

Give him his job back. Sounds like a good XO to me, keeping up the troops morale.

Last edited:
I would say the Navy dropped the ball.....

This is not acceptable, and although at the time it may have been needed, even improved the morale of the crew. If the Navy had diciplined him, and dealt with it years ago this would not be a big issue. the Navy could have chosen how to "reprimand him", but they did not....

They tried to ignore it, and one it got out....had to act in a way make the civilians and politicians happy.

I have to disagree with the decision to remove him from command. It is a tradition in the Navy to carry out what we call in the Royal Navy the crossing the line ceremony. Whereby King Neptune and his court of mermaids, bears and Policeman (normally played by members of the Chiefs mess) are warmly invited onboard a Navy ship to collect payment for crossing the equator zero degrees latitude. The whole ship company take part including the Captain. There is a lot of banter and for all those sailors that have not crossed the line before they have to pay pennance. Which usually involves swallowing a foul pill, made by the chefs involving flour, curry powder and hot chilli and then a dunking in King Neptunes pool as a sign that the sailor had crossed the line.

Also after long deployments and towards the end of the deployment, all messdecks are invited to take part in the SODS opera Ship Operatic Drama Society. Nothing is out of bounds and it is a way for all sailors to let off steam and put on a show. There is a lot of piss taking but everything is taken in the spirit intended. It really is a sight to behold and i was lucky enough to have seen and taken part in a few.

It just seems that in this case the media got hold of it and the US Navy Hierarchy had no room to manouvere.

Trust me these shows that are put on are vital for morale especiallly after a long and gruelling 7 month plus deployment.

Give him his job back. Sounds like a good XO to me, keeping up the troops morale.

+1

I couldn't remember the name for "SODS" night. These things are NAVY (and Marine Corps - if you're aboard ship at the time) tradition that the officers take part in, spectate, and comment/cheer on as well. The media is pushing the military around now and in doing so making the civilian population believe that it should be an issue...

:banghead:

Last edited:
I've got to be honest here, I'd rather have a CO/XO like this than some of the robotic and political CGs/COs/XOs that I had when I was in.

Simple reason? I know the man understands "human". Sure, we are Marines (or Sailors) but when bullets start flying it's training, instinct, experience, and each other. It's that "each other" part of the equation that makes the most difference in terms of keeping up the fight - the other three serve to get you through "situations"; where "each other" get you through the downtime, the letters from home, the boredom, and etc. A CO/XO that can understand downtime and the stupid/goofy things that are done to unwind is ACES in my book.

As the XO, it is one of his primary functions to keep the crew working as a well oiled machine and oil just isn't that dry. To keep morale up. He did that, in my opinion. People function better because they ENJOY doing their job for a leader like this - it becomes less of a job or deployment and more of a common mission.

The CO (Captain of a carrier in this case) is focused more on the big picture, like fleet or battle group operations. He's watching the moving parts and making sure he communicates up and down the chain what his capabilities are and what they need to be. He relies on the XO to handle a lot of the daily "crew" functions, issues, and life in general - among other things.

Simply put. The XO was doing his job. The Navy acknowledged that by giving him the Enterprise, the crew acknowledged that by going about business without filing complaint (and most likely enjoying the comradery), and what he did is in line with Navy tradition, frankly.

Exactly. That's what separates real leaders and warriors from administrators. I worked for some limp#@s in my time, and I also worked for some great leaders whe were willing to take personal and profesional risk for those they led - in this case I'm afraid the risk caught up to him. What a shame.

+1

I couldn't remember the name for "SODS" night. These things are NAVY (and Marine Corps - if you're aboard ship at the time) tradition that the officers take part in, spectate, and comment/cheer on as well. The media is pushing the military around now and in doing so making the civilian population believe that it should be an issue...

:banghead:

When you become a shellback, it is wild fun. When I served as a Navy Sea Bee in Vietnam, if our CO would have been relieved of command for abusive language, we could have had him hung!:laugh: We would have done anything he said though, and was one of the most respected officers in the navy. Still alive today, Adm John Paul Jones Jr. Proud to have served under him. Times are different today though.

Back